A Question for the Moms

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
And an open discussion for all.

Ok, so I hear at least once a day some woman talk about how men don't know pain this, and labor that, and how it's the most painful thing anybody could possibly go through, and men are all wimps because they complain about things like broken legs and shattered testicles. So, my question is, is it really all that bad?

My mom, who gave birth to two children with no painkillers, says no. Her theory is that the Hollywood types saw births by women who were on twilight, which dopes you up so you don't remember anything, but makes you crazy while you're on it. They saw the woman yelling and screaming and throwing things and cursing and all this crap, so they always depict childbirth that way on TV (when using this drug, the mother's perspective is waking up in the hospital bed and asking how the baby's doing). Then, the feminist movement picked this whole thing up and used it to call men wusses. Now, she does say that, yes, labor is *quite* uncomfortable, but not as much as a migraine. However, she says maybe it varies from person to person and that just because it wasn't that bad for hear doesn't meant that it isn't that bad for everyone, so I'm just curious. And be honest.

Hobbit said:
And an open discussion for all.

Ok, so I hear at least once a day some woman talk about how men don't know pain this, and labor that, and how it's the most painful thing anybody could possibly go through, and men are all wimps because they complain about things like broken legs and shattered testicles. So, my question is, is it really all that bad?

My mom, who gave birth to two children with no painkillers, says no. Her theory is that the Hollywood types saw births by women who were on twilight, which dopes you up so you don't remember anything, but makes you crazy while you're on it. They saw the woman yelling and screaming and throwing things and cursing and all this crap, so they always depict childbirth that way on TV (when using this drug, the mother's perspective is waking up in the hospital bed and asking how the baby's doing). Then, the feminist movement picked this whole thing up and used it to call men wusses. Now, she does say that, yes, labor is *quite* uncomfortable, but not as much as a migraine. However, she says maybe it varies from person to person and that just because it wasn't that bad for hear doesn't meant that it isn't that bad for everyone, so I'm just curious. And be honest.

Heard this analogy of the pain women “may” go through years ago.

Men, grasp your upper lip (near the corners) with both hands.
Now pull it as far forward (away from yer face) as you can.
Now, with one fast continuous movement, pull it UP and over your head until it touches the back of yer neck!

OUCH!!!
:)

Everyone's pain threshhold is different. As for me, it hurt like HELL.

Many other severe types of pain either make you pass out, or you are quickly anaesthetized and then operated upon. With labor and childbirth, you just have to go through the pain awake, often for many, many hours, unless you opt for a spinal.

Abbey Normal said:
Everyone's pain threshhold is different. As for me, it hurt like HELL.

Many other severe types of pain either make you pass out, or you are quickly anaesthetized and then operated upon. With labor and childbirth, you just have to go through the pain awake, often for many, many hours, unless you opt for a spinal.
I agree, everyone is different. I went into shock after my first one. A lady I know was there giving birth to her second , the same day I was there. All she'd do is go 'Oh"......."Oh" when her pains came while I writhed in agony. And there was one poor lady there whose hubby vowed never to touch his wife again as she suffered terribly.

As with the spinal, they wait until the baby's head is crowning before they ever administer it so really isn't all that worth it. But I was scared and it made the actual birth tolerable. And I wasn't allowed up for 8 hours.

An epidural seems to be the acceptable norm nowadays but as with my DIL, they had to induce labor and told her to wait til she couldn't stand it any longer as the epidural slows the labor down. (I think it's a God-send.)

Still I don't know of any other way to get kids into this world.

I have a really high pain tolerance, but HECK YES, IT HURTS!!! My last two kids and 35 hours of my 2nd child were natural. For me, it wasn't a sharp, breathtaking pain (except the back labor; I don't think anything could possibly be more painful than back labor). But the sheer exhaustion wears you down until you don't think you can stand it any more, and your hormones get all crazy, so you're really emotional.

I think of it as riding a wave. You just have to ride it out and try not to fight it, because then it really can almost make you panic.

I guess it is different for everyone. Like I said, my mom was fine for both her kids. And don't get me wrong, I imagine it's quite a burden to go through and I appreciate that I don't have to do it (just sit back and enjoy while I fight to keep ya safe, ladies ;)).

Still, I don't like childbirth being lorded over me like it means I'm somehow inferior just because "I don't know pain." You know, we all have our burdens to bear, and I don't think I've ever seen a woman fight a war or get kicked in the ovaries. I know I don't need to tell anybody here this, but I think it's healthier to concentrate on overcoming your own burdens rather than telling everyone else yours is worse.

As for the lip analogy, it's like my mom told me. A woman's birth canal is designed (or evolved, if it really bothers you that much) to stretch to accomodate a child. A man's lip is not designed to stretch over the back of his head.

Hobbit said:
I guess it is different for everyone. Like I said, my mom was fine for both her kids. And don't get me wrong, I imagine it's quite a burden to go through and I appreciate that I don't have to do it (just sit back and enjoy while I fight to keep ya safe, ladies ;)).

Still, I don't like childbirth being lorded over me like it means I'm somehow inferior just because "I don't know pain." You know, we all have our burdens to bear, and I don't think I've ever seen a woman fight a war or get kicked in the ovaries. I know I don't need to tell anybody here this, but I think it's healthier to concentrate on overcoming your own burdens rather than telling everyone else yours is worse.

