A question I have to ask...

What are the loaded terms in my question that imply I have an opinion one way or the other about whether doing so is right or wrong?

I have to ask
because so often OP content and titles contains little more than a lifted headline and perhaps the OP-er's thinly presented opinion on the "headline." Often enough, the "headline" and OP says nothing that can't be obtained from consuming the content of any news outlet. Thus, I've often found myself wondering whether folks genuinely see USMB as a "practice pen" for budding cub reporters?

^That.
But the question I've asked people to answer is this, "Do many, perhaps most, members who create threads in the Politics, CDZ and Current Events subforums yearn to be news reporters?" No matter what I wrote to in sharing the observations that inspired the question, the fact remains that I haven't asked a loaded question. I've given potential responders a neutrally posed question to answer.

What are you of a mind to do? Assert that my observations are inaccurately described? Are you really going to assert that those terms inaptly describe a great number of OPs in the noted subforums? Surely you aren't going to conflate an observation with an opinion about that which is observed.
That's just from clicking my way down the listed Current Events topics. Does anything you see there strike you as not being "little more," "thinly presented," or content that can't be obtained from merely reading the article that's linked.or picking it up from a competing news outlet? My use of those phrases does not constitute my opinion; those phrases accurately describe the content one observes in those posts. There's nothing "loaded" about describing extant facts.
You ain't foolin' me Xelor. I hear the ole tsk tsk tsk because everyone here doesn't use dialectical whoosits or whatever you call them in their "arguments." I like your comments and your threads, although we don't always agree, but you have a very formal style that not all people either know how or care to use.
in their "arguments."
Did you click on those links? In how many of them was there something, formal or not, one can call an argument that the OP-er made?
I like your comments and your threads

TY
a very formal style

My question is about content, not style.
I never said all articles have strong commentary by the OP poster. No one I've heard here is attempting to deny that. What I'm saying is that you are certainly being critical of that fact and I can't imagine why you are even trying to say you're not.
Sometimes you find the most damnable stuff to argue about.

Frankly, I wasn't looking for an argument. I've been drawn into one by you forcing me to defend the nature and intent of the question I posed. I just wanted folks to answer the question, "yes" or "no," and include a bit of exposition regarding their answer.
OldLady loves to argue.

:D

Do many, perhaps most, members who create threads in the Politics, CDZ and Current Events subforums yearn to be news reporters?

I have to ask because so often OP content and titles contains little more than a lifted headline and perhaps the OP-er's thinly presented opinion on the "headline." Often enough, the "headline" and OP says nothing that can't be obtained from consuming the content of any news outlet. Thus, I've often found myself wondering whether folks genuinely see USMB as a "practice pen" for budding cub reporters?
Do many, perhaps most, members who create threads in the Politics, CDZ and Current Events subforums yearn to be news reporters?

I have to ask because so often OP content and titles contains little more than a lifted headline and perhaps the OP-er's thinly presented opinion on the "headline." Often enough, the "headline" and OP says nothing that can't be obtained from consuming the content of any news outlet. Thus, I've often found myself wondering whether folks genuinely see USMB as a "practice pen" for budding cub reporters?

What kind of question is that? What are we going to talk about? Jesus most people today cherry pick their news.
He just wants to talk about how glorious his feelings and opinions are. Do not bring in outside content, or information.

Exactly...

Great eye...

(1) Content, (2) Organization, and (3) Grammar/Syntax are the 3 criteria that we graded papers for college Juniors on.

The content must have support and be logical.

The organization must introduce, provide, and summarize the content.

The grammar/syntax must be correct within modern style manual dictates. If you vary from the style manuals you had to justify it verbally in front of the man (moi).

Each paper got 3 grades this way.

It absolutely drives me nuts at times how illiterate many if not most of the posters here on USMB are.

This is not good damn school , people are sharing ideas not writing a fucking thesis
"(1) Content, (2) Organization, and (3) Grammar/Syntax" are as applicable to sentences and paragraphs as they are to theses, papers, books and dissertations.

It's a message board and only simple minds like you who can't debate care.

(1) Content, (2) Organization, and (3) Grammar/Syntax are the 3 criteria that we graded papers for college Juniors on.

The grammar/syntax must be correct within modern style manual dictates. If you vary from the style manuals you had to justify it verbally in front of the man (moi).

It absolutely drives me nuts at times how illiterate many if not most of the posters here on USMB are.

This is not good damn school , people are sharing ideas not writing a fucking thesis
"(1) Content, (2) Organization, and (3) Grammar/Syntax" are as applicable to sentences and paragraphs as they are to theses, papers, books and dissertations.

Though you above have agreed with Koshergirl, you haven't taken the time to read the linked content I provided in the example I offered. That is not the only instance in which I've drawn outside content to support my position. Here are some others:

But the question I've asked people to answer is this, "Do many, perhaps most, members who create threads in the Politics, CDZ and Current Events subforums yearn to be news reporters?" No matter what I wrote to in sharing the observations that inspired the question, the fact remains that I haven't asked a loaded question. I've given potential responders a neutrally posed question to answer.

