A question for the webmaster

Please note WHO my post was directed to....

The WEBMASTER. The person/people responsible for writing the software under discussion.

Meister did not write the software program and neither did you. Neither of you are in a position to know whether that software contains a bug or not therefore you are not in a position to KNOW what the facts are.

The WEBMASTER. The person/people responsible for writing the software under discussion.

Meister did not write the software program and neither did you. Neither of you are in a position to know whether that software contains a bug or not therefore you are not in a position to KNOW what the facts are.

I gave you the name of the software company, Swiz, now just google the name to get the info for contacts and take up your issue with them.

Are you aware of a problem with replying to a post and how that reply is displayed?

Here is the thread I'm referring to

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/242262-uh-oh-is-ct-senate-now-in-play.html

I always view posts in Threaded Mode. I also never use the Quote option since if I'm responding to a post, it gets nested/indented under the right post and it's very obvious who I'm responding to.

Now if you view the posts on page 1 in Linear Mode, you will note that several posters don't use the Quotes, including me. posts also appear to be sequenced properly under the post they are responding to.

BUT! I left for a while and when I came back, I responded to several other posts that were on page 1 [although Threaded mode doesn't tell you what page they're on]. Viewing them in Threaded Mode, they appeared to be nested properly.

This is when another poster called it to my attention, telling me I was "talking to myself" and that I should use the Quote function.

At first I didn't understand what he was talking about, but when i looked in Linear Mode, my posts didn't get nested properly under the posts I was responding to but instead were simply posted on page 2 where all of my responses ended up stacked one after the other and making no sense at all.

I don't really think using Quote should be the answer. I'm certainly not the only one who doesn't use Quates in Threaded Mode and I know that there are many people who have posted a response at the "wrong" time and never aware it's not being displayed properly. I've seen many of these "stray" posts that seemed out of place or not quite right and wondered why. I've also run across other posters telling people to use Quote.

So is there a solution to killing this "bug"?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzrUqAtUcpU]Ten years after - I'd love to change to world - YouTube[/ame]

:lol:

Yes, I can, Meister.

But I'm not about to argue the point with those who clearly don't understand what "the point" is.

You finally provided me with the answer and I will follow up on it with the people who actually wrote the software.

I also find it rather strange that you have been "honored" with the title of administrator yet feel no hesitation in attempting to insult those who ask legitimate questions. I daresay they didn't examine your resume too deeply.

I switched over the threaded mode to see if I could figure out who this post was in response to.

Even then I couldn't figure it out. I clicked on a couple of "More replies below current depth..." links without finding it so then I just gave up. Way more trouble than it's worth.

I definitely don't understand the charm of threaded mode. Too much work to get to the content.

Yes, I can, Meister.

But I'm not about to argue the point with those who clearly don't understand what "the point" is.

You finally provided me with the answer and I will follow up on it with the people who actually wrote the software.

I also find it rather strange that you have been "honored" with the title of administrator yet feel no hesitation in attempting to insult those who ask legitimate questions. I daresay they didn't examine your resume too deeply.

I answered your question back in post # 13...yet you did the energizer bunny and kept going and going and going. I have not posted one time as an administrator, but I have as a poster. If I had posted as an administrator, it would have been posted in red.

Seems strange you could be a webmaster for 15 years, or even be on the web as a user for 15 years, and never heard of v-bulletin and how it works. Its been around for more than 10 years and is fairly common nothing unusual or strange about it

Are you aware of a problem with replying to a post and how that reply is displayed?

Here is the thread I'm referring to

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/242262-uh-oh-is-ct-senate-now-in-play.html

I always view posts in Threaded Mode. I also never use the Quote option since if I'm responding to a post, it gets nested/indented under the right post and it's very obvious who I'm responding to.

Now if you view the posts on page 1 in Linear Mode, you will note that several posters don't use the Quotes, including me. posts also appear to be sequenced properly under the post they are responding to.

BUT! I left for a while and when I came back, I responded to several other posts that were on page 1 [although Threaded mode doesn't tell you what page they're on]. Viewing them in Threaded Mode, they appeared to be nested properly.

This is when another poster called it to my attention, telling me I was "talking to myself" and that I should use the Quote function.

At first I didn't understand what he was talking about, but when i looked in Linear Mode, my posts didn't get nested properly under the posts I was responding to but instead were simply posted on page 2 where all of my responses ended up stacked one after the other and making no sense at all.

I don't really think using Quote should be the answer. I'm certainly not the only one who doesn't use Quates in Threaded Mode and I know that there are many people who have posted a response at the "wrong" time and never aware it's not being displayed properly. I've seen many of these "stray" posts that seemed out of place or not quite right and wondered why. I've also run across other posters telling people to use Quote.

So is there a solution to killing this "bug"?

you are looking for threads....

there are some sites with threaded formats

Yes, I can, Meister.

suicide is a viable option for some people. did you know that? It's common knowledge

In all seriousness.........

as an administrator, you are the "face" and the spokesman for this site. Thus my ref to being a "renter" and not an owner.

I'm also not sure what you mean by being just one of the folks. I've had my own website for 15 years and until the last few years created my site from scratch. There were no bugs other than the ones I created and had to fix.

Recently I "bought" software to deal with certain aspects unique to my "business" and "bought" server space to put my new package on.

But with both the software package AND the server side, I have always been able to contact either the software creator or the techies from the server about any problems I may be having. And I've never been told I have to live with it, so to speak.

Because it's my own site, I am the administrator and must try to solve any problems users may be having with my site. That's part of my job.

I'm the user on this site and you're the administrator. Perhaps you're unable to answer my question but I would think you would have access to someone in the hierarchy who could provide one.

I'm sorry but I don't believe users should have to deal with site problems not of their making and that they are not aware of until someone calls it to their attention.

maybe if you weren't such a douche bag......

nah

Yes, I can, Meister.

perhaps you should consider the option of eating shit and barking at the moon?

Forum List

Back