As for the lip analogy, it's like my mom told me. A woman's birth canal is designed (or evolved, if it really bothers you that much) to stretch to accomodate a child. A man's lip is not designed to stretch over the back of his head.

as a guy i have few for you for you hobbit......played soccer....took a shoot square in the pills.....peed blood for a few days finaly went to the doctor....they took a 6" q tip and ramed it up my penis.....they we checking for VD :scratch: .....tested negative......so they figured it was a blader thing....a 18" steel rod with a camera on the end was inserted via my penis fill your bladder with water.....that was fun......then you get to pee......after you are done screaming cuz everything is raw......doc will tell you must have rupter a blood vessel it will heal drink lots of water...... :banana2:

Hobbit, some advice to tuck away for the future: when the day comes that your wife is giving birth, don't tell her the pain can't be that bad, or you will never hear the end of it. ;)

Hobbit said:
....Still, I don't like childbirth being lorded over me like it means I'm somehow inferior just because "I don't know pain." You know, we all have our burdens to bear, and I don't think I've ever seen a woman fight a war or get kicked in the ovaries. I know I don't need to tell anybody here this, but I think it's healthier to concentrate on overcoming your own burdens rather than telling everyone else yours is worse....
I'm just curious where this is coming from.

Joz said:
I'm just curious where this is coming from.

Because every time I meet a feminazi, one of her first knee-jerk reactions is to make me feel inferior because I can't possibly ever know what pain is really like because I'm not a woman. She then goes on and on about how many different ways women are better than men, but it always starts with the childbirth thing and only ends when I walk off.

I go to college, where this sort of thing is the norm, rather than the exception. Trust me, I know not all women are like this, but I know all propogandists mix truth with their fiction, and I just wanted to know how much truth there was to this whole thing.

The reason I got to asking this question in the first place, though, is that nearly everyone I saw doing this...didn't have any children, so I was wondering if a) the whole thing was a big distortion, b) something only feminists cared about, c) something that was cared about, but that only the feminists used as leverage, or d) a mixture of the above.

It's looking like c. Honestly, I'm glad of the answers, no matter what they are. I almost didn't post this as asking questions like this on a college campus in public seems to carry the danger of being castrated.

Oh, and manu...ow. Just...ow. This, coming from a guy who ran on a broken leg for six straight days during boot camp. Dang man, just...ow. (girls, if, by any chance, you don't entirely buy the 'nuts' story, read manus post to a guy and watch him turn pale)

Hobbit said:
Because every time I meet a feminazi, one of her first knee-jerk reactions is to make me feel inferior because I can't possibly ever know what pain is really like because I'm not a woman. She then goes on and on about how many different ways women are better than men, but it always starts with the childbirth thing and only ends when I walk off.

Knee jerk reaction to what?

The thing about child birth is that there are a few distractions, especially at the end. I'm not sure about you other moms, but when my daughter was born we were like "wow, it really is a baby". :laugh:

Hobbit said:

I go to college, where this sort of thing is the norm, rather than the exception. Trust me, I know not all women are like this, but I know all propogandists mix truth with their fiction, and I just wanted to know how much truth there was to this whole thing.

The reason I got to asking this question in the first place, though, is that nearly everyone I saw doing this...didn't have any children, so I was wondering if a) the whole thing was a big distortion, b) something only feminists cared about, c) something that was cared about, but that only the feminists used as leverage, or d) a mixture of the above.

It's looking like c. Honestly, I'm glad of the answers, no matter what they are. I almost didn't post this as asking questions like this on a college campus in public seems to carry the danger of being castrated.

Oh, and manu...ow. Just...ow. This, coming from a guy who ran on a broken leg for six straight days during boot camp. Dang man, just...ow. (girls, if, by any chance, you don't entirely buy the 'nuts' story, read manus post to a guy and watch him turn pale)
So what do you think is more painful? Childbirth or your broken leg story?

The ClayTaurus said:

It's clay, king of the girls! :rotflmao: Cut those apron strings, boy.

rtwngAvngr said:
It's clay, king of the girls! :rotflmao: Cut those apron strings, boy.
Weren't you bitching yesterday about threads getting off topic? You're looking pathetic again.

The ClayTaurus said:

I don't know and I never can. I accept that. However, I don't appreciate the condescention the feminists give over childbirth, and I'm also quite wary of feminist distortions, exaggerations, and downright lies (ever actually researched their rape statistics?). However, childbirth LOOKS really frickin' painful, so while my immediate reaction was to dismiss what they said as more distortions, I felt it would be improper because I really didn't know.

That being said, no matter which is more painful, running on a broken leg really hurts, no matter who you are, and I didn't appreciate being told that it was nothing because it was a drop in the ocean compared to childbirth.

Said1 said:
Knee jerk reaction to what?

There being a man in their immediate vicinity that didn't immediately bow to their superiority. I'm serious. The only men I didn't see being accosted near their booths were the ones who were with their girlfriends and quite obviously whipped.

Hobbit said:
I don't know and I never can. I accept that. However, I don't appreciate the condescention the feminists give over childbirth, and I'm also quite wary of feminist distortions, exaggerations, and downright lies (ever actually researched their rape statistics?). However, childbirth LOOKS really frickin' painful, so while my immediate reaction was to dismiss what they said as more distortions, I felt it would be improper because I really didn't know.

That being said, no matter which is more painful, running on a broken leg really hurts, no matter who you are, and I didn't appreciate being told that it was nothing because it was a drop in the ocean compared to childbirth.

There being a man in their immediate vicinity that didn't immediately bow to their superiority. I'm serious. The only men I didn't see being accosted near their booths were the ones who were with their girlfriends and quite obviously whipped.

Not to be crude..but try shoving something the size of a watermelon through something the size of a grapefruit... See if that hurts. :)

(I heard some comedian say something similar a few years ago - while funny as hell at the time, it's true..)

Shattered said:
Not to be crude..but try shoving something the size of a watermelon through something the size of a grapefruit... See if that hurts. :)

(I heard some comedian say something similar a few years ago - while funny as hell at the time, it's true..)

TTIWWP

(you had to know that was coming)

Forum List

Back