A recommended web page.

Sep 12, 2008
3912.jpg
I live by syllogisms: God is love. Love is blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God. I don't know what I'd believe in if it wasn't for that.
— Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report
Logic, my dear Zoe, only allows one to be wrong with authority.
— The Doctor, Doctor Who

Interesting web page on basic logic and fallacies. I think it is well worth inspection.

And yes, I am talking to you Chris, BFGRN, Old Rocks and.....

You Fail Logic Forever

It covers several topics, such as abusive appeal to authority, Non Sequitors in general, False Dilemmas, and the favorite Global Warming goofiness, Sharpshooter. Which recently they have failed.

Also a particular favorite, but one I haven't seen used his the
Four terms fallacy: Using a standard 3-step proof-of-concept to prove your theory, but including one unconnected tenet which breaks the line of reasoning. Results from equivocation. It's best explained by this example from Land Of The Blind:
A dry crust of bread is better than nothing
Nothing is better than a big, juicy steak.
Therefore, a dry crust of bread is better than a big, juicy steak.
This is a very good and funny explanation, and I think it will be a big help to many. So please read and enjoy

why is it when given the chance not to be a dick or be a dick....you always pick being a dick?

i was speaking to the op....he has another thread that is dumbass..which i commented on...sorry mr fitnah....i didnt mean for it to look like i was calling you any names....i just posted and it fail in behind you....i basically only read the first post as i knew it would be the continuation of his dickness....

radio....stop being a doucheBAG!

Last edited:
omg are you watching jersey shore too?

i wanna be like snookie....naw not really......i was okay till they said paulieD was 29....i thought they were 19 to 22 ish

omg are you watching jersey shore too?

i wanna be like snookie....naw not really......i was okay till they said paulieD was 29....i thought they were 19 to 22 ish

Nah, I'm at work.

My wife watches that show, though. She DVR's it and watches it while I'm not around. She tried watching it when I was in the room once, and I complained enough until she finally changed it.

I hate fake-reality egotistical stuck-up so-called "stars" and the shows they are on.

This one, too: Fallacy Files

I posted this once to a lib so that he could see his fallacy. As God is my witness, he said it sounded like a right-wing site and he had no interest in looking at it. He was serious.

Your point? Certainly not that cons distrust sources? That would be a fallacy wouldn't it...

I posted this once to a lib so that he could see his fallacy. As God is my witness, he said it sounded like a right-wing site and he had no interest in looking at it. He was serious.

Your point? Certainly not that cons distrust sources? That would be a fallacy wouldn't it...

Actually, for me, the whole deal on sources is a good point of departure. If you argue and say "So and So said this, therefore it is true." That is a fallacy. It is not false, it is just not proof. The fact Einstein said there are black holes does not prove there are black holes. He made a list of provable assertions which demonstrate that there are black holes. But his word on the matter does not prove the point. This is an important distinction to me.

Now, the assertion that Einstein was an expert, knew what he was talking about , and has been proven correct by other experts does count for a lot but just an appeal to authority is a bad plan.

One should listen to competent authority, of course. But just because an authority said so is meaningless.

And of course, there is the whole issue of "competent" authority. Ben Stein on Economics, I trust very highly. Ben Stein on Biology.. not so much.
Noam Chomsky on Linguistics, cool. Noam Chomsky on Economics, foregettaboutit.

Actually, for me, the whole deal on sources is a good point of departure. If you argue and say "So and So said this, therefore it is true." That is a fallacy. It is not false, it is just not proof. The fact Einstein said there are black holes does not prove there are black holes. He made a list of provable assertions which demonstrate that there are black holes. But his word on the matter does not prove the point. This is an important distinction to me.

Now, the assertion that Einstein was an expert, knew what he was talking about , and has been proven correct by other experts does count for a lot but just an appeal to authority is a bad plan.

One should listen to competent authority, of course. But just because an authority said so is meaningless.

And of course, there is the whole issue of "competent" authority. Ben Stein on Economics, I trust very highly. Ben Stein on Biology.. not so much.
Al Gore on climate change..........

Closed minds...

Hard to deal with em.:cool:

Em? Emma is hard to deal with? I think not.

*Disclaimer: The above is a joke. And... CG is on her 4th glass of champagne. Just sayin'.:eusa_whistle:*

Closed minds...

Hard to deal with em.:cool:

Em? Emma is hard to deal with? I think not.

*Disclaimer: The above is a joke. And... CG is on her 4th glass of champagne. Just sayin'.:eusa_whistle:*

Booozer!!!!:eusa_angel:

And yet the argument made by Stein on biology and Chomsky on economics may be perfectly valid. In a logical argument it's the message not the messenger that is relevant.

And I do commend you on broaching the subject of logical fallacies. If we actually understood them and then understood how we, ourselves, use them there would be much more intellectual honesty in our arguments.

New Topics

Forum List

Back