A Question For USMB* Vets*

AquaAthena

America First...MAGA
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2010
Central Coast
I am not a fan of war movies, as killing and combat makes me anxious and sad, BUT I would like to watch a movie depicting the most accurate Vietnam War experience that has been produced. So I am asking you, in your opinion, which film you would recommend that would help me achieve my goal. I want to see this for the historical relevance. Any other films accurately depicting any wars or conflicts, would be of interest to me as well. Can you help me? :)

Thank you and :salute:

Yours in gratitude,

AquaAthena*

it hard to name one, full metal jacket accurate? in some ways...but, frankly, I'd go with Hamburger Hill....

other wars? god almighty AA...

one of my favs is Zulu...;)

pretty accurate, very well done...

and Waterloo with Rod Stieger ans Christopher Plumber.

Platoon....hands down. H and full metal jacket for a realistic boot camp experience.

:eusa_hand:please huh....the living experiance in platoon was very well done, but shooting civvies in the head etc etc? ....uhm sorry. I was hoping no one would mentioon that. hack city.

Oh man, I LOVE zulu!!!

What a great question, Aqua!!!! I will be eyeballing this thread too.
So far, the recommendations are pretty good, but I've already seen them all. Still...I don't know how accurate they are. Would be nice to know from those who experienced it.

Also which nam experience?

Recon?
Supplies?
Air cav?
Running an officers club?
Having a teenaged hooker/housekeeper?
Flying over dropping napalm?
Shelling from a battleship?
The medics and doctors?

Everyone who went to nam did not have the same experience.
ONe guy I know got a purple heart from a water heater esoploding in his barracks. That was the closest to action he came.

The Deer Hunter
Hamburger Hill
We Were Soldiers
Hanoi Hilton
Good Morning Vietnam

Some Statistics from the Vietnam War

58,148 killed in Vietnam
304,000 Wounded in Action
86% of the men who died in Vietnam were Caucasians
13% were African American
1% Other
Average age of the American soldier killed in action was 23
2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers
91% of Vietnam Veterans say they are glad they served

The Deer Hunter
Hamburger Hill
We Were Soldiers
Hanoi Hilton
Good Morning Vietnam

Some Statistics from the Vietnam War

58,148 killed in Vietnam
304,000 Wounded in Action
86% of the men who died in Vietnam were Caucasians
13% were African American
1% Other
Average age of the American soldier killed in action was 23
2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers
91% of Vietnam Veterans say they are glad they served

Damn I am a 1/3 or 9% minority take your pick.

Platoon....hands down. H and full metal jacket for a realistic boot camp experience.

:eusa_hand:please huh....the living experiance in platoon was very well done, but shooting civvies in the head etc etc? ....uhm sorry. I was hoping no one would mentioon that. hack city.

I dont want to get into some of the atrocities we did in nam, but yeah, shooting civvies in the head did happen. So did rape. So did unlawfully burning down entire villiages etc.

Things were so different back then. Hell, it was unusual to not be high back then.

I dont want to get into some of the atrocities we did in nam, but yeah, shooting civvies in the head did happen. So did rape. So did unlawfully burning down entire villiages etc.

Things were so different back then. Hell, it was unusual to not be high back then.

yes it did, and so what? and not to be high?

choosing that movie as representative is in fact, reprehensible.....if I have to explain why, do me a favor and put me on ignore ok?

Last edited:
True-life account of the military career of Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in WWII. Native of Texas, he was placed in charge of his many younger siblings on the death of his mother and decided to join the military at the age of 18 to provide for them. His many acts of bravery and heroism during the US military advance through Italy, France and into Germany earn him increasing rank and responsibility as well as the respect of his comrades in arms. Eventually he receives two dozen of the highest medals the US and France can bestow, culminating in the awarding of the Congressional Medal of Honor.

To Hell and Back (1955) - IMDb

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olyf5v_TYUE]YouTube - ‪TO HELL AND BACK 1955 TRAILER AUDIE MURPHY‬‏[/ame]

One of the most bizarre war movies ever made. A harrowing true life story given the "Hollywood" treatment. As much as they tried to turn a "real American hero" into a "movie star", the horrors of war shines through in unexpected ways. This is a movie absolutely worth seeing.

Forum List

Back