A Question to Liberals - Does open minded = one sided?

VeganMe

Newly vegan
Jul 28, 2012
Hi :)

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I'm new to the site. Am just getting the hang of it and so far it's pretty fun. About my politics: I am a registered Independent and am pretty "middle ground" on issues. Meaning I'm not liberal OR conservative. You can kind of mix and match with me. I think, with that being said, I have a pretty objective POV, if you want to call it that.

Now for the question: This is directed at those who side more with the political left. I apologize in advance if I accidentally offend anyone in any way (please remember that was never my intention). Just feel like I need to say that because political talk always seems to offend one person or the other. Just know that I'm not (intentionally) trying to annoy anyone. :p

So, lefties...When you ask conservative types to be more "open minded" about things in general, are you asking them to conform to your views? (Left views?) Or something else? What I'm asking you is...do you find the term "open minded" a one-sided deal? Say a righty asks you to be more "open minded" based on their conservative views. To you, does the term "open minded" still apply?

Example: Liberal person supports gay marriage. Conservative person does not. Liberal person thinks conservative is a "close-minded bigot." Now switch the circumstances. Conservative person supports pro-life. Liberal person supports pro-choice. Conservative thinks Liberal is a "close-minded hypocrite."

Do you see what I'm saying? As a liberal-minded, free-thinking person...does the term "open minded" apply to ONLY liberal views in your eyes? Or can it also apply to conservative views in a situation? Why or why not? Again, I am only (genuinely and politely) curious. :)

148159394_540x364.jpg

just depends on how it's wrapped ...

Liberal Dictionary:
========================================
Open Minded - liberal

it's really that simple.

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I'm new to the site. Am just getting the hang of it and so far it's pretty fun. About my politics: I am a registered Independent and am pretty "middle ground" on issues. Meaning I'm not liberal OR conservative. You can kind of mix and match with me. I think, with that being said, I have a pretty objective POV, if you want to call it that.

Now for the question: This is directed at those who side more with the political left. I apologize in advance if I accidentally offend anyone in any way (please remember that was never my intention). Just feel like I need to say that because political talk always seems to offend one person or the other. Just know that I'm not (intentionally) trying to annoy anyone. :p

So, lefties...When you ask conservative types to be more "open minded" about things in general, are you asking them to conform to your views? (Left views?) Or something else? What I'm asking you is...do you find the term "open minded" a one-sided deal? Say a righty asks you to be more "open minded" based on their conservative views. To you, does the term "open minded" still apply?

Example: Liberal person supports gay marriage. Conservative person does not. Liberal person thinks conservative is a "close-minded bigot." Now switch the circumstances. Conservative person supports pro-life. Liberal person supports pro-choice. Conservative thinks Liberal is a "close-minded hypocrite."

Do you see what I'm saying? As a liberal-minded, free-thinking person...does the term "open minded" apply to ONLY liberal views in your eyes? Or can it also apply to conservative views in a situation? Why or why not? Again, I am only (genuinely and politely) curious. :)

'Liberal minded' is independence, liberty, freedom and the providence of the Republicans and Libertarians.

You really are really addressing the Progressives, who are just modern day communists. And they couldn't be more close minded or totalitarian.

What Liberals do is intellectually dishonest, but "dishonest" fits better these day

'Liberal minded' is independence, liberty, freedom and the providence of the Republicans and Libertarians.

You really are really addressing the Progressives, who are just modern day communists. And they couldn't be more close minded or totalitarian.

You are a complete moron. Today's republicans are leading the charge to destroy liberty and turn the nation into a hard right fascist oligarch.

Last edited:
Liberals are the most tolerant and open mind people on the planet.

But, that's only if you agree with them.

Disagree with them; and they become the most hateful and bigoted people you will ever meet. :cool:

^This has also been my experience with some people. It's kind of what got me asking this question. I wanted to know what those here thought about it, and could share in their own words.

I see the quality of open-mindedness as being able to see the other side of an argument and discussing it in those terms, not as giving both sides of an argument equal weight. For example, I can discuss anything with anyone as long as they do not resort to dogmatic statements such as "the bible says no" or claim moral or intellectual superiority on the basis of unquestioning acceptance of someone else's philosophy or belief system. If someone cannot explain their beliefs in rational terms or tolerate another questioning those beliefs rationally then they may rightly be called closed minded.

