A Question on why we should be wary of my daughter's doll?

If he did want to play with dolls, how would you punish him?

Would you beat him?

No, I would try to get him to play with something else.
The wife and I don't believe in hitting our children. I think the time-out policy works much better!

I think that's what's wrong with kids today, they're parents didn't spank their ass when needed. Tell me were you spanked as a child?

Yeah, some kids could do with a good spanking. Some kids, though, are abused. Sometimes that abuse affects their cognitive abilities. Seems like you must've been beat up-side the head pretty good when you were a kid, Brownstar_log.

The wife and I don't believe in hitting our children. I think the time-out policy works much better!

I think that's what's wrong with kids today, they're parents didn't spank their ass when needed. Tell me were you spanked as a child?

Yeah, some kids could do with a good spanking. Some kids, though, are abused. Sometimes that abuse affects their cognitive abilities. Seems like you must've been beat up-side the head pretty good when you were a kid, Brownstar_log.

I was a crazy and unruly kid! I hung around with only boarish fellow football player types. I drank too much (still do), smoked way too much weed, tried every drug under the sun (luckly never got hooked to anything but pot), got into my share of fights, put way too little time in learning and more time in killing brain-cells, thought I was way to cool because I played varsity football, I only dated loose girls, knocked up one and had an abortion! I crashed 2 cars!

I eventually changed my ways a little bit in college from not smoking pot as much (but I drank a heck of a lot more) and focuses on getting good grades as much as I focused on having a good time! I don't know what clicked, but I hardly think my mothers beatings (her favorite were belts, wooden spatulas and her shoes) worked at all. It was a temporary measure that created worse long-term results.

I think I also have fears of hitting my children, because I have a history of being hit myself and I think (at least with my mother) it escalates from a smack across to the face to wooden spatula to the head. I don't want to test the waters to see if I don't fall into the same pattern my mother fell into!

However, I personally believe that time-outs and explanations are working very well with my kids!

If he did want to play with dolls, how would you punish him?

Would you beat him?

I was beaten as a child and I don't think it works!

Damn dude, your mom didn't spank you, you were physically abused.

There is a difference between a spanking and being hit in the head with a spatula or shoe.

You are correct on time outs working, and as they get older taking away their favorite technology gadget, or all (such as computer, cell phone, video game, etc) works wonders!

There is a vast difference between appropriate discipline and outright abuse - as you've clearly stated.

And what works for one child won't necessarily work for others - even kids in the same family. Find what your child's "currency" is and life will be much simpler.

Damn dude, your mom didn't spank you, you were physically abused.

There is a difference between a spanking and being hit in the head with a spatula or shoe.
One escalated to the other! Like I said a slap to the face escalated into a spatula to the back of the head!

You are correct on time outs working, and as they get older taking away their favorite technology gadget, or all (such as computer, cell phone, video game, etc) works wonders!
Amen to that, even at 3 my son has some pretty cool gadgets!

That is your perspective I have mine! My kids listen pretty well and are considerate of others. Truth time-out get upset them more than enough to prevent further bad behavior!

I come from a different philosophy, because my mother used to beat me with whatever she could get her hands on!

Your mother beat you? Well you seemed to have turned out ok. Do you think you would have turned out better without your mother loving you enough to keep your ass in line? She may have went overboard with her discipline, but parents are not perfect. I'm willing to bet when your kids get to be teenagers they'll be the ones running the house.

Is that the best insult you got??? Hahahahahahaha you fail!!!!!!

Again,it appears you turned out ok. But I asked if you were spanked, not sure if beatings equals spankings.

I spanked my children up until they were around 8 or nine, after that I disciplined them by stripping them of certain freedoms like not being allowed to go out and play or not allowing them to watch their favorite cartoons and once they got to the teenage years I would take items away, computer, tv, stereo, whatever it was they valued.

All my children were honor society members, all earned four year scholarships, all graduated magna cum laude, my oldest two are out of college and have high paying professional jobs, the third is just entering college this fall. None of my children has ever been on drugs or been in jail.

As for me, I was disciplined with a heavy hand until I was 15 and then I decided I'd had enough and left home. 2 years later I was arrested for assault w/intent and was sentenced to five years in the Texas Department of Corrections. Served two years 8 months before I was paroled. In 1985 I was granted my request for a full pardon and the rest, as they say, is history.

Here is the scenario, my wife and I took my daughter to the store and she feel in love with a doll, so we decided to buy it for her with thinking about it. The doll was of a black child.

My wife had a black friend over and she stated this, "I don't care about, but to be careful in public with that, because many black people will take offense to it! She stated again she didn't care, but some black people think it will be offensive for a little white girl playing with a black doll?"

Now I ask, why they hell should it matter! Do whites gets made when a little black girl plays with a barbie? I mean its ridiculous. Charles Bass, please explain it to me from the racist black perspective!

What the hell difference does it make what color the doll is? If someone has a problem with your (white) daughter playing with a (black) doll . . . . it's their problem. I guess I just don't get this whole black/white/racism thing.

Here is the scenario, my wife and I took my daughter to the store and she feel in love with a doll, so we decided to buy it for her with thinking about it. The doll was of a black child.

My wife had a black friend over and she stated this, "I don't care about, but to be careful in public with that, because many black people will take offense to it! She stated again she didn't care, but some black people think it will be offensive for a little white girl playing with a black doll?"

Now I ask, why they hell should it matter! Do whites gets made when a little black girl plays with a barbie? I mean its ridiculous. Charles Bass, please explain it to me from the racist black perspective!

What the hell difference does it make what color the doll is? If someone has a problem with your (white) daughter playing with a (black) doll . . . . it's their problem. I guess I just don't get this whole black/white/racism thing.

I agree its their problem and I am not going to change it, but whey should someone have a problem with it?

I agree its their problem and I am not going to change it, but whey should someone have a problem with it?

Beats me. Like I said, I just don't get the whole black/white/racism thing.

Forum List

Back