A Question on Gas Prices

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
Before the bottom fell out of the economy, prices were between 4 to 5 dollars a gallon. Now in Florida it is as low as 1.80 a gallon. I remember the pundits on TV saying we would never see prices drop again.

Is this supply and demand, were we being manipulated by gas speculaters or is this the free market in action? I really don't see a lot less driving here.

I am taking up a collection for all the poor Saudis who may not be able to get a fourth Mercedes now.:lol:

no, it's supply and demand

People are driving a lot less in South Florida, you apparently aren't driving around.

Takes me 20 min to get to downtown Miami to my office when it used to take 40

Also, tri-rail use is still at record numbers even with the lower gas prices.

Tri-Rail rides high even with drop in gas prices -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

When gas prices jumped to $4 a gallon this summer, commuters flocked to Tri-Rail in record numbers.

As prices have fallen well below $3 in the past month, the latest ridership numbers show that trend may be here to stay.

Tri-Rail's weekday ridership surged 23.5 percent in October compared to the same month last year. An average 15,822 passengers boarded the trains Monday through Friday in October, up from12,804 a year ago.

In September, the average weekday ridership was 16,296.

The thing you need to understand is that consumption didn't need to drop that much to bring a significant drop in prices. When prices were over $4 per gallon, oil production was pretty much maxed out and refining capacity was also close to capacity. With just a five to ten percent drop in consumption, the bottom fell out, and created a glut of oil on the world market.

Many people believe that consumption would have had to drop by half in order for prices to drop so much. That is where many get confused or begin to believe that manipulation was involved.

Don't use facts when talking with gayboymsnbc. Just stick with emotions, like how bad traffic still feels, and stuff like that.

I ask an honest question and good old Glockfuck, reverts to his real nature once more. Once an asshole, always and asshole. You must be a really joyful rolemodel for your kids.

I drive in Fort Lauderdale at 6:30 AM and 3:30 PM and really haven't noticed the traffic that much less than before. I know that's what the papers are saying that with the layoffs there are less of US driving to work and thus lowering the demand. So how do we keep this demand low and be able to tell the oilies to shove it in the future?

I don't drive any less. I don't know anyone else that is. We still have our lives to live. My kids still have to get to school. I still have to do the grocery shopping.

I'm driving less,, I got used to it at 5 bucks a gallon and I'm going with that cause I have no doubts whatsoever that gas will zoom right back up again.. Pelosi likes it that way...

Gas prices, energy speculation were a bubble. Like all bubbles they are driven by the mind that sees growth and more growth and still more. But like all bubbles they end, the future, particularly the economy part of the future, is no longer filled with rainbows going up and up. Why is this stuff so hard to understand, and why does it happen from tulips to silver to land to energy, mankind's insatiable greed knows no boundaries.

Wow, Glocky, you are full of it again.

My liberal ways as defined by you? You have always been a snide little homophobic fart in your remarks, GayGlocky.:eusa_whistle:

I didn't insult your family, I insulted you.:cuckoo:

Wow, Glocky, you are full of it again.

My liberal ways as defined by you? You have always been a snide little homophobic fart in your remarks, GayGlocky.:eusa_whistle:

I didn't insult your family, I insulted you.:cuckoo:
You mentioned my kids in an insulting manner. You are now my sworn enemy and I shall fight you to the death. Or you can man-up and apologize. :lol:

Forum List

Back