A question for U.S. Citizens

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Howcome we're all concerned about a group of people who hate us (Tsunami victims who are largely muslim), but we don't take this same concern for our fallen hero's who don't even get a headstone when their buried? Howcome we don't rally this hard around the sick and hungry in our own country?

Howcome the mainstream media didn't show footage of those who jumped from the burning buildings on the 9/11 attacks but they're quick to show these "victims" - most of whom are U.S. - hating muslims?

Why does Pres. Bush order flags to fly at half-mast over this, but not over the cafeteria bombing a few weeks ago that killed quite a few of our boys over there?

51896117.jpg
- notice the kid wearing an Osama Shirt?

-Cp said:
Howcome we're all concerned about a group of people who hate us (Tsunami victims who are largely muslim), but we don't take this same concern for our fallen hero's who don't even get a headstone when their buried? Howcome we don't rally this hard around the sick and hungry in our own country?

Howcome the mainstream media didn't show footage of those who jumped from the burning buildings on the 9/11 attacks but they're quick to show these "victims" - most of whom are U.S. - hating muslims?

Why does Pres. Bush order flags to fly at half-mast over this, but not over the cafeteria bombing a few weeks ago that killed quite a few of our boys over there?

51896117.jpg

Not only do they get a grave marker, but it is free. Even my father got one and he was far removed from the military by the time he died.

Remember we spent 11 billion on Florida after Hurricanes, we may spend 1 for 177,000 dead from a Tsunami.

However, not doing a thing there would make our job in Iraq even more difficult. Sometimes you have to play PR games and sometimes we care regardless of how those people may think of us.

-Cp said:

51896117.jpg

I like Michael Savage too, but sometimes, contrary to what he likes to say, he doesn't have all his facts straight.

I heard him railing about his last night during my drive home. Veterans get grave markers. Especially those killed in battle. A matter-of-fact, if they also have the right to be buried in Arlington. So somebody is either fucking with Michael's head or he is purposely spouting out false information.

And by the way, Aceh is primarily Christian, that is why there have been problems there between the Muslims and the Christians. Thailand is primarily Buddhist, India Hindu and Sri Lanka, in the south, where most of the damage occured, is also primarily Buddhist. So this destruction was actually piled upon mostly Buddhist and Christians.....

I never asked about them getting a "grave marker" - I specifically said a "headstone" something that's more honorable...

-Cp said:
I never asked about them getting a "grave marker" - I specifically said a "headstone" something that's more honorable...

A headstone is a grave marker. They get a headstone. Haven't you ever seen those crosses, stars of david, etc. at Arlington?

My father died a couple of years ago and he was given a stone that read his name, date of birth, date of death, rank and "Korean War".

Perhaps you are referring to a large 3 x 3 standing marker or something like that. Why is that necessary?

freeandfun1 said:
Perhaps you are referring to a large 3 x 3 standing marker or something like that. Why is that necessary?

Aren't there regulations governing the grave markers anyway?

dilloduck said:
Aren't there regulations governing the grave markers anyway?

In Arlington, yes. In private graveyards, I guess not as I have seen all kinds. But since Arlington has rules due to its historical significance, then those rules probably apply all over to keep with the spirit of the military making all in it equal.

Headstones and Markers

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) furnishes upon request, at no charge to the applicant, a Government headstone or marker for the grave of any deceased eligible veteran in any cemetery around the world. For all deaths occurring before September 11, 2001, the VA may provide a headstone or marker only for graves that are not marked with a private headstone.

freeandfun1 said:
In Arlington, yes. In private graveyards, I guess not as I have seen all kinds. But since Arlington has rules due to its historical significance, then those rules probably apply all over to keep with the spirit of the military making all in it equal.

Guess it's back to the age old question---how does the government prioritize the expenditure of taxpayer money. :bangheads

dilloduck said:
Guess it's back to the age old question---how does the government prioritize the expenditure of taxpayer money. :bangheads

Exactly. Frankly, once I am dead, I could care less if my grave is marked or not....

freeandfun1 said:
Exactly. Frankly, once I am dead, I could care less if my grave is marked or not....

LOL. Kick my body into a canyon I would still be fine.

Funerals are not for the dead; they are for the living and your family may not agree that it would be okay not to have a marker.

As I said, my father got one and he never even served during war time. He got in after Korea and left just before VN. This guy is simply spouting misinformation, he knows most people that read his column would not check into this and would simply believe him. A propaganda machine. If it is even possible I now have even less respect for him than before.

no1tovote4 said:
LOL. Kick my body into a canyon I would still be fine.

Funerals are not for the dead; they are for the living and your family may not agree that it would be okay not to have a marker.

As I said, my father got one and he never even served during war time. He got in after Korea and left just before VN. This guy is simply spouting misinformation, he knows most people that read his column would not check into this and would simply believe him. A propaganda machine. If it is even possible I now have even less respect for him than before.

I think that SGLI (Serviceman's Group Life Insurance) should be increased to $1mil. That wouldn't compensate for the loss of a life, or the loss of a loved one, but it would give the surviving family the security they deserve and it would show that we value the sacrifice made by our military.

-Cp said:

My grandfather fought in WW II when he died recently he was given a very nice headstone that even had the medals he won in the war listed. Your source is misinformed.

Merlin1047 said:
I think that SGLI (Serviceman's Group Life Insurance) should be increased to $1mil. That wouldn't compensate for the loss of a life, or the loss of a loved one, but it would give the surviving family the security they deserve and it would show that we value the sacrifice made by our military.

I can agree with that, especially since we are now an all volunteer military.

This brings me to another subject that irritates the hell out of me.

I keep hearing guys like Hannity, etc. talking about how the families of SF guys should get more money if an SF soldier is killed. Frankly, all soldiers, once dead, should be treated the same. Yes, while alive, I think SF guys should make more money, but a bullet or bomb kills without first discerning if a soldier is an SF operative or a regular Army soldier (using Army terms but applies to all services).

-Cp said:

51896117.jpg

Doesn't the Bible speak to the idea that we are our brothers keepers? You are also guilty of the fallacy of guilt by association.

Bullypulpit said:
Doesn't the Bible speak to the idea that we are our brothers keepers? You are also guilty of the fallacy of guilt by association.

Are we going to be exposed to libs quoting the bible for the next four years? God help us all.

Merlin1047 said:

I'll consider myself fortunate if they don't figure out a way to end my military retirement checks.

rtwngAvngr said:
Are we going to be exposed to libs quoting the bible for the next four years? God help us all.

It's the lingua franca here. And even so, most here are barely capable of understanding, let alone practicing, its teachings.

Forum List

Back