A Radical Departure From Politics As Usual?

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
What about "a radical departure from politics as usual"? How about "...raising taxes to close our budgetary shortfalls, but doing so with a spirit of equity and social justice; guaranteeing that every American is covered by health insurance, but with market reforms to really bring down costs; legally expanding immigration to attract more job-creators to America’s shores; increasing corporate tax credits for research and lowering corporate taxes if companies will move more manufacturing jobs back onshore; investing more in our public schools, while insisting on rising national education standards and greater accountability for teachers, principals and parents; massively investing in clean energy, including nuclear, while allowing more offshore drilling in the transition? You get the idea?"

What about it?

note: I will add to this if the response is serious.

Last edited:
Never participated in one.

Now that we're past talking about me, how do you propose to suspend human nature and the laws of economics by any other means than aggression and compulsion?

I don't think your framing of the issue is rational or reasonable. But there is something I've left out:
Larry Diamond, a Stanford University democracy expert, put it best: “If you don’t get governance right, it is very hard to get anything else right that government needs to deal with. We have to rethink in some basic ways how our political institutions work, because they are increasingly incapable of delivering effective solutions any longer.”

My definition of broken is simple. It is a system in which Republicans will be voted out for doing the right thing (raising taxes when needed) and Democrats will be voted out for doing the right thing (cutting services when needed). When your political system punishes lawmakers for the doing the right things, it is broken. That is why we need political innovation that takes America’s disempowered radical center and enables it to act in proportion to its true size, unconstrained by the two parties, interest groups and orthodoxies that have tied our politics in knots.

Op-Ed Columnist - A Tea Party Without Nuts - NYTimes.com

Last edited:
Should've stopped at "I don't think".

The posting of an op-ed from the NY Times merely made everything after that phrase redundant.

A public display of a narrow world view does nothing for you, me, nor a discussion on the merits of an argument, whether that argument comes from the NYT, the WSJ, or anywhere else.

good bye

D.

What about completely suspending human nature and the laws of economics, so that everyone could have everything they want without having actually do anything to obtain it?

What about monkeys flying out my butt?

What About A Tea Party Without Nuts Like You?

well well, now go figure. how the Tea Party got brought up in this.:lol:

Should've stopped at "I don't think".

The posting of an op-ed from the NY Times merely made everything after that phrase redundant.

A public display of a narrow world view does nothing for you, me, nor a discussion on the merits of an argument, whether that argument comes from the NYT, the WSJ, or anywhere else.

good bye

D.
There are no merits to a hairy-fairy dreamboat argument, that begins with the premise that we can make water run uphill if only our nature, economic realities and politics were pure and holy.

As I've suspected for quite awhile now, you need to grow up.

What about completely suspending human nature and the laws of economics, so that everyone could have everything they want without having actually do anything to obtain it?

What about monkeys flying out my butt?

What About A Tea Party Without Nuts Like You?

well well, now go figure. how the Tea Party got brought up in this.:lol:

It is mentioned in the title to the article. :eusa_whistle:

What about "a radical departure from politics as usual"?

"Politics as usual" as defined by how and by whom?

How about "...raising taxes to close our budgetary shortfalls, but doing so with a spirit of equity and social justice;

So, controlling spending is off the table?..."A spirit of equity and social justice" as defined how and by whom?

that every American is covered by health insurance, but with market reforms to really bring down costs;
What if I don't want insurance?....What happens if your "market reforms" drive up costs?

...legally expanding immigration to attract more job-creators to America’s shores; increasing corporate tax credits for research and lowering corporate taxes if companies will move more manufacturing jobs back onshore; investing more in our public schools, while insisting on rising national education standards and greater accountability for teachers, principals and parents; massively investing in clean energy, including nuclear, while allowing more offshore drilling in the transition? You get the idea?"

And a chicken in every pot, a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow, and children who don't mouth off to their parents?

What if worms had machine guns?...Would robins ever screw with them again?

Like I said....Grow up.

What about "a radical departure from politics as usual"? How about "...raising taxes to close our budgetary shortfalls, but doing so with a spirit of equity and social justice; guaranteeing that every American is covered by health insurance, but with market reforms to really bring down costs; legally expanding immigration to attract more job-creators to America’s shores; increasing corporate tax credits for research and lowering corporate taxes if companies will move more manufacturing jobs back onshore; investing more in our public schools, while insisting on rising national education standards and greater accountability for teachers, principals and parents; massively investing in clean energy, including nuclear, while allowing more offshore drilling in the transition? You get the idea?"

What about it?

I think the problem with your question is you fail to define "politics as usual."

See as I see it, politics as usual is trying to raise taxes to close budgetory shortfalls. You seem to think it isnt. But it's what politicians always do. What they never do is cut spending to match appropriate funds. They could do that without burdening the people and killing jobs as they currently do it.

So since we clearly disagree on the fundamental premises and definitions here, i dont see how we can possibly have a condusive conversation on this topic. If you'd like to define "politics as usual" the way you see it, then perhaps I could make a better attempt. Till then its a bit of a waste.

What about it?

Most of those come in the form of government mandates that invalidate our own control over our own lives. The only thing I agree with you is changing the federal tax code to keep manufacturing onshore like removing the income tax in favor of a national sales tax. That would give domestic manufacturing a huge advantage and a reason to stay here.

End the wars, raise the retirement age, roll back spending, and raise income and capital gains taxes.

When we are well on our way to paying back the debt start lowering taxes again.

"Social Justice" is not a job of a government. Not just the US government but any government.

Such an avenue is meant to be done by us.

End the wars, raise the retirement age, roll back spending, and raise income and capital gains taxes.

well hell yeah, raise taxes. like that will take the burden off the American people to pay down the Gubermanets dept that got us into this mess to begin with.

well hell yeah, raise taxes. like that will take the burden off the American people to pay down the Gubermanets dept that got us into this mess to begin with.

We are the government. That debt is our debt.

I find it funny that you ignore everything but that one part of my post. You even ignore where I said the taxes should be cut back once we have things under control.

You, Steph, are part of the problem.

Forum List

Back