A Real American Hero

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Retired Master Chief Hospital Corpsman William Charette, who received a Medal of Honor for throwing his body on top of a patient during a grenade attack during the Korean War, has died.

Charette enlisted in the Navy in 1951 and joined Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, which left for Korea in February 1953. It was March 27, 1953, during the Chinese attack on Marine outpost Vegas when Charette threw himself over his patient during a grenade attack, absorbing the blast with his own body, according to the Military Times Hall of Valor.
Medal of Honor recipient dies at 79 - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times

While not so current, but a few months back, I think it worth noting that in these times where you have men of low character, and people who seem to occupy the news who hold this nation in contempt and yet hold high those who have done little and have little honor and yet are looked upon as heros, I thought it important that some see what a real hero looked like, and to not there are many Americans like Chief Charette out there, young people who serve everyday, as well Americans here at home who work hard to support thier families with honor and dignity. So rest in peace Chief and thank you on behalf of my family and myself for your honorable service to this nation , you will not be forgotten.

Perhaps its time we as Americans begin to look upon Americans that deserve the title hero and and strive to not only honor them by teaching our young people American values of honor, dignity, and hard work, then maybe just maybe we will regain our stride and take pride once more in who we are.

Retired Master Chief Hospital Corpsman William Charette, who received a Medal of Honor for throwing his body on top of a patient during a grenade attack during the Korean War, has died.

Charette enlisted in the Navy in 1951 and joined Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, which left for Korea in February 1953. It was March 27, 1953, during the Chinese attack on Marine outpost Vegas when Charette threw himself over his patient during a grenade attack, absorbing the blast with his own body, according to the Military Times Hall of Valor.
Medal of Honor recipient dies at 79 - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times

While not so current, but a few months back, I think it worth noting that in these times where you have men of low character, and people who seem to occupy the news who hold this nation in contempt and yet hold high those who have done little and have little honor and yet are looked upon as heros, I thought it important that some see what a real hero looked like, and to not there are many Americans like Chief Charette out there, young people who serve everyday, as well Americans here at home who work hard to support thier families with honor and dignity. So rest in peace Chief and thank you on behalf of my family and myself for your honorable service to this nation , you will not be forgotten.

Perhaps its time we as Americans begin to look upon Americans that deserve the title hero and and strive to not only honor them by teaching our young people American values of honor, dignity, and hard work, then maybe just maybe we will regain our stride and take pride once more in who we are.

A person much smarter than I, said a long time ago, that you can tell the quality of a culture by the character of their hero's. They are oh so right.

Forum List

Back