A quick reminder for progressives

buckeye45_73

Lakhota's my *****
Jun 4, 2011
upload_2016-8-7_23-15-4.png

"Progressives" you want? Here they come now...

ae18824e2a829bbe42813150a9ad9121.jpg
l000004.jpg
stephanie-courtney-320.jpg

Progressives are left wing. TR was a republican, conservative on some issues, very progressive on others.

Theodore Roosevelt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now this is my favorite part...
Roosevelt, moving to the left of his Republican Party base

I love stuff like this for the party switcher dumbfucks.....republicans have been conservative since Lincoln.....TR was much more left than the republican part, even in 1904.......so fuck off Starkey.....

I do think some of the things he did was good, like breaking monopolies, setting up national parks, stuff like that, but now our government is out of control and waaaaaaaaaaay too big.

l000004.jpg

Progressives are left wing. TR was a republican, conservative on some issues, very progressive on others.

I love stuff like this for the party switcher dumbfucks.....republicans have been conservative since Lincoln.....TR was much more left than the republican part, even in 1904.......so fuck off Starkey.....

I do think some of the things he did was good, like breaking monopolies, setting up national parks, stuff like that, but now our government is out of control and waaaaaaaaaaay too big.

"Starkey"?? I don't even have a set of drums :wtf:

You're half-right. TR was more to the left than where the RP went around that time, and his Presidency was probably most inconvient to the McKinley-Taft wing that was trying to swing it at the time away from its Liberalism where it started and into the arms of corporations and the wealthy. That's why it snubbed him at the 1912 convention even though he came in with most of the primary victories. But Lincoln and his Republican contemporaries were no conservatives. They hardly could be, being (originally) the party of Abolition. The conservatives would have been the Democrats in that time --- before they absorbed the Populists at the same time the RP was taking on the rich.

But we did all this last week. I see you weren't paying attention.

The "Progressives" spanned both parties but pretty much ended with Fighting Bob (middle picture) and FDR, who basically merged the Populists and the Progressives. We did that too. I'm afraid the only "Progressive" left is Flo.

l000004.jpg

"Starkey"?? I don't even have a set of drums :wtf:

You're half-right. TR was more to the left than where the RP went around that time, and his Presidency was probably most inconvient to the McKinley-Taft wing that was trying to swing it at the time away from its Liberalism where it started and into the arms of corporations and the wealthy. That's why it snubbed him at the 1912 convention even though he came in with most of the primary victories. But Lincoln and his Republican contemporaries were no conservatives. They hardly could be, being (originally) the party of Abolition. The conservatives would have been the Democrats in that time --- before they absorbed the Populists at the same time the RP was taking on the rich.

But we did all this last week. I see you weren't paying attention.

The "Progressives" spanned both parties but pretty much ended with Fighting Bob (middle picture) and FDR, who basically merged the Populists and the Progressives. We did that too. I'm afraid the only "Progressive" left is Flo.

Lincoln was a moderate, the republicans were conservative, moderate, and radical(left) at the time of Lincoln. So they have always been in the party. The party was a disparate group of Whigs, Free Soilers, and Democrats that were anti-slavery, that was the issue that united it. Lincoln didn't want to abolish it though, just stop it from growing, so it would die off eventually. Well the Confederates knew that and they started the Civil War. Then Lincoln hammered them with the Emancipation Proclamation.

History of the United States Republican Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They vigorously argued that free market labor was superior to slavery and the very foundation of civic virtue and true republicanism—this was the "Free Soil, Free Labor, Free Men" ideology.[2]

They were correct, and they are the free market party to this day. The thing is the republican party has always stayed pretty consistent, it's the democrats with crazy ass swings, but always were stronger with the idea of "progressivism". They look down at people who don't share their idea of progress....For example, Andrew Jackson stated that the Indians have to go because they wont assimilate and use the land properly, so they drove them from the land.

So much stuff in history, I just wish people would tell the truth, so frustrating.

They vigorously argued that free market labor was superior to slavery and the very foundation of civic virtue and true republicanism—this was the "Free Soil, Free Labor, Free Men" ideology.[2]

--- and that's Liberalism. Which I already noted, is what the Republicans were at the time, before they gravitated to the upper classes and the corporate set.

Those Progressives I pictured are all Republicans, except for the one who sells insurance.

