A Reasonable Solution To The Gay Marriage Debate

It's marriage. They are married in several states in the union. Sorry that trips your trigger.

Ellen and Portia. Married.

Two women. Married.

Not 'unionized'. They have a marriage.

You say that a dog is a cat but it is still a dog.

No, actually. Dogs are dogs and cats are cats - and all of that has nothing to do with the fact that many gay couples are married today, and there is not jack shit you can do about it.

Dear BD Boop, Virtually every civilization in recorded history has instituted marriage to insure that both parents are legally responsible for raising their children. Call gay unions what you will, but they have nothing to do with the intended purpose of marriage.

Our American laws will enforce the same obligations on gay as well as straight parents, garyganu. You have nothing to worry about. But is suspect this is not a legal argument really, just a stalking horse for a moral or religious one. You are in the vast minority of those who feel your way in the forty and under set. Your way is going to be extinct in America in fifty years as the passenger pigeon.

No, actually. Dogs are dogs and cats are cats - and all of that has nothing to do with the fact that many gay couples are married today, and there is not jack shit you can do about it.

Dear BD Boop, Virtually every civilization in recorded history has instituted marriage to insure that both parents are legally responsible for raising their children. Call gay unions what you will, but they have nothing to do with the intended purpose of marriage.

Dear Gary, the world used to be flat and slavery was the order of the day. These people are married. YOU are twisting the truth, at which point it ceases to be the truth.

Our American laws will enforce the same obligations on gay as well as straight parents, garyganu. You have nothing to worry about. But is suspect this is not a legal argument really, just a stalking horse for a moral or religious one. You are in the vast minority of those who feel your way in the forty and under set. Your way is going to be extinct in America in fifty years as the passenger pigeon.

Jake, I take no pleasure in saying that the United states may be extinct in 50 years because of the beliefs, behaviors and attitudes of the forty and under set.

The sensible solution is to make civil unions legal and equal to marriage in every legal way. Let the religions keep the title "marriage" and let the gays have the privileges that married people enjoy.

So all religious ceremonies result in a marriage and all civil ceremonies result in a civil union?

My wife and I went to a Justice of the Peace. If I get teh same benefits, I am fine with saying I am civilly unionized.

Dear Gary, the world used to be flat and slavery was the order of the day. These people are married. YOU are twisting the truth, at which point it ceases to be the truth.

BDBoop, It is odd how the word marriage has a different meaning in 6 states.

No it's not. The rest will catch up.

The sensible solution is to make civil unions legal and equal to marriage in every legal way. Let the religions keep the title "marriage" and let the gays have the privileges that married people enjoy.

So all religious ceremonies result in a marriage and all civil ceremonies result in a civil union?

My wife and I went to a Justice of the Peace. If I get teh same benefits, I am fine with saying I am civilly unionized.

And your wife?

Except that gays can adopt or have children with outside assistance. At which point the same intended purpose you claim for marriage would apply.

It is also funny that you claim the purpose for marriage is all about children, but straight couples who marry and do not procreate still receive the same benefits.

And your wife?

She still seems taken with me. So our union is still civil.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

fortunately, ignorant assholes are easily recognizable in all fifty states and a majority of canadian provinces.

so you've got that going for you, which is good

Gary, the union will be fine in 50 years. We survived the end of slavery, the end of fascism, the end of communism, and we will survive the end of sexual bigotry.

They can keep their rights here on earth. But for eternity, I will stick to the Biblical plan, man & woman, which is the natural way.

Except that gays can adopt or have children with outside assistance. At which point the same intended purpose you claim for marriage would apply.

It is also funny that you claim the purpose for marriage is all about children, but straight couples who marry and do not procreate still receive the same benefits.

The purpose of marriage is not to get benefits. Our society bestows benefits that are mostly related to the rearing of children which are offered regardless of marital status. Historically, marriage was necessary to identify the parents (fathers) of children and hold them responsible for supporting their children. Although some married couples do not have children, all children do have parents and the ruling authority wanted to know who was responsible for each child.

Last edited:
Yes, and historically the family unit has evolved so that same sex couples can have and raise children.

Why would anyone care if someone else marries someone of the same sex?

What possible difference could it make to you?

RW. You and I should form a SupeHero unit that flies to the rescue of anyone on the Board who is being forced to marry someone of his or her own sex. I think we should make sure no one is ever forced to marry that way against their will. Up for it?

Forum List

Back