A question for Muslims

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
What's up with not allowing pics of Mohammed? Seems to me that would fall under the classification of worshiping false idols...elevating Mo to the same (or higher) level as God...who doesn't seem to care if you display pictures of him.

What makes Mo so special, or so lame, that his picture cannot be displayed?

:eusa_eh:

One of the 10 Commandments in the Bible is "Thou shall have No graven images"

The Quran also has the same proibition.

It is just not Muhammad, but all pictures of anyone.

If you go into a Muslim home.

There are NO pictures or paintings of family members, people, animals, birds, etc.

Pictures of buildings, mountians, landscapes, etc, are allowed.

Islam is an artless religion.

I am not a religious man or even a believer in God but i appreciate the masterpieces that were inspired by religion. in fact some of the most meaningful engineering advances were a result of religion.

Islam does not seem to inspire but rather to repress man's need for creativity.

I am not a religious man or even a believer in God but i appreciate the masterpieces that were inspired by religion. in fact some of the most meaningful engineering advances were a result of religion.

Islam does not seem to inspire but rather to repress man's need for creativity.
Islamic creativity is centered on the architeture of the local mosque and the beautiful calligraphy that covers the walls.

The calligraphy is made up of complex geometric patterns and designs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z9GfbmKDzI]YouTube - Various Mosques all over the world, Mosques in JAPAN[/ame]

The language of the Quran is even more beautiful and intricate than the calligraphy that describes what the words convey.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z0g8k_HLaI]YouTube - Arabic Calligraphy[/ame]

There are NO pictures or paintings of family members, people, animals, birds, etc.

Only in Muslim homes that subscribe to those kinds of prohibitions. Not all Muslims are so rigid.

Only in Muslim homes that subscribe to those kinds of prohibitions. Not all Muslims are so rigid.
How many muslim homes have you been in?

No pictures is not being ridged in Islam.

It is just a basic prohibition

Much like the not eating of pork.

It's a tenant the defines someone as a muslim.

Several. You are typical of an overzealous convert. You try so hard to be a "good" Muslim that you take things to extremes that average Muslims who are comfortable in their faith would not go to.

There are many, many examples of depiction of people, animals and even Muhammad in Islamic art. Have you never seen a Mughul illustrated manuscript? Or calligraphy done in the shape of a bird or horse?
Depictions of Muhammad

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

A series of articles on

Prophet of Islam
Muhammad

The permissibility of depictions of Muhammad, the founder of Islam, has long been a concern in Islam's history. Oral and written descriptions are readily accepted by all traditions of Islam, but there is disagreement about visual depictions.[1][2]
The Qur'an does not explicitly forbid images of Muhammad, but there are a few hadith (supplemental traditions) which have explicitly prohibited Muslims from creating the visual depictions of figures under any circumstances. Most contemporary Sunni Muslims believe that visual depictions of the prophets generally should be prohibited, and they are particularly averse to visual representations of Muhammad.[3] The key concern is that the use of images can encourage idolatry, where the image becomes more important than what it represents. In Islamic art, some visual depictions only show Muhammad with his face veiled, or symbolically represent him as a flame; other images, notably from Persia of the Ilkhanate, and those made under the Ottomans, show him fully.[1]
Other Muslims have taken a more relaxed view. Most Shi'a scholars accept respectful depictions and use illustrations of Muhammad in books and architectural decoration, as have Sunnis at various points in the past.[4] However, many Muslims who take a stricter view of the supplemental traditions, will sometimes challenge any depiction of Muhammad, including those created and published by non-Muslims.[5]

Some major religions have had times in their history when images of their religious figures were forbidden. In Judaism, one of the Ten Commandments forbade "graven images." In Byzantine Christianity during the period of Iconoclasm (8th century, and again during the 9th century) visual representations were forbidden, and only the Cross could be depicted in churches. Even in modern times, there are disputes within different groups of Protestant Christians about the appropriateness of having religious icons of saints. The concern generally boils down to the concept of whether or not the image is becoming more important than what is being represented. [6] In Islam, although nothing in the Qu'ran explicitly bans images, there are some supplemental hadith which explicitly ban the drawing of images of any living creature; other hadith tolerate images, but never encourage them. Hence, visual depictions of Muhammad, or prophets such as Moses or Abraham, are avoided."