A political party is never a fixed ideology. It changes with the times. The purpose of a political party is to consolidate resources to acquire power. That's it. Not to represent Position A or Position B forever. BOTH of the parties have shifted with the winds over the years. To pretend that a "Democrat" or a "Republican" of today is equivalent ideologically to one of the same party 150 years ago is absurd and unworkable.

History is a rich treasure trove though, I agree with that.

--- and that's Liberalism. Which I already noted, is what the Republicans were at the time, before they gravitated to the upper classes and the corporate set.

Those Progressives I pictured are all Republicans, except for the one who sells insurance.

A political party is never a fixed ideology. It changes with the times. The purpose of a political party is to consolidate resources to acquire power. That's it. Not to represent Position A or Position B forever. BOTH of the parties have shifted with the winds over the years. To pretend that a "Democrat" or a "Republican" of today is equivalent ideologically to one of the same party 150 years ago is absurd and unworkable.

And you can tell Republicans of today are thoroughly embarrassed by their party because they have to reach back 60-150 years for a positive example of being a conservative. GW Bush, Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin, Trump. Nobody wants to be known as associates of these losers.

Well the issues are different but philosophy is the same. Conservatives are classical liberals like the founders, Burke, Locke, ect. Modern Progressives are followers of the French Revolution and like Marx, Kant, and Rousseau ( I fucking HATE Rousseau).....
Sure not everything is transferrable, but the general idea is there. Republicans have never been for or even close to slavery and have always fought for civil rights. Which is why we never liked affirmative action, it's still racism and pretty overt. We've always been pro business, pro civil rights, and not too crazy with the progressivism (TR and Lafollete are two of our few progressives), you could also throw in WEB Dubois, but I think most republicans liked the Booker T Washington approach and not the militant DuBois/Marcus Garvey approach. In fact I think Booker T was the first black presidential candidate.

And you can tell Republicans of today are thoroughly embarrassed by their party because they have to reach back 60-150 years for a positive example of being a conservative. GW Bush, Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin, Trump. Nobody wants to be known as associates of these losers.

Fuck off troll, lots of positive answers to being conservative. Thomas Sowell for example, W and Palin are fine with me. Romeny and Trump are not ideological conservatives

Conservatives are classical liberals like the founders

Revisionist history to try to latch onto the national ideological deities. :eusa_hand:
The fact is, the Founders were..... Liberals. Not "classical liberals" -- just Liberals. "Classical liberal" is a bullshit term made up to enable its users to drive oxymoronic opposite meanings into the same term. Liberal is Liberal, period. We did this last week too, right down to the Red Scare daze when Republicans (not conservatives but Republicans) started to corrupt the word liberal in an attempt to smear Democrats (not Liberals - Democrats). George H.W. Bush did the same thing as part of his campaign in 1988. Was bullshit then, still bullshit now

Modern Progressives are followers of the French Revolution and like Marx, Kant, and Rousseau ( I fucking HATE Rousseau)....

Seeing as how modern "Progressives" have no definition since there is no such entity, I guess you could say they're followers of Sponge Bob if you like.

Republicans have never been for or even close to slavery and have always fought for civil rights. Which is why we never liked affirmative action, it's still racism and pretty overt.

It's a stretch to fit the "racism" label on it but I've never been a fan of it myself. But actually for what it's worth Republicans began Affirmative Action. Whether you count that from Richard Nixon's Philadelphia Plan of 1969 or the "forty acres and a mule" land grants of a century earlier. Part of the latter is the Whig legacy, which had been the party of doing big things with big government, which was a major population influx for the nascent Republican Party at the time.

As I like to put it -- to declare "all men are created equal" is pure Liberalism. To then go out and try to make it happen artificially through law, is leftism.

332-206
Easy victory for us, tough loss for the GOP

You keep bitching for stuff, keep electing democrats and stuff doesn't get better.....It's called insanity.

We’re no longer spilling blood by the gallon in Iraq and Afghanistan
The Stock market is up, unemployment is down.
Gays can marry and insurance companies can’t refuse to offer you a policy
GM is alive and Osama is dead.

Thank you Mr. President and Democrats everywhere.

And Oh yeah, gas is around $2 a gallon.

The only thing that isn’t getting better are your gloom and doom stories about how the we’re about to fall off the map and the world is about to end.

Forum List

Back