A Republican's push for a carbon tax

Trakar

VIP Member
Feb 28, 2011
Carbon tax gets unusual support

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Calls for a carbon tax on fossil fuels like gasoline and coal are coming from a surprising quarter these days -- Republicans.
In recent weeks, several prominent Republican thinkers have floated the idea of imposing higher taxes on gasoline, coal and natural gas. The increases, they say, would be offset by tax cuts on paychecks, dividends or corporate taxes.
A carbon tax is considered heresy to many conservatives. The idea is to tax something society wants less of (in this case pollution) and reduce taxes on things it wants more of (in this case work).
"You just change what you tax, not increase the size of the government," said Bob Inglis, a former Republican member of Congress, in a video interview with CNNMoney.
Inglis said his new organization, the Energy and Enterprise Initiative, is studying various ways the tax could be structured...
(rest of article at above link)
Doesn't surprise me, there are a lot of intelligent and reasonable Republicans.

Unless solar and wind can be as cheap as coal it's morally wrong. People have to choose between gas in their car and food as it is...Raising the price of gas, while renewables are more expensive is going to hurt people. Can you understand this?

Last edited:
Unless solar and wind can be as cheap as coal it's morally wrong. People have to choose between gas in their car and food as it is...Raising the price of gas, while renewables are more expensive is going to hurt people. Can you understand this?

The price of fuel goes up, but the carbon tax pays payroll taxes and funds quarterly or annual refund checks. The tax is a net-zero tax, but they create a disincentive to use fossil fuels and an incentive to improve efficiency and carbon neutral power and transportation.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Calls for a carbon tax on fossil fuels like gasoline and coal are coming from a surprising quarter these days -- Republicans.
In recent weeks, several prominent Republican thinkers have floated the idea of imposing higher taxes on gasoline, coal and natural gas. The increases, they say, would be offset by tax cuts on paychecks, dividends or corporate taxes.
A carbon tax is considered heresy to many conservatives. The idea is to tax something society wants less of (in this case pollution) and reduce taxes on things it wants more of (in this case work).
"You just change what you tax, not increase the size of the government," said Bob Inglis, a former Republican member of Congress, in a video interview with CNNMoney.
Inglis said his new organization, the Energy and Enterprise Initiative, is studying various ways the tax could be structured...

You mean there are sleazy weasel Republicans, just like Democrats. The problem with promises to lower existing taxes in exchange for some new tax is that eventually the existing taxes get raised back up to their previous levels when the voters aren't looking.

This is a classic bait and switch tactic. The European suckers fell for it when they voted for VAT taxes. They were promised their income taxes would be lowered, but now those taxes are right back where they were before the VAT.

Perhaps people should learn to use their cars less.

What happen to freedom? Wasn't that what this nation supposed to be about. :eusa_shhh:

What happen to freedom? Wasn't that what this nation supposed to be about. :eusa_shhh:

One should be as concerned about what is good for the country, and the world.

Yeah, in a perfect world....

Unfortunately we are required to work and raise kids... Trust me, I use mine as little as possible.

They can tax anything they want to, but as long as they keep spending like there is no tomorrow.. we will NEVER get this nation back on track.

The problem is in Washington DC, not under the hood of my truck :mad:

Im laughing................more leftist fantasies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/07/us/politics/07carbon.html?_r=1

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/26/science/earth/26climate.html

The House is going to remain red until at least 2020 ( due to governors redistricting efforts ). Only those with fabulous imaginations think a carbon tax is happening soon................even the New York Times knows its laughable.

Last edited:

Unfortunately we are required to work and raise kids... Trust me, I use mine as little as possible.

They can tax anything they want to, but as long as they keep spending like there is no tomorrow.. we will NEVER get this nation back on track.

More people should be like you, many people are just too damn lazy.

Who? Some minor league former Congress critter said what?

AGW= enviromarxism. It's a cult, it's not science

We need to outsource our progressives maybe to perfect carbon footprint north Korea

We need to outsource our progressives maybe to perfect carbon footprint north Korea

If you set a good example at home, it's a lot easier to negotiate and change abroad.

You should stop posting on the Internet. You use electricity to run your computer and servers, using up "fossil fuels" hence you are melting the ice caps by posting your dire "AGW is fo'shizzle!" warning.

For the love of Gaia, get off the Internet!

If you set a good example at home, it's a lot easier to negotiate and change abroad.

You should stop posting on the Internet. You use electricity to run your computer and servers, using up "fossil fuels" hence you are melting the ice caps by posting your dire "AGW is fo'shizzle!" warning.

My personal energy is suppied renewably, our local power is primarily hydro, the mirroring of the site-frames into other nodes around the region, nation and planet are going to happen whether or not I post. I am in good stead with my conscience, how about you? What share of you local power is not generated from coal or oil? Have you just tried to pay the % of your bills that come from using coal and oil to keep from rewarding people for producing renewable energy? If not, why not?

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD

Government-Snow-Plow.gif

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

My personal energy is suppied renewably, our local power is primarily hydro, the mirroring of the site-frames into other nodes around the region, nation and planet are going to happen whether or not I post. I am in good stead with my conscience, how about you? What share of you local power is not generated from coal or oil? Have you just tried to pay the % of your bills that come from using coal and oil to keep from rewarding people for producing renewable energy? If not, why not?

Not, because your "Science" is a fraud worse than Piltdown Man and far more obvious too. I live for the day when real scientist at colleges and Universities boot you lying fuckers to the curb for disparaging their institutions

We get 25% of our power from nuclear and the house run on gas so we're all good here.

Forum List

Back