A Recruiting Poster

Why You Should Stay the Hell Away From the American Military

Some advice: Don’t get shot in the face. I don’t care what your friends tell you, it isn’t a good idea. Further, avoid corneal transplants if you can. If you find a coupon for one, in a box of Cracker Jacks maybe, toss it. Transplants are miserable things. Unless you really need one. What am I talking about? Eyes, and losing them, and getting them back. On this, I am an accidental authority.

Long long ago, in a far galaxy, the United States was bringing democracy to Viet Nam, which had barely heard of it and didn’t want it anyway. As an expression of their desire to be left alone, the locals spent several years shooting Americans. I was one of them: a young dumb Marine with little idea either where I was or why. But that was common in those days.

How would our military have benefited from the exponential advancements in weaponry, combat gear, armor, battlefield medicine, and communications gear if we hadn't been involved in some skirmish or another? Were it not for those, we would still be wearing ineffective M1 steel pot helmets and crappy Vietnam-era flak jackets, which did virtually nothing to stop a bullet. We would still be using M-16A1 rifles that jammed every few bursts and needed constant cleaning.

We lost 68,000 men and women during the short period of time there were combat troops in Vietnam. The War on Terror has been going on since 2001, and there have only been a fraction of the casualties.
if we minded our own business those needs would not matter- there would be no American casualties if the US actually cared about the Military personnel and didn't serve the MIC.

So what ultimately happens when we practice isolationism while Russia and China continue to develop their military capabilities? You don't develop more advanced weapons systems, battlefield medicine, armor, etc. and just hope and pray they work when the time comes.

We now have the most advanced and strongest military in the world. The military technology created just within the last 15 years is far more advanced than anyone could have imagined in late 60's. The veteran who wrote that piece wouldn't have suffered his eye damage, had he had modern ballistic-protective goggles like the standard issue given to today's soldiers. It took war to develop those. Many of those advances in technology have also been utilized in the civilian world too.

Trade with all is hardly isolationist

Some advice: Don’t get shot in the face. I don’t care what your friends tell you, it isn’t a good idea. Further, avoid corneal transplants if you can. If you find a coupon for one, in a box of Cracker Jacks maybe, toss it. Transplants are miserable things. Unless you really need one. What am I talking about? Eyes, and losing them, and getting them back. On this, I am an accidental authority.

Long long ago, in a far galaxy, the United States was bringing democracy to Viet Nam, which had barely heard of it and didn’t want it anyway. As an expression of their desire to be left alone, the locals spent several years shooting Americans. I was one of them: a young dumb Marine with little idea either where I was or why. But that was common in those days.

How would our military have benefited from the exponential advancements in weaponry, combat gear, armor, battlefield medicine, and communications gear if we hadn't been involved in some skirmish or another? Were it not for those, we would still be wearing ineffective M1 steel pot helmets and crappy Vietnam-era flak jackets, which did virtually nothing to stop a bullet. We would still be using M-16A1 rifles that jammed every few bursts and needed constant cleaning.

We lost 68,000 men and women during the short period of time there were combat troops in Vietnam. The War on Terror has been going on since 2001, and there have only been a fraction of the casualties.
if we minded our own business those needs would not matter- there would be no American casualties if the US actually cared about the Military personnel and didn't serve the MIC.

So what ultimately happens when we practice isolationism while Russia and China continue to develop their military capabilities? You don't develop more advanced weapons systems, battlefield medicine, armor, etc. and just hope and pray they work when the time comes.

We now have the most advanced and strongest military in the world. The military technology created just within the last 15 years is far more advanced than anyone could have imagined in late 60's. The veteran who wrote that piece wouldn't have suffered his eye damage, had he had modern ballistic-protective goggles like the standard issue given to today's soldiers. It took war to develop those. Many of those advances in technology have also been utilized in the civilian world too.

So I take it that you're against the Trade War with China?

I won't go into details but I served during the time in question and I can tell you I highly respect the mud soldier who didn't go to the warm meals, warm showers and dry beds each and every night or even on a weekend. I would just "Visit" their world from time to time. No longer than a 2 week stint. These guys did it for a year at a time, take a break and then do it for another year stint. They would bitch out everything, their lives, the meals (the shortages of meals). the rain, rotting feet, the policies and more. But every morning, they would put on their dry socks and go do it all over again.

Neither you nor I have the right to condemn them for anything, you F***ing premadonna.

