A question I have to ask...

Do many, perhaps most, members who create threads in the Politics, CDZ and Current Events subforums yearn to be news reporters?

I have to ask because so often OP content and titles contains little more than a lifted headline and perhaps the OP-er's thinly presented opinion on the "headline." Often enough, the "headline" and OP says nothing that can't be obtained from consuming the content of any news outlet. Thus, I've often found myself wondering whether folks genuinely see USMB as a "practice pen" for budding cub reporters?
Do many, perhaps most, members who create threads in the Politics, CDZ and Current Events subforums yearn to be news reporters?

I have to ask because so often OP content and titles contains little more than a lifted headline and perhaps the OP-er's thinly presented opinion on the "headline." Often enough, the "headline" and OP says nothing that can't be obtained from consuming the content of any news outlet. Thus, I've often found myself wondering whether folks genuinely see USMB as a "practice pen" for budding cub reporters?

What kind of question is that? What are we going to talk about? Jesus most people today cherry pick their news.
He just wants to talk about how glorious his feelings and opinions are. Do not bring in outside content, or information.
This is not good damn school , people are sharing ideas not writing a fucking thesis
"(1) Content, (2) Organization, and (3) Grammar/Syntax" are as applicable to sentences and paragraphs as they are to theses, papers, books and dissertations.

It's a message board and only simple minds like you who can't debate care.

Though you above have agreed with Koshergirl, you haven't taken the time to read the linked content I provided in the example I offered. That is not the only instance in which I've drawn outside content to support my position. Here are some others:
This is called overwhelming volume.

I would say you need to target this more.

Overwhelming volume may be right on but it bears the same burden as an out of control rant unfortunately.
Do not bring in outside content, or information.

How's this, along with the seven examples above and the one from earlier in the thread, for "bringing in outside content" to support my assertion.

Would four instances that roundly refute someone's claim be overwhelming or not overwhelming? I just want to make sure I'm clear on just what constitutes "overwhelming" in you mind. Everyone's got their "bar;" I just want to make sure I know where yours rests.
Yah 4 is still a lot.

2 at most.

What kind of question is that? What are we going to talk about? Jesus most people today cherry pick their news.
He just wants to talk about how glorious his feelings and opinions are. Do not bring in outside content, or information.
"(1) Content, (2) Organization, and (3) Grammar/Syntax" are as applicable to sentences and paragraphs as they are to theses, papers, books and dissertations.

It's a message board and only simple minds like you who can't debate care.

Though you above have agreed with Koshergirl, you haven't taken the time to read the linked content I provided in the example I offered. That is not the only instance in which I've drawn outside content to support my position. Here are some others:

Overwhelming volume may be right on but it bears the same burden as an out of control rant unfortunately.
Do not bring in outside content, or information.

How's this, along with the seven examples above and the one from earlier in the thread, for "bringing in outside content" to support my assertion.

Would four instances that roundly refute someone's claim be overwhelming or not overwhelming? I just want to make sure I'm clear on just what constitutes "overwhelming" in you mind. Everyone's got their "bar;" I just want to make sure I know where yours rests.
Yah 4 is still a lot.

2 at most.
Okay. Now I know what your "bar" is in that regard. TY for sharing.

What are the loaded terms in my question that imply I have an opinion one way or the other about whether doing so is right or wrong?

I have to ask
because so often OP content and titles contains little more than a lifted headline and perhaps the OP-er's thinly presented opinion on the "headline." Often enough, the "headline" and OP says nothing that can't be obtained from consuming the content of any news outlet. Thus, I've often found myself wondering whether folks genuinely see USMB as a "practice pen" for budding cub reporters?

^That.
But the question I've asked people to answer is this, "Do many, perhaps most, members who create threads in the Politics, CDZ and Current Events subforums yearn to be news reporters?" No matter what I wrote to in sharing the observations that inspired the question, the fact remains that I haven't asked a loaded question. I've given potential responders a neutrally posed question to answer.

What are you of a mind to do? Assert that my observations are inaccurately described? Are you really going to assert that those terms inaptly describe a great number of OPs in the noted subforums? Surely you aren't going to conflate an observation with an opinion about that which is observed.
That's just from clicking my way down the listed Current Events topics. Does anything you see there strike you as not being "little more," "thinly presented," or content that can't be obtained from merely reading the article that's linked.or picking it up from a competing news outlet? My use of those phrases does not constitute my opinion; those phrases accurately describe the content one observes in those posts. There's nothing "loaded" about describing extant facts.
You ain't foolin' me Xelor. I hear the ole tsk tsk tsk because everyone here doesn't use dialectical whoosits or whatever you call them in their "arguments." I like your comments and your threads, although we don't always agree, but you have a very formal style that not all people either know how or care to use.
in their "arguments."
Did you click on those links? In how many of them was there something, formal or not, one can call an argument that the OP-er made?
I like your comments and your threads

TY
a very formal style

My question is about content, not style.
I never said all articles have strong commentary by the OP poster. No one I've heard here is attempting to deny that. What I'm saying is that you are certainly being critical of that fact and I can't imagine why you are even trying to say you're not.
Sometimes you find the most damnable stuff to argue about.

Frankly, I wasn't looking for an argument. I've been drawn into one by you forcing me to defend the nature and intent of the question I posed. I just wanted folks to answer the question, "yes" or "no," and include a bit of exposition regarding their answer.
When you insult people they tend to say nay.

But the question I've asked people to answer is this, "Do many, perhaps most, members who create threads in the Politics, CDZ and Current Events subforums yearn to be news reporters?" No matter what I wrote to in sharing the observations that inspired the question, the fact remains that I haven't asked a loaded question. I've given potential responders a neutrally posed question to answer.

