A Question for Property Tax Payers . . .

Mr Natural

Platinum Member
Aug 23, 2009
When you make out your check for your property taxes, who do you make it out to?

The reason I'm asking is that in my town, we make out our checks to (Person's Name), Receiver of Taxes. So if the Receiver of Taxes name is Joe Blow, I would make out my check to Joe Blow, Receiver of Taxes.

This has always struck me as odd because what is to prevent a local slug like Joe Blow to take a check here and there that might not include his title and deposit it in his own account?

Call me paranoid if you want but our locals have never had a reputation for honesty.

Last edited:
My thing is more of 'if you own property' why do you have to pay a recurring tax on it? Isn't that akin to 'double jeopardy?'

City of ________. We also have a city income tax just like the state and Fed that we need to file.

Making it out to a persons name sounds weird.

When you make out your check for your property taxes, who do you make it out to?

The reason I'm asking is that in my town, we make out our checks to (Person's Name), Receiver of Taxes. So if the Receiver of Taxes name is Joe Blow, I would make out my check to Joe Blow, Receiver of Taxes.

This has always struck me as odd because what is to prevent a local slug like Joe Blow to take a check here and there that might not include his title and deposit it in his own account?

Call me paranoid if you want but our locals have never had a reputation for honesty.

Fuck if I know, it comes out of escrow.

Nothing is to stop him, except the government knows how much should be collected and when it sees its not there its going to wonder why. The taxpayer will likely get a bill saying they still owe it - then they bring their cleared check in and show they paid - and the gubment says "WTF Joe Blow, where's the $$$?

I certainly hope so.

What's the point of being Tax Collector then?

Illinois once had a sec. of state named Paul Powell. Anything to do with license plates, drivers licenses, etc., you made your check out to Paul Powell.

The guy lived in a hotel room in Springfield and after the scandal broke it was clear why he had them replace a normal closet door in his room with a steal one. Inside the closet was stacks of shoe boxes, all stuffed with cash. Lots and lots of cash.

Afterwards, checks were made out only to Secretary of State.

We do the same thing here, i.e. Check payable to "Person's name, xx County Treasurer". It's fairly common to do it that way. If you really don't trust your Treasurer you can always pay in person at the courthouse with a cashier's check or cash.

New Topics

Forum List

Back