I don't recall condemning them- neither did the author who served as a Marine in Vietnam, until he was shot in the face- the article, if you had the sense or the nerve to read it was an accounting of what happened to him and others-he lost his vision and suffered severe cataracts but praised the opthomologists who operated on him- of course that didn't fit in your narrative (which by definition is narrow) so you choose to attack me, the messenger, vs addressing what's actually in the link- is there a reason for that? Does it make you feel better insulting yourself in public?

SMH- reaction is a learned action- response is a thought through action- of course some have to be taught to respond, but, reacting is so much easier so it's usually the path chosen- does the name Pavlov mean anything to you?
I abhor war, especially under false pretense- which ALL or wars since the revolution have been-
All wars since the revolution? Why are you limiting yourself to just wars Americans were involved in? Is it some sort of American all bad thing? :dunno:
Because I live here.
Well the worlds a tad bit bigger than the end of your nose....... :eusa_whistle:
My nose isn't the problem- the US sticking its nose where it doesn't belong is- I don't recall that as enumerated power- can you point it out to me?
I never bother arguing with a demagogue, it's not only a waste of time but it's stupid.

I won't go into details but I served during the time in question and I can tell you I highly respect the mud soldier who didn't go to the warm meals, warm showers and dry beds each and every night or even on a weekend. I would just "Visit" their world from time to time. No longer than a 2 week stint. These guys did it for a year at a time, take a break and then do it for another year stint. They would bitch out everything, their lives, the meals (the shortages of meals). the rain, rotting feet, the policies and more. But every morning, they would put on their dry socks and go do it all over again.

Neither you nor I have the right to condemn them for anything, you F***ing premadonna.

I don't recall condemning them- neither did the author who served as a Marine in Vietnam, until he was shot in the face- the article, if you had the sense or the nerve to read it was an accounting of what happened to him and others-he lost his vision and suffered severe cataracts but praised the opthomologists who operated on him- of course that didn't fit in your narrative (which by definition is narrow) so you choose to attack me, the messenger, vs addressing what's actually in the link- is there a reason for that? Does it make you feel better insulting yourself in public?

SMH- reaction is a learned action- response is a thought through action- of course some have to be taught to respond, but, reacting is so much easier so it's usually the path chosen- does the name Pavlov mean anything to you?
I abhor war, especially under false pretense- which ALL or wars since the revolution have been-
All wars since the revolution? Why are you limiting yourself to just wars Americans were involved in? Is it some sort of American all bad thing? :dunno:
Because I live here.
Well the worlds a tad bit bigger than the end of your nose....... :eusa_whistle:
My nose isn't the problem- the US sticking its nose where it doesn't belong is- I don't recall that as enumerated power- can you point it out to me?

Who says our nose doesn't belong in other places? Especially when the rest of this world stinks so bad. How about the Monroe Doctrine?

You might also get an idea of why we have such a strong foreign policy here, too:

Foreign policy of the United States - Wikipedia

"The officially stated goals of the foreign policy of the United States, including all the Bureaus and Offices in the United States Department of State,[1] as mentioned in the Foreign Policy Agenda of the Department of State, are "to build and sustain a more democratic, secure, and prosperous world for the benefit of the American people and the international community".[2] In addition, the United States House Committee on Foreign Affairs states as some of its jurisdictional goals: "export controls, including nonproliferation of nuclear technology and nuclear hardware; measures to foster commercial interaction with foreign nations and to safeguard American business abroad; international commodity agreements; international education; and protection of American citizens abroad and expatriation"

I don't believe that authority was granted in the constitution- can you point it out?

Because I live here.
I never bother arguing with a demagogue, it's not only a waste of time but it's stupid.

Are you talking to yourself? All you need do is point out where you think I'm incorrect- posting inflammatory rhetoric doesn't accomplish a whole lot-

Because I live here.

Who says our nose doesn't belong in other places? Especially when the rest of this world stinks so bad. How about the Monroe Doctrine?

You might also get an idea of why we have such a strong foreign policy here, too:

"The officially stated goals of the foreign policy of the United States, including all the Bureaus and Offices in the United States Department of State,[1] as mentioned in the Foreign Policy Agenda of the Department of State, are "to build and sustain a more democratic, secure, and prosperous world for the benefit of the American people and the international community".[2] In addition, the United States House Committee on Foreign Affairs states as some of its jurisdictional goals: "export controls, including nonproliferation of nuclear technology and nuclear hardware; measures to foster commercial interaction with foreign nations and to safeguard American business abroad; international commodity agreements; international education; and protection of American citizens abroad and expatriation"

I don't think America is benefited getting our most precious resources killed- the constitution doesn't grant that authority either- empire building wasn't a goal of the founders- they fought to get out from under one- they knew where it led-

It's funny to note that the author of the piece the OP linked (Fred Reed), is what the left would call a "deplorable right-wing racist white-nationalist zealot."

