A question I'm kicking around in my head

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Is there a point to following the good things of a religion while not identifying as the religion, go to services, or professing a belief in a god?

Aren't some things religions teach good absent the supernatural stuff and rituals? And if you choose to follow the good things, ignore the bad things, and refrain from the ritual and supernatural stuff, aren't you still some part of that "religion?"

Don't most pick and choose anyway while not being considered not part of a religion?

Oh, and I thought you were going to say, "Where is that loud rattling noise coming from?"

Is there a point to following the good things of a religion while not identifying as the religion, go to services, or professing a belief in a god?

Aren't some things religions teach good absent the supernatural stuff and rituals? And if you choose to follow the good things, ignore the bad things, and refrain from the ritual and supernatural stuff, aren't you still some part of that "religion?"

Don't most pick and choose anyway while not being considered not part of a religion?

For some of us, it is not one or the other--it's both. The impression your post gives is that people can be good without religion/church. I have no quarrel with that thought. If you don't believe in God, don't go to church, just go be good.

That does not work for those of us who have either one of two things: An experience with God, or a belief in God. We don't go to Church to be good. We go to Church to withdraw from the worldly for a time to draw closer to God. Worshiping God individually is right and good. But there is a lot of strength, not to mention fellowship, when God's family worships together.

For some of us, it is not one or the other--it's both. The impression your post gives is that people can be good without religion/church. I have no quarrel with that thought. If you don't believe in God, don't go to church, just go be good.

That does not work for those of us who have either one of two things: An experience with God, or a belief in God. We don't go to Church to be good. We go to Church to withdraw from the worldly for a time to draw closer to God. Worshiping God individually is right and good. But there is a lot of strength, not to mention fellowship, when God's family worships together.

Isn't church-going (being surrounded by those who agree with you) really just a support group, or delusion-reinforcement though? If you truly believe something like god exists, and has rules for you to follow, can't you follow those absent the support group? Do you need that structure and reinforcement to covince yourself you're right?

When I believe in things I don't care if I'm the only one. I don't care if I'm the only one who belives in it. My beliefs do not require consensus.

Isn't church-going (being surrounded by those who agree with you) really just a support group, or delusion-reinforcement though? If you truly believe something like god exists, and has rules for you to follow, can't you follow those absent the support group? Do you need that structure and reinforcement to covince yourself you're right?

When I believe in things I don't care if I'm the only one. I don't care if I'm the only one who belives in it. My beliefs do not require consensus.

I really think that is a good question. And for another thought, for those that are going to church, are they, in turn, making judgments on those who do not attend? God loves all that love him. Not those that just attend church once a week.

I am a Christian but do not attend Church regularly. When I do go, it is to listen to the sermon and leave. I read the Bible and pray. I am just as much a Christian as those who go to church regularly.

I wouldn't use the word "follow". Instead, perhaps, the word "embrace".

I tend to embrace and absorb many things from many religions without becoming some devout follower of them. Wisdom, lessons, even culture at times. There is great truth and Power to be found in every religion. They are all beautiful in one way or another ^_^

Church, plays, sports, parties, clubs, classes, families are all groups. Are all these "support groups" or do all of them have a narrower focus where support of one another is only by-product? When you go to a sporting event, do you go because there are going to be people there who support you? Or is your focus cheering on your own team? Do members of service clubs meet because they need support, or is their focus on serving the community in some way? Likewise, Church focus is on God not personal support.

The next problem is the idea that everyone in church agrees with one another. Does everyone at a sporting event, do club members, classmates, and families agree with one another? I can assure you that you will probably find even greater differences in a church congregation.

Exactly. Therefore you should understand why a person would show up at Church--even if no one else does.

I really think that is a good question. And for another thought, for those that are going to church, are they, in turn, making judgments on those who do not attend? God loves all that love him. Not those that just attend church once a week.

I am a Christian but do not attend Church regularly. When I do go, it is to listen to the sermon and leave. I read the Bible and pray. I am just as much a Christian as those who go to church regularly.

I don't know about the church you attend, but mine doesn't take attendance. Second, not everything is about you. I doubt anyone gives you a second thought. Think about it. There are many who do less than you. Do you judge them, think of them? If not, then why the fear that those you perceive as doing more are judging you, thinking harsh thoughts about you?