What are you of a mind to do? Assert that my observations are inaccurately described? Are you really going to assert that those terms inaptly describe a great number of OPs in the noted subforums? Surely you aren't going to conflate an observation with an opinion about that which is observed.
That's just from clicking my way down the listed Current Events topics. Does anything you see there strike you as not being "little more," "thinly presented," or content that can't be obtained from merely reading the article that's linked.or picking it up from a competing news outlet? My use of those phrases does not constitute my opinion; those phrases accurately describe the content one observes in those posts. There's nothing "loaded" about describing extant facts.
You ain't foolin' me Xelor. I hear the ole tsk tsk tsk because everyone here doesn't use dialectical whoosits or whatever you call them in their "arguments." I like your comments and your threads, although we don't always agree, but you have a very formal style that not all people either know how or care to use.
in their "arguments."
Did you click on those links? In how many of them was there something, formal or not, one can call an argument that the OP-er made?
I like your comments and your threads

TY
a very formal style

I never said all articles have strong commentary by the OP poster. No one I've heard here is attempting to deny that. What I'm saying is that you are certainly being critical of that fact and I can't imagine why you are even trying to say you're not.

Frankly, I wasn't looking for an argument. I've been drawn into one by you forcing me to defend the nature and intent of the question I posed. I just wanted folks to answer the question, "yes" or "no," and include a bit of exposition regarding their answer.
OldLady loves to argue.

:D
Maybe she does. I really can't say. She can, however, and perhaps she'll reply letting us know whether she loves to argue.

Though you above have agreed with Koshergirl, you haven't taken the time to read the linked content I provided in the example I offered. That is not the only instance in which I've drawn outside content to support my position. Here are some others:
This is called overwhelming volume.

I would say you need to target this more.

Overwhelming volume may be right on but it bears the same burden as an out of control rant unfortunately.

Overwhelming volume may be right on but it bears the same burden as an out of control rant unfortunately.
That "overwhelming volume," as you put it, testifies to the unmitigated inaccuracy and gall of the claim that I don't support my claims with outside sources. FWIW, seven posts is hardly what I'd call an "overwhelming volume" of examples.

I find it astounding that folks feel obliged to "read into" the thread question and then attack me, rather than just answer the damn thing, be it for themselves or in speculation of for what others yearn, and be done.

What kind of question is that? What are we going to talk about? Jesus most people today cherry pick their news.
He just wants to talk about how glorious his feelings and opinions are. Do not bring in outside content, or information.

Do not bring in outside content, or information.

How's this, along with the seven examples above and the one from earlier in the thread, for "bringing in outside content" to support my assertion.

Would four instances that roundly refute someone's claim be overwhelming or not overwhelming? I just want to make sure I'm clear on just what constitutes "overwhelming" in you mind. Everyone's got their "bar;" I just want to make sure I know where yours rests.

Who cares? A story is posted, use Google research it for yourself and your life's wisdom. To form.an opinion.

All ways some facts to a story..

Who cares? A story is posted, use Google research it for yourself and your life's wisdom. To form.an opinion. All ways some facts to a story...
Who cares?

Apparently you and Kohsergirl as she's the one who's assailed me by claiming I don't back up my remarks and you concurred with her. Moreover, you keep responding to remarks in the line of discussion she started.

Last edited:

Who cares? A story is posted, use Google research it for yourself and your life's wisdom. To form.an opinion. All ways some facts to a story...
Who cares?

Apparently you and Kohsergirl as she's the one who's assailed me by claiming I don't back up my remarks and you concurred with her.

Look at your OP , kosher spotted it before I.

The only information you want posted is yours..

ded49c8e5e0cb04a9492aa211fbe06b3.jpg

This doesn't happen any more

Who cares?

Apparently you and Kohsergirl as she's the one who's assailed me by claiming I don't back up my remarks and you concurred with her.

Look at your OP , kosher spotted it before I.

The only information you want posted is yours..

View attachment 125638

This doesn't happen any more

Actually, the information I want posted are people's direct answers to the question posed in the OP.

The only ones who might want to be reporters are the ones who post the big long op eds (or novels, as I like to call them).

The only ones who might want to be reporters are the ones who post the big long op eds (or novels, as I like to call them).
I'll have to find those folks and ask them.

You have not been here long enough.

Look in the Writers Corner . . . or the Flamer Zone. :D

Who cares?

Apparently you and Kohsergirl as she's the one who's assailed me by claiming I don't back up my remarks and you concurred with her. Moreover, you keep responding to remarks in the line of discussion she started.
Grammar/syntax note:

You "concur in" not "with" as in ...

"And you concurred in her opinion as well ... ".

Forum List

Back