A question for the religious

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
What is it, exactly about what your religion promises that appeals to you? Is it the promise of setting eyes on deity? Is it the promise of a a Utopia free of illness and evil? Is it the mere promise of escaping death- for fear of death itself or for fear of the unknown? What is it about what you personally believe awaits you after death should you follow the commandments of your faith that draws you to it?

What is it, exactly about what your religion promises that appeals to you? Is it the promise of setting eyes on deity? Is it the promise of a a Utopia free of illness and evil? Is it the mere promise of escaping death- for fear of death itself or for fear of the unknown? What is it about what you personally believe awaits you after death should you follow the commandments of your faith that draws you to it?

Worms.

No idea. I don't have to go that far our of my way to obey any "commandments" anyway.

Not killing ain't that hard. Not Stealing seems resonable. Yada yada yada.

Do you have some reason to think that the unknown will be peachy ?

• Banned

No idea.

So you don't know what it is that your faith tells you about what comes after death that is appealing? What do you believe happens when you die? Is there more than one possible outcome? If so, is one possible outcome appealing in itself (if so, what about it appeals to you?) or is it merely better than the alternative(s)?
Clarify

No idea. I don't have to go that far our of my way to obey any "commandments" anyway.

Not killing ain't that hard. Not Stealing seems resonable. Yada yada yada.

Well if you did not covet your neighbors property.. Well there goes capitalism right out the window.

Someone just linked me to this vid I had never seen it, makes sense to me ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEs2nj7iZM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEs2nj7iZM[/ame]

Last edited:

Peace, Harmony, Communion.

The chance for eternal happiness doing whatever in heaven instead of the chance for eternal damnation sure weighs on my mind some Sunday mornings.

MOST mainstream religious rules help keep the civil peace. Not stealing and not sleeping with my neighbor's wife makes my neighborhood and thus my own life better.

SO, I have a couple reasons to more or less follow my religion.

Do you believe such is impossible to achieve on Earth? Do you believe everyone will be present to enjoy this or only those who share your beliefs and practices?

The chance for eternal happiness doing whatever in heaven instead of the chance for eternal damnation sure weighs on my mind some Sunday mornings.

What do you believe heaven is like, that you will be eternally happy? Or will your god somehow make you happy as though you'd been given a drug? Is your vision of heaven itself such that it would bring you happiness? Or is it merely better than hell? Do you need the threat of hell to truly desire heaven? Could heaven be better in any way?

MOST mainstream religious rules help keep the civil peace. Not stealing and not sleeping with my neighbor's wife makes my neighborhood and thus my own life better.

A fine guide for the social contract and the rise of laws. I'd argue that organized religion has historically fueled ingroup/outgroup psychology and prevented us from having a better world than we might otherwise achieve.

Also, Intense, do you believe human nature will somehow be changes upon entering Heaven to prevent that communion from failing as people form their own cliques as here on Earth? Or will only a select few who share your views be present so that there is no disagreement?

What do you believe heaven is like, that you will be eternally happy? Or will your god somehow make you happy as though you'd been given a drug? Is your vision of heaven itself such that it would bring you happiness? Or is it merely better than hell? Do you need the threat of hell to truly desire heaven? Could heaven be better in any way?

A fine guide for the social contract and the rise of laws. I'd argue that organized religion has historically fueled ingroup/outgroup psychology and prevented us from having a better world than we might otherwise achieve.

No argument here. Human failings have created much trouble from innocent enough religions. See the Dark Ages of Europe after the rise of Christianity and what happened in the Middle East after Islam took over.

My idea of heaven? Never had a christian philosopher successfully convince me their view is right. Will we be one with God? Will we just be hanging out in heaven? Will I get to create my own universe for entertainment? Can't quite figure it out to be honest. Perhaps after Judgment Day we get to be Angel like. Sounds better than ceasing to exist or fire and brimstone lol.

No argument here. Human failings have created much trouble from innocent enough religions. See the Dark Ages of Europe after the rise of Christianity and what happened in the Middle East after Islam took over.

My idea of heaven? Never had a christian philosopher successfully convince me their view is right. Will we be one with God? Will we just be hanging out in heaven? Will I get to create my own universe for entertainment? Can't quite figure it out to be honest. Perhaps after Judgment Day we get to be Angel like. Sounds better than ceasing to exist or fire and brimstone lol.
So you like the idea of a 'better world' and find comfort in the idea from the fear of either hell or oblivion but hold no real beliefs regarding what comes after death?

That is a fair interpretation. I expect heaven involves some level of free thought. It seems the angels of the Bible and Lucifer of pre-Bible times had it.

Be certain though, although I attended many years of Catholic schools and have taken courses covering various religions from both theological and historical views I am not the most religious person here.

Do you believe such is impossible to achieve on Earth? Do you believe everyone will be present to enjoy this or only those who share your beliefs and practices?

Not at all. You need to get out of Tucson more. Have you ever been to Cochise's Stronghold? Cochise Stronghold - Coronado National Forest

Desert People never seem to get enough Ocean. :)

intense-albums-beaches-picture3348-img-6822-03.jpg

intense-albums-beaches-picture3287-img-2847-03.jpg

intense-albums-beaches-picture3285-img-1650-03.jpg

No idea.

So you don't know what it is that your faith tells you about what comes after death that is appealing? What do you believe happens when you die? Is there more than one possible outcome? If so, is one possible outcome appealing in itself (if so, what about it appeals to you?) or is it merely better than the alternative(s)?
Clarify

My interpretation is that it just tells me everything will be OK. I can't earn it and I have no interest in convincing anyone else to believe me.
It has some good tips for daily living too.

an infinity of nothing seems sorta boring. If I won't be around to be bored then I won't be at all. Being is just alright with me. (with apologies to the Dooby Brothers)

Clarify

My interpretation is that it just tells me everything will be OK. I can't earn it and I have no interest in convincing anyone else to believe me.
It has some good tips for daily living too.

an infinity of nothing seems sorta boring. If I won't be around to be bored then I won't be at all. Being is just alright with me. (with apologies to the Dooby Brothers)

I am getting the impression that you have Eternity confused with "The Never Ending Story" ;)

Forum List

Back