Just look at his take on black Americans: :laughing0301:

"IT IS CURIOUS that blacks, the least educated thirteen percent of the population, the least productive, most criminal, and most dependent on governmental charity, should dominate national politics. Yet they do. Virtually everything revolves around what blacks want, demand, do, or can’t do. Their power seems without limit.

Courses of instruction in the schools, academic rigor, codes of dress, rules regarding unceasing obscenity, all must be set to suit them, as must be examinations for promotion in fire departments, the military, and police forces. Blacks must be admitted to universities for which they are not remotely qualified, where departments of Black Studies must be established to please them. Corporate work forces, federal departments, and elite high-schools must be judged not on whether they perform their functions but on whether they have the right number of blacks."

Fred Reed on Blacks: A Great Writer Misses the Point

Because I live here.

Are you talking to yourself? All you need do is point out where you think I'm incorrect- posting inflammatory rhetoric doesn't accomplish a whole lot-
Yet still you try.......

Because I live here.

I don't think America is benefited getting our most precious resources killed- the constitution doesn't grant that authority either- empire building wasn't a goal of the founders- they fought to get out from under one- they knew where it led-

Fred was most likely a conscript, drafted and pressed into service against his will. Today's military is a much different animal: They are the cream of the crop. They are soldiers because they want to be soldiers, and they fully know what they are getting into. The live by the creed of "Duty, Honor, and Country. They realize that they could be killed or wounded but still they willingly serve, regardless of the danger.

This is not the military old Fred served in, and I seriously doubt that he would even qualify by today's standards.

I don't believe that authority was granted in the constitution- can you point it out?

Easy peasey: The Commerce Clause describes an enumerated power listed in the United States Constitution (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3).

The clause states that the United States Congress shall have power "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes."

Of course the Congress (especially the Democratically-controlled House) understands very little about the Constitution of these United States. Thank God we have such a magnificent President (Donald J. Trump) who is running this county in accordance with the Constitution.

The trade deals President Billy "I did not have sex with that woman" Clinton worked out with China, allowed them to run rampant over our economy by exporting more goods into this country than we export to them. He even worked out a deal to allow them USPS shipping at a far lower rate than other entities, which is why the US Post Office is always claiming that they're "going broke."

Of course, President Donald J. Trump reversed that ruling, so now China has to pay the same shipping rates everyone else does.

Last edited:

Easy peasey: The Commerce Clause describes an enumerated power listed in the United States Constitution (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3).

The clause states that the United States Congress shall have power "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes."

Of course the Congress (especially the Democratically-controlled House) understands very little about the Constitution of these United States. Thank God we have such a magnificent President (Donald J. Trump) who is running this county in accordance with the Constitution.

The trade deals President Billy "I did not have sex with that woman" Clinton worked out with China, allowed them to run rampant over our economy by exporting more goods into this country than we export to them. He even worked out a deal to allow them USPS shipping at a far lower rate than other entities, which is why the US Post Office is always claiming that they're "going broke."

Of course, President Donald J. Trump reversed that ruling, so now China has to pay the same shipping rates everyone else does.
To regulate isn't in question- to intervene is the question and when the gov't limits participants it, by definition, intervenes-
it has no business (or authority) to tell citizens with whom they can trade- that is intervening and favoring, with legalese, which is why we have representation in the first place- to help ensure (not insure) one doesn't have a legal advantage over another- it's an *assumed*, by intentional misinterpretation, power, not granted- and sadly, people can't determine the difference-

We would be speaking German if everyone avoided service in WW2 because they were afraid of getting hurt.
Not near as many Americanswould be hurt if congress did its job and kept its nose out of countries business.

Yeah, I served during that period also, my Marines called me Doc though that was in Panama, missed Nam by two weeks. Nixon had started the draw down and my original orders were changed so I went to Panama instead. Was raised military so had quite a few friends and family go to Nam, seemed like my dad was over there all the time.

Howard AFB 1981-83 ... Combat was brutal down on J Street ... ha ha ha ...

Yeah, I served during that period also, my Marines called me Doc though that was in Panama, missed Nam by two weeks. Nixon had started the draw down and my original orders were changed so I went to Panama instead. Was raised military so had quite a few friends and family go to Nam, seemed like my dad was over there all the time.

Howard AFB 1981-83 ... Combat was brutal down on J Street ... ha ha ha ...
I was at Rodman and the Marine Barracks 1973 -74.

Forum List

Back