Depictions of Muhammad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

bullshit

Muzzyz don't allow pictures of people because the women are all scary ugly (thus the sheets over their heads), and the men think that they themselves look foolish with their itchy scratchy beards and the diaper on their head.
As for Mo, he never allowed pictures of himself because he was a wanted pedophile.

So no pictures of Mo because then people might get the idea that he was worshiped as a God. And that's why the fundie followers of Mo riot and kill if someone else displays a picture of Mo (but pictures of others are okay). IMO, that is worshiping him as a God.

I think the usual prohibition is against images of Mohamad, not of any person.

Of course there might be sects of Moslem which prohibit all images, but if Rosetta's statistics are any indication of what people in Moslem nations like and expose their children to, then the theory that all imagines are prohibited isn't supported by what Moslems are doing.

Rosetta is an ILLUSTRATED book site, folks.

It is mostly images, for goodness sakes, and it is one of the most popular websites in Syria, Suadi Arabia and Iran.

As is, incidently our closest competitor which is ALSO a site devoted to illustrated books.

I guess that depends what you define as art.

The music, sculpture, paintings, writing and architecture inspired by religion are some of the most magnificent works ever.

You just don't see that type of passionately inspired creativity in the Muslim world.

Copying the Koran and changing the squiggles in the margins can hardly be called art of the same magnitude as the Sistine chapel.

sistine%20chapel%20ceiling.gif

Last edited:
What's up with not allowing pics of Mohammed? Seems to me that would fall under the classification of worshiping false idols...elevating Mo to the same (or higher) level as God...who doesn't seem to care if you display pictures of him.

What makes Mo so special, or so lame, that his picture cannot be displayed?

:eusa_eh:

Icons are disallowed to limit the possibility of associating Muhammad or any human with God. I don't understand the fuss over non-Muslims depicting Muhammad; the rule doesn't apply to you so there's really nothing for us to be upset about.

The music, sculpture, paintings, writing and architecture inspired by religion are some of the most magnificent works ever.

You just don't see that type of passionately inspired creativity in the Muslim world.

The architecture of the Islamic world during its height was unparalleled by anything I've seen from similar periods in the West. Of course, it's all a matter of opinion.

The architecture of the Islamic world during its height was unparalleled by anything I've seen from similar periods in the West. Of course, it's all a matter of opinion.

I agree and at one time the Muslim world was very advanced in mathematics as well, but as Islam has spread the Muslim world has fallen behind the rest of the world in arts and sciences. I do not believe that correlation to be a coincidence.

I agree and at one time the Muslim world was very advanced in mathematics as well, but as Islam has spread the Muslim world has fallen behind the rest of the world in arts and sciences. I do not believe that correlation to be a coincidence.

You believe that the Islamic world would be more advanced if it was smaller and more isolated? I'm not sure that I know what you're saying...

I still do not get the engraven image forbearance.

Does that mean TV is forbidden, because human images are carved in light??

Also, does something need to be alive in order to be an idol or an engraved image of something holy? Mt Fuji is considered Sacred in Shinto, The Pyramids for the ancient Egyptians, are images of these things forbidden, or treated like regular mountains and stones.

Finally, is this just for the Prophet muhammed? There are images of muslim leaders, prominent citizens, and artistic recreations of Ancient Heros and rulers of the region like Giligamesh, Cyrus the Great and so forth.

You believe that the Islamic world would be more advanced if it was smaller and more isolated? I'm not sure that I know what you're saying...

I believe that the Muslim world would be more advanced, enlightened if you will, if the religion they choose to follow was not so repressive and the Islamic governments not so oppressive and all types of creativity and free thinking were encouraged not forbidden.

The iron fist of Islamic governments has reduced not enhanced that region of the world.

There was a time when Baghdad, and Beirut were compared to Paris as cultural centers of art, science and commerce. Certainly Islam and Islamic governments have had a hand in the demise of these once great cities.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back