We're all in the same boat. There are a humongous number of people doing more than we do. There is an equally humongous number doing less. We all do what we can, what we feel we are called to do.

I don't know about the church you attend, but mine doesn't take attendance. Second, not everything is about you. I doubt anyone gives you a second thought. Think about it. There are many who do less than you. Do you judge them, think of them? If not, then why the fear that those you perceive as doing more are judging you, thinking harsh thoughts about you?

We're all in the same boat. There are a humongous number of people doing more than we do. There is an equally humongous number doing less. We all do what we can, what we feel we are called to do.

I can only go from personal experience. When I was a child my best friend kept telling me I was going to hell because my family did not attend services. When my son was in a Lutheran school, attendance to church was taken and I received a visit from the church spouting the same trash. Moving forward to modern day, my religious in laws thought it was only right that they had their church make an impromptu visit to tell me that Jesus said he did not hear my prayers because it had to be heard with at least two people in the room!

All of those experiences solidified my feelings of the church. God does not profess fear, he professes his love.

I can only go from personal experience. When I was a child my best friend kept telling me I was going to hell because my family did not attend services. When my son was in a Lutheran school, attendance to church was taken and I received a visit from the church spouting the same trash. Moving forward to modern day, my religious in laws thought it was only right that they had their church make an impromptu visit to tell me that Jesus said he did not hear my prayers because it had to be heard with at least two people in the room!

All of those experiences solidified my feelings of the church. God does not profess fear, he professes his love.

I feel badly you had those experiences. Two things immediately came to mind. Scripture tells us Jesus often went off by himself to pray. He also recommended prayer time in a closet. Would your inlaws argue that Jesus' prayers were not heard?

Second, the hell of it is, the Great Commission is to spread the Good News. How can we get that so wrong?

You have the right of it. God professes His love. Maybe this needs to be professed/proclaimed to those around you? It can never be said enough. Just a thought: Don't take what some people say out on the entire Church.

I feel badly you had those experiences. Two things immediately came to mind. Scripture tells us Jesus often went off by himself to pray. He also recommended prayer time in a closet. Would your inlaws argue that Jesus' prayers were not heard?

Second, the hell of it is, the Great Commission is to spread the Good News. How can we get that so wrong?

You have the right of it. God professes His love. Maybe this needs to be professed/proclaimed to those around you? It can never be said enough. Just a thought: Don't take what some people say out on the entire Church.

Thank you for such a nice post. I do talk about God and Jesus often to my grandchildren and what He would want. We talk about making judgment of others and morals. It's nice to have talks with them. It's innocence and molding of values in the way God would be proud of. Thank you again.

Look into Universalist Unitarianism.

Church is for worship and fellowship. I agree.

Thank you for such a nice post. I do talk about God and Jesus often to my grandchildren and what He would want. We talk about making judgment of others and morals. It's nice to have talks with them. It's innocence and molding of values in the way God would be proud of. Thank you again.

It is heartwarming to picture you with your grandchildren. "Let the little children come to me." You are the embodiment of that. May God continue to bless you.

There's a lot of good stuff in the Bible about how to live one's life, especially in Proverbs and the teachings of Jesus. That doesn't mean I have to subscribe to the idea that there's a god, Jehovah, Jesus, Noah, the Garden of Eden, Samson, or any of the rest of the stories. I suspect there is even good to be found in the Koran, any every other religious text.

There's a lot of good stuff in the Bible about how to live one's life, especially in Proverbs and the teachings of Jesus. That doesn't mean I have to subscribe to the idea that there's a god, Jehovah, Jesus, Noah, the Garden of Eden, Samson, or any of the rest of the stories. I suspect there is even good to be found in the Koran, any every other religious text.

Fairy tales and Aesop's fables were my primary motivators in learning about how to live a good life. Bible stories fascinated me for a whole other reason. These were stories of people who had contact with God, a relationship with God.

Fairy tales and fables fascinated me with the potentials open to those who were good. The Bible fascinated me because it opened up the possibility of contact with God. There is a difference between pursuing goodness and pursuing God. The destinations are not always the same.

Forum List

Back