A reminder about what Trump is up against, WTO ruling in 2015 against meat labelling harming America

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This one is worth rehashing with Trump now in office and clearly upset with NAFTA and the massive abuses by foreign governments against America and American workers. I have to think that Trump is looking at issues such as this in his dealings with Mexico and Canada. I can tell you, as someone who has suffered greatly for my principled stance against Canadian abuses that if the WTO ever had any credibility, it would have no other obligation but to rule against Canadian covert police interference in American corporations and businesses in Canada. As I've said before, NAFTA grievance does not allow for whistleblower protections and processes (I think any new deal should).

Here is a ruling by the WTO against meat labelling. Basically in this case, even if a source country has multiple examples of say, Mad Cows Disease, which Canada did a few years ago, the WTO is ruling against America for asking for livestock source country. This is clearly a health issue, but the WTO sided with Canada and Mexico, and why? Excessive globalism trumps (pardon the pun) nation state rights.

Yet, I might add, the WTO has no problem welcoming a serial trade abuser, human right violator like China into the fold. International organizations are clearly losing their credibility, America has to lead the way in helping to force the reinvention and challenge these agencies to change or whiter away.

World Trade Organization sides with Canada, Mexico in meat labelling dispute with U.S.

The World Trade Organization has sided with Canada and Mexico in a trade battle with the U.S. over labelling rules, allowing the countries to proceed in efforts to impose US$1 billion in annual retaliatory tariffs.

The ruling Monday is the latest development in the dispute over U.S. country-of-origin labelling (COOL) rules. The Geneva-based agency’s dispute settlement body didn’t grant Canada and Mexico the full sum of tariffs they were seeking — instead ruling their export losses to date were less than claimed.

Canada’s Liberal government, which took power Nov. 4, welcomed the ruling and said it would retaliate if the U.S. doesn’t repeal the labelling measures.

“If the U.S. Senate does not take immediate action to repeal COOL for beef and pork, Canada will quickly take steps to retaliate,” the Canadian government said in a statement jointly released Monday by International Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland and Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister Lawrence MacAulay. “Canada continues to work with our partners in the United States, and in the U.S. Senate, to urge the full repeal of the discriminatory COOL policy for beef and pork.”

Forum List

Back