What are you of a mind to do? Assert that my observations are inaccurately described? Are you really going to assert that those terms inaptly describe a great number of OPs in the noted subforums? Surely you aren't going to conflate an observation with an opinion about that which is observed.
That's just from clicking my way down the listed Current Events topics. Does anything you see there strike you as not being "little more," "thinly presented," or content that can't be obtained from merely reading the article that's linked.or picking it up from a competing news outlet? My use of those phrases does not constitute my opinion; those phrases accurately describe the content one observes in those posts. There's nothing "loaded" about describing extant facts.
You ain't foolin' me Xelor. I hear the ole tsk tsk tsk because everyone here doesn't use dialectical whoosits or whatever you call them in their "arguments." I like your comments and your threads, although we don't always agree, but you have a very formal style that not all people either know how or care to use.
in their "arguments."
Did you click on those links? In how many of them was there something, formal or not, one can call an argument that the OP-er made?

TY
a very formal style

I never said all articles have strong commentary by the OP poster. No one I've heard here is attempting to deny that. What I'm saying is that you are certainly being critical of that fact and I can't imagine why you are even trying to say you're not.

Frankly, I wasn't looking for an argument. I've been drawn into one by you forcing me to defend the nature and intent of the question I posed. I just wanted folks to answer the question, "yes" or "no," and include a bit of exposition regarding their answer.
C'mon. You know as well as I that a straightforward (not loaded) question that doesn't "put words in responders' mouths" cannot be an insult. Compare the question I posed for this thread with the one found here or here.

in their "arguments."

TY
a very formal style

C'mon. You know as well as I that a straightforward (not loaded) question that doesn't "put words in responders' mouths" cannot be an insult. Compare the question I posed for this thread with the one found here or here.
<sigh>
As a suggestion, if you wanted to ask a straightforward question, you could eliminate the belittling adjectives and put a yes/no survey question at the top.

TY

<sigh>
As a suggestion, if you wanted to ask a straightforward question, you could eliminate the belittling adjectives and put a yes/no survey question at the top.
I could have, but as you so surely observed, the so-called-by-you "belittling adjectives" aren't found in the question I asked (nor are they even in the same paragraph, and I know I don't have to tell you the compositional relevance of that.). There're several reasons for that, among them being that one need not agree with, read about or care why I asked the question to affirmatively or negatively answer the question and have one's answer be indicative anything beyond one's direct answer.

It's worth noting that I also could have "loaded" the question itself and I didn't.

Last edited:
I just posted an article with a two sentence introduction in politics. I didn't do it to spite you, but rare as it is, I read something this a.m. in the paper that I wanted to just SHARE.
Ya know, SHARE.

People come here and post for all different reasons, I'm sure. Maybe some people do want to become writers or journalists. So what? :dunno: Obviously those who are only posting a few sentences are not looking to become journalists or writers.

I just posted an article with a two sentence introduction in politics. I didn't do it to spite you, but rare as it is, I read something this a.m. in the paper that I wanted to just SHARE.
Ya know, SHARE.
Yup and it sucked.

If you really want to do a great job, then only 2 links, one of them pro, the other con.

But whatever you do you always need to avoid the temptation to rant.

People come here and post for all different reasons, I'm sure. Maybe some people do want to become writers or journalists. So what? :dunno: Obviously those who are only posting a few sentences are not looking to become journalists or writers.

Some of us don't feel compelled to go on a tirade only to fall on deaf ears. Note my short sentence with little need for more follow up.

If you really want to do a great job, then only 2 links, one of them pro, the other con.

Unless I'm specifically intending to present a dialectical argument, I'm unlikely to present references that strongly present the counterargument(s) to the one I'm making.

I tend to be quite well aware of the strong counterargument(s) to mine so that I'm prepared to rebut them. Also, I nearly always can argue from the standpoint of the counter to my own position, but were I to do so, it'd be purely as an academic exercise, and I don't post for the sake of exercising or tickling any abstract interest I may have in advancing a position for the sake of doing so. I did that in high school and college. Those days are, for me, long gone.

Unless I'm specifically intending to present a dialectical argument, I'm unlikely to present references that strongly present the counterargument(s) to the one I'm making.

I tend to be quite well aware of the strong counterargument(s) to mine so that I'm prepared to rebut them. Also, I nearly always can argue from the standpoint of the counter to my own position, but were I to do so, it'd be purely as an academic exercise, and I don't post for the sake of exercising or tickling any abstract interest I may have in advancing a position for the sake of doing so. I did that in high school and college. Those days are, for me, long gone.
One sided arguments are mostly rhetoric.

Watch out for rhetoric. It will rot your mind.

I have thought about your query Xelor for the past couple of days now and I believe these are the various relevant answers:

1 - People come here for cyber companionship.

2 - They lead fairly isolated lives and the Internet is the only place they can experience any back and forth interplay with human intellects.

3 - They are stuck in a relationship that has fizzled out and they need more.

4 - Some have ego's and therefore they embrace rhetoric and fallacies to promote their own sense of aptitude to hide their true ineptitude.

5 - Some are extreme extroverts who cannot make decisions on their own and need input from others to do so.

Ok that's my short list.

:D

I have thought about your query Xelor for the past couple of days now and I believe these are the various relevant answers:

1 - People come here for cyber companionship.

2 - They lead fairly isolated lives and the Internet is the only place they can experience any back and forth interplay with human intellects.

3 - They are stuck in a relationship that has fizzled out and they need more.

4 - Some have ego's and therefore they embrace rhetoric and fallacies to promote their own sense of aptitude to hide their true ineptitude.

5 - Some are extreme extroverts who cannot make decisions on their own and need input from others to do so.

Ok that's my short list.

:D
TY for your reply. I'm going to infer from what you've posited that your answer to my question is "no."

Forum List

Back