a question for rock climbers?

I was watching a commercial with a rock climber climbing....I have a question. Is there always a way up?

No. There are many dead climbers that could attest to that reality if they could talk. One lesson my best friend's father, one of the original Seattle Mountaineers climbing club and veteran of the WWII mountain climbing division made clear is that there is no shame in turning around and going back down. Besides, rappelling is fun.

I think more climbers have died rappelling than from any other single cause. Most climbing deaths are simple mistakes brought on by either fatigue or overconfidence.

That would NOT be my experience. I honestly believe training must enter the discussion somewhere. Rappelling is very simple compared with many other technical rock climbing maneuvers.

It's exactly as Bones said. Any person can rappel and sadly that is when complacency creeps in. I had to listen to a very advanced climber fall from El Capitan a couple of decades ago when he forgot to tie a knot in the end of the rope and it slipped through his fingers.

It is still the most chilling thing I have ever heard.

I have always enjoyed bouldering, free soloing, belaying, rappelling, etc...​

Belaying can be very easy or incredibly difficult. I would never let an inexperienced climber belay me. As I was taught the belay is the most important component in a climbing team. Estimating distances and one's own endurance can be challenging beyond one's own capacity to perform. I would venture to guess that many if not most rappelling accidents can be traced to a faulty belay.

I have always enjoyed bouldering, free soloing, belaying, rappelling, etc...​

Belaying can be very easy or incredibly difficult. I would never let an inexperienced climber belay me. As I was taught the belay is the most important component in a climbing team. Estimating distances and one's own endurance can be challenging beyond one's own capacity to perform. I would venture to guess that many if not most rappelling accidents can be traced to a faulty belay.

I have had an excellent teacher who has become one of my closest friends and most powerful allies. Someone who has been there through so much and at times been essential to my survival in countless life-threatening situations... not just climbing, but other things as well. He is the kind of person who I would trust with my life at any moment no matter what danger lies ahead. He possesses a wealth of knowledge and has taught me so much and continues to be a great source of inspiration and learning as well as friendship. This one person is the only human being alive who I would follow into anything.​

I live pretty close to Yosemite and have stopped and watched climbers on El Capitan many times. Yes large cahones is an understatement. Looking through binoculars at these tiny little black specs and you instantly get an idea how tall El Capitan is.

And that they anchor these tents up there and sleep on the face. I think these people are another species.

hubby did the gauley .....beast of the east.....you couldnt get me on a damn raft during the dam release
Never got the chance to do the Gauley, always wanted to. Heck the jump off point is in the middle of a class 3 rapid and it has a class 5+ "rapid" on it. :thup:

For those who don't know, this is a class 5- :

Class5blog.jpg

hubby did the gauley .....beast of the east.....you couldnt get me on a damn raft during the dam release
Never got the chance to do the Gauley, always wanted to. Heck the jump off point is in the middle of a class 3 rapid and it has a class 5+ "rapid" on it. :thup:

Class5blog.jpg
Never got the chance? There is no chance. It is all about money. I remember when I reached the top of the seven peeks. I was fourteen. If you can get yourself a sponsor go for it.

Class5blog.jpg
Never got the chance? There is no chance. It is all about money. I remember when I reached the top of the seven peeks. I was fourteen. If you can get yourself a sponsor go for it.
It's not just all about the money, it ultimately comes down to priorities, things in my life changed, plans changed, developed new "hobbies".

I have friends that are very into it. I could never get myself to try it. Id be way too scared.
Been spelunking a couple times. Only thing I didn't like was having to corkscrew this part in a cave.

Class5blog.jpg
It's not just all about the money, it ultimately comes down to priorities, things in my life changed, plans changed, developed new "hobbies".
No it is all about money.

Class5blog.jpg
No it is all about money.
If you insist....... :cool:

I live pretty close to Yosemite and have stopped and watched climbers on El Capitan many times. Yes large cahones is an understatement. Looking through binoculars at these tiny little black specs and you instantly get an idea how tall El Capitan is.

And that they anchor these tents up there and sleep on the face. I think these people are another species.

The first thousand feet through the wheat thins are pretty easy. It's when you get up around the 2800 foot mark that the holds get tough.

I did a lot of rock climbing when I lived in Colorado. Climbing established routes you KNOW there is a way up because it's been done before. If you're putting up new routes then it's often like trying to solve a puzzle. How do you get from point A to point B with what the rock is giving you. Also a word to the wise...it's generally easier to climb UP than it is to climb DOWN simply because descending it's hard to see what you're doing with your feet.

As for the "fun" in rappelling? It is rather enjoyable but even some very famous climbers like Lynn Hill and John Long were seriously injured because they improperly tied into a rope. Double check everything you tie and then double check your climbing partner.

Forum List

Back