I see the quality of open-mindedness as being able to see the other side of an argument and discussing it in those terms, not as giving both sides of an argument equal weight. For example, I can discuss anything with anyone as long as they do not resort to dogmatic statements such as "the bible says no" or claim moral or intellectual superiority on the basis of unquestioning acceptance of someone else's philosophy or belief system. If someone cannot explain their beliefs in rational terms or tolerate another questioning those beliefs rationally then they may rightly be called closed minded.
Translation: Liberals are right about everything; and anyone who disagrees with us is a closed minded bigot. :cool:

Translation: Liberals are right about everything; and anyone who disagrees with us is a closed minded bigot. :cool:

Care to discuss your "translation" without silly partisan labels and blanket statements?

That's a fair statement. But, to me, saying "I can discuss anything as long as nobody makes statements like "the Bible says so" sounds like (conversation-based) religious discrimination.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But isn't it a bit unfair to look down on the religious beliefs of others?

When you ask conservative types to be more "open minded" about things in general, are you asking them to conform to your views?

Your entire premise is flawed, I would never ask a conservative to be more "open minded".

The difference between the left and the right is quite simple, however. (I forget who it is I'm paraphrasing here) - lefties want to know what its like to walk in someone else's shoes - righties want everyone to walk in their shoes and are dumbfounded than not everyone does.

Last edited:

Translation: It would be great if being a real conservative made a comeback, instead of the fox news/beck ultra right wing mockery the GOP has become.

hey, welcome to the board! Don't be surprised if you are called a Communist at some point if you do have some issues you side with the left on.

Let me address your point(and it is a good one) by using the gay marriage issue that you brought up.

IMO, gays work...pay taxes...have and still do serve in the military protecting our country, and generally contribute to society in the same manner that any other citizen does.... correct?

Why should they be denied the right of having the same legally binding relationship that a heterosexual does? I am ALL for Civil Unions. As a Christian, I have issues with religious ceremonies...However, I have come to the conclusion that since the Constitution forbids any kind of National Religion that we all have to kneel down to.....It should be left up to the individual Churches(or their charters) to decide whether they will recognize the union and perform the ceremony.

To me, that's a logical and reasonable compromise.

Translation: It would be great if being a real conservative made a comeback, instead of the fox news/beck ultra right wing mockery the GOP has become.

I tend to agree. Real conservatives ran Congress under Clinton and the nation did great.

Reagan was a "real conservative" and he had a Democratic Congress - during his 2nd term at least - nation did great.

When sane conservatives control one branch and Democrats the other - the nation does well. Fact.

hey, welcome to the board! Don't be surprised if you are called a Communist at some point if you do have some issues you side with the left on.

Let me address your point(and it is a good one) by using the gay marriage issue that you brought up.

IMO, gays work...pay taxes...have and still do serve in the military protecting our country, and generally contribute to society in the same manner that any other citizen does.... correct?

Why should they be denied the right of having the same legally binding relationship that a heterosexual does? I am ALL for Civil Unions. As a Christian, I have issues with religious ceremonies...However, I have come to the conclusion that since the Constitution forbids any kind of National Religion that we all have to kneel down to.....It should be left up to the individual Churches(or their charters) to decide whether they will recognize the union and perform the ceremony.

To me, that's a logical and reasonable compromise.

I understand your POV. But the world is a big place filled with many viewpoints. If someone disagrees with your POV, that does not make them "close-minded" at least IMO. I think everyone has a right to their beliefs, regardless whether or not other people agree with them.

Agree or disagree?

That's a fair statement. But, to me, saying "I can discuss anything as long as nobody makes statements like "the Bible says so" sounds like (conversation-based) religious discrimination.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But isn't it a bit unfair to look down on the religious beliefs of others?

Not when it is used as an answer to a fair question, I have no problem with religion but such answers are nothing more than slamming the door on uncomfortable concepts and questions. If someone has never questioned their belief system any further than to think anyone would be satisfied with such cop-outs as that then are they not close-minded? It does not even have to be religious based, check out some of the statements made concerning taxes or the economy for a good example of thoughtless free market dogma that plagues any discussion on the subject.

Very true, I hope they keep calling themselves progressive, because I dont like the fact they try and confuse people with classical liberalism

Forum List

Back