a question for rock climbers?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I was watching a commercial with a rock climber climbing....I have a question. Is there always a way up?

I was watching a commercial with a rock climber climbing....I have a question. Is there always a way up?
With the right equipment, a lot of experience, and tremendous luck, probably. Where's there a will, there's a way. Unless a climber is stupid, I'm sure everything would be checked out in advance. Experienced climbers have a good idea of their chances before they climb.

I guess it's the free hand stuff that scares the crap out of me. I've done lots of stuff just for the thrill of it but that looks like complete insanity to me. But more power to folks who do it. Them are some cojones you guys got.

I always did free style eons ago as a young man in Colorado. Before you climb you study the route first and never climb free style on the north face, that's suicide.

Always. Sometimes you have to bore holes in the rock for anchors, but that is exceptionally rare. Most rock has cracks, or other imperfections that can be used. Now there is a sandstone in Utah, the Entrada I think it is, that is so friable (that means it comes apart super easy) that it is EXTREMELY difficult to maintain a handhold.

I always did free style eons ago as a young man in Colorado. Before you climb you study the route first and never climb free style on the north face, that's suicide.

Why is that?

my son did two routes....one named for me....one named for my best cat ...the next route is called 'dogs of war'
so when climbers around here meet me...they go....o you must be bones (sons' mom) and we heard about the cat and then they look at my dogs and shy away.....the route is named for a guides dog who got in a fight with another guides dog and took a beating....a new area opened and the service with the contract was one son was with.....so they cleaned and bolted in exchange for permission to climb....they hit that place like anything on steriods....putting up routes ...i told my son to do the guide book...seems another guide has climbed the rights on that...

my son did two routes....one named for me....one named for my best cat ...the next route is called 'dogs of war'
so when climbers around here meet me...they go....o you must be bones (sons' mom) and we heard about the cat and then they look at my dogs and shy away.....the route is named for a guides dog who got in a fight with another guides dog and took a beating....a new area opened and the service with the contract was one son was with.....so they cleaned and bolted in exchange for permission to climb....they hit that place like anything on steriods....putting up routes ...i told my son to do the guide book...seems another guide has climbed the rights on that...

I've done a few routes up in Alaska. Hard work, and cold. Really cold! And yeah, the north face is a killer!

No. There are many dead climbers that could attest to that reality if they could talk. One lesson my best friend's father, one of the original Seattle Mountaineers climbing club and veteran of the WWII mountain climbing division made clear is that there is no shame in turning around and going back down. Besides, rappelling is fun.

No. There are many dead climbers that could attest to that reality if they could talk. One lesson my best friend's father, one of the original Seattle Mountaineers climbing club and veteran of the WWII mountain climbing division made clear is that there is no shame in turning around and going back down. Besides, rappelling is fun.

I think more climbers have died rappelling than from any other single cause. Most climbing deaths are simple mistakes brought on by either fatigue or overconfidence.

I think more climbers have died rappelling than from any other single cause. Most climbing deaths are simple mistakes brought on by either fatigue or overconfidence.

That would NOT be my experience. I honestly believe training must enter the discussion somewhere. Rappelling is very simple compared with many other technical rock climbing maneuvers.

and that huggy is what fucks people up.....it an easy set up till someone forgets to tie into the damn ropes..or worse...your rope is shorter than the rappel....and getting into rappelling is easy and a lot of idiots try it....i love to rappel ....i was thinking of doing bridge day ...rappelling off the new river bridge...till i saw the massive gear needed...

New River Gorge Bridge Day Rappel and High Line October 17th 2015

now anyone can do it

and that huggy is what fucks people up.....it an easy set up till someone forgets to tie into the damn ropes..or worse...your rope is shorter than the rappel....and getting into rappelling is easy and a lot of idiots try it....i love to rappel ....i was thinking of doing bridge day ...rappelling off the new river bridge...till i saw the massive gear needed...

New River Gorge Bridge Day Rappel and High Line October 17th 2015

now anyone can do it
Saw the New River Gorge bridge many times, usually from below, it was the end point for whitewater rafting on the New.

Forum List

Back