A realistic way to significantly reduce oil consumption

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
If the government MUST be involved in getting people to reduce oil consumption...

-Leave CAFE where it is.
-Allow people to buy whatever car they want. Generous, I know. :eusa_whistle:
-For every 1 MPG under CAFE, the buyer pays 1% of the sticker in tax.
-For every 1 MPG over CAFE, the buyer receives 1% of the sticker in tax credit, to be paid out from revenue generated above

Example:
CAFE: 27.5MPG
Cadillac Escalade - $65,000, 17MPG
Tax: $6825
Honda Fit - $15500, 38MPG
Tax Credit: $1627.50

This allows people absolute freedom of choice, won't cost a dime of additional revenue, and doesn't require a vast multitude of government programs.

(Of course, these reasons are why liberals will oppose it.)

Why would liberals not like the idea? They are generally the ones how are members of Greenpeace and drive fuel effecient cars. It is usually the right who drives the big cars...

Why would liberals not like the idea? They are generally the ones how are members of Greenpeace and drive fuel effecient cars. It is usually the right who drives the big cars...

Because.... it allows people absolute freedom of choice, won't cost a dime of additional revenue, and doesn't require a vast multitude of government programs.

The loonie left does not represent the left, just as the KKK don't represent the right...
Who said anything about the loonie left?

Never mind that those that are not on the loonie left will happily vote for those that are (see: 2008 Democratic Primary race).

But, lets see who supports my idea, who doesn't and why.

The term is used so inconsistently and incorrectly that it has ceased to have any real meaning at all. Except of course to us liberals who simply rely on the dictionary definition.
Welll...

There is the Modern American Liberal
And there is the Classical Americal Liberal

The two groups have virtually nothing in common.

So, what do you think of the CAFE tax penalty/incentive idea?

Welll...

There is the Modern American Liberal
And there is the Classical Americal Liberal

The two groups have virtually nothing in common.

So, what do you think of the CAFE tax penalty/incentive idea?

Seems like a reasonable idea to me. However, how much tax is collected at the pump in the US?? Here, it's about 80 cents in the dollar. So would you do away with that tax completely? And if so, what would the difference be between the amount collected as it currently stands and the amount collected your way...?

Seems like a reasonable idea to me. However, how much tax is collected at the pump in the US?? Here, it's about 80 cents in the dollar. So would you do away with that tax completely?
Why? They are seperate taxes for seperate purposes.
Taxes at the pump go to fund highway maintenance and improvements.

Here, about 25% of the cost of a gallon of gas goes to taxes, depending on the state.

If the government MUST be involved in getting people to reduce oil consumption...

-Leave CAFE where it is.
-Allow people to buy whatever car they want. Generous, I know. :eusa_whistle:
-For every 1 MPG under CAFE, the buyer pays 1% of the sticker in tax.
-For every 1 MPG over CAFE, the buyer receives 1% of the sticker in tax credit, to be paid out from revenue generated above

Example:
CAFE: 27.5MPG
Cadillac Escalade - $65,000, 17MPG
Tax: $6825
Honda Fit - $15500, 38MPG
Tax Credit: $1627.50

This allows people absolute freedom of choice, won't cost a dime of additional revenue, and doesn't require a vast multitude of government programs.

(Of course, these reasons are why liberals will oppose it.)

Interesting idea... I appreciate the critical thinking.

where would the collected tax go towards and the tax credit come from? Wouldn't this escalate a war over mileage standards?

I have an idea to toss back atcha if you are interested in hearing another one.

lets see a show of hands of people who's actual mileage is anything like the window stickers #s. too much room for trickey numbers IMO. what about a tax reduction for automakers whose cars show better than average mileage (CAFE). The better the mileage the lower the saddle taxes on the vehicle. Saddle taxes like fica, ss tax, unemployment tax, corporate tax.. etc... and the like. Incentivise the car market and put Americans back to work in Detroit. Hell why not no taxes on cars that get better than 40 mpg. Both for the producer and the consumer!! I'll buy a gas sipper if I can write it off on my income taxes. Remember when you could deduct your credit card interest and car loan. Grow the economy by giving americans more of their own money and they will spend it and create jobs . Taxes are like roundup on grass for the economy. the only thing they produce is another gov. program.

lets see a show of hands of people who's actual mileage is anything like the window stickers #s. too much room for trickey numbers IMO. what about a tax reduction for automakers whose cars show better than average mileage (CAFE). The better the mileage the lower the saddle taxes on the vehicle. Saddle taxes like fica, ss tax, unemployment tax, corporate tax.. etc... and the like. Incentivise the car market and put Americans back to work in Detroit. Hell why not no taxes on cars that get better than 40 mpg. Both for the producer and the consumer!! I'll buy a gas sipper if I can write it off on my income taxes. Remember when you could deduct your credit card interest and car loan. Grow the economy by giving americans more of their own money and they will spend it and create jobs . Taxes are like roundup on grass for the economy. the only thing they produce is another gov. program.

The beginning of the reasoning seems like a good idea........................there are draw backs however if it's to be levied across the board................especially when applied in business situations and the vehicles needed, as apposed to recreational driving and needs fine tuning..................:eusa_whistle:

There's been little incentive for use of more efficient autos or alternative energy because the oil companies helped formulate our energy policy.

Forum List

Back