A Question For Athiests

I have a curiousity question about Athiests. Does life end at the moment of death? Which means there is nothing after death.
What about ghosts, or spirits? Do you believe in them? I'm going at this as a non religion question, and sticking to what you believe in about the questions.
It doesn't matter what anyone believes, we are all going to the same place, wherever and whatever that is.

I have a curiousity question about Athiests. Does life end at the moment of death? Which means there is nothing after death.
What about ghosts, or spirits? Do you believe in them? I'm going at this as a non religion question, and sticking to what you believe in about the questions.
Yes, it ends. No ghosts or spirits.

Wow,
Old thread...
One would like to think our life experiences and information wouldn't simply erase at death.
Downloaded into a universal consciousness .
Does the universe even exist if no one can observe it? Is that our purpose, to simply record information as simple biological senses of a larger intelligence(consciousness)?

Existence would otherwise seem a waste of time if all that information is lost.

My gut belief is that there is more to our conscious ability that we haven't evolved the ability to tap into yet. That our definition of reality itself is flawed. That there is a connection of our minds to the universe and all matter.

Now that I read that again...
I think I quoted Obi-wan...:laugh:

Those that have children will see their genes live on, at least as long as their children live and if they have children themselves, so yes, there is 'life after death'. Nobody knows how much of of person's 'soul' is tied up in DNA; could be nearly all of it except for the most recent experiences imprints, or not. No one knows, and no one knows if conscienceless or self-awareness, once created, survives, either.

Yes life ends at the moment of death. Why would you think otherwise? Does life end when you kill a chicken? Or does it’s chicken spirit live on?

No ghosts. I had a guy kill himself across the hall. The next door neighbor dies and laid in her place for 3 days.

I sit in the hall and ask them to appear. They never do. That’s all in your mind.
Yes life ends at the moment of death.

physiology is a metaphysical substance and does not exist separately without life to sustain it, the continuance of life is separate from its physiological dependence and is destined by its metaphysical origin.

Those that have children will see their genes live on, at least as long as their children live and if they have children themselves, so yes, there is 'life after death'. Nobody knows how much of of person's 'soul' is tied up in DNA; could be nearly all of it except for the most recent experiences imprints, or not. No one knows, and no one knows if conscienceless or self-awareness, once created, survives, either.
The Dune series and Destination Void series by Frank Herbert, speculated on the possibility of resurrecting "memories" of an organism through cloning of humans in far future. He also explored the notion of a planet wide consciousness, that connected all life on the planet.
Pandora in Avatar was basically Pandora in the book The Jesus Incident.

Although just sci-fi entertainment, he was a writer that explored "consciousness" and self awareness.

We do tend to think in pure human terms also. How aware is a lower life form? They clearly demonstrate some intelligence, and emotional ability.

The Dune series and Destination Void series by Frank Herbert, speculated on the possibility of resurrecting "memories" of an organism through cloning of humans in far future. He also explored the notion of a planet wide consciousness, that connected all life on the planet.
Pandora in Avatar was basically Pandora in the book The Jesus Incident.

Although just sci-fi entertainment, he was a writer that explored "consciousness" and self awareness.

We do tend to think in pure human terms also. How aware is a lower life form? They clearly demonstrate some intelligence, and emotional ability.
He also explored the notion of a planet wide consciousness, that connected all life on the planet.

the functionality of evolution ... is proof of spiritual existence.

It doesn't matter what anyone believes, we are all going to the same place, wherever and whatever that is.
No we are not going to the same place. Remember it’s not the destination it’s the journey. So while you may be off to the dollar store to get your dinner I’m going to a steakhouse.

If you mean we will all eventually die you are correct but that destination is not the point. The point is the journey. Did you have fun? Quality of life? Are you happy? Enjoy because you only get one life.

Nothing tells me there is an afterlife. That’s ancient goat herder superstition and wishful thinking

Yes life ends at the moment of death. Why would you think otherwise? Does life end when you kill a chicken? Or does it’s chicken spirit live on?

No ghosts. I had a guy kill himself across the hall. The next door neighbor dies and laid in her place for 3 days.

I sit in the hall and ask them to appear. They never do. That’s all in your mind.

physiology is a metaphysical substance and does not exist separately without life to sustain it, the continuance of life is separate from its physiological dependence and is destined by its metaphysical origin.
In English

Does a crow have this? How about whales? Why does our superior intelligence qualify us for a soul? The Greeks used to think only great people went to heaven. Today people think only good people go to heaven. The people who made up god thought we thought with our hearts and felt with our brains

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. I see grieving people fall for the afterlife stories. Coping mechanism.

Does a crow have this? How about whales? Why does our superior intelligence qualify us for a soul? The Greeks used to think only great people went to heaven. Today people think only good people go to heaven. The people who made up god thought we thought with our hearts and felt with our brains

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. I see grieving people fall for the afterlife stories. Coping mechanism.
Does a crow have this? How about whales? Why does our superior intelligence qualify us for a soul?

upload_2018-10-28_15-49-11.jpeg

what in your response has anything to do with what you were quoting ... all beings on planet earth have physiology of one type or another, flora and fauna the physiology only exists where life, its spirit is present.

or do you see undefined biology just laying on the ground.

I bounce between agnosticism, and atheism. Without proof to the contrary... What’s the difference really? If a “God” presented himself indisputably to an atheist; would he not then believe? So for me it’s a difference without distinction.
As to “Ghosts”? No. I don’t believe in them. Never seen one. Never heard a credible account from one who has. Despite having had unexplained events happen to me. I just accept that coincidences do happen. Or some things I may never know. And I’m okay with that...

OK Mr. Meister....

Life begins when you have your first conscious thought. It ends when you have your last conscious thought.

Ghosts, goblins...not likely but having run hard into something that wasn't there playing basketball by myself as a teen schooled me that seeing isn't everything and there are still mysteries to unfold in the future.
I’m not sure consciousness is mandatory for “life” trees have no brains, or nervous systems. As such they can have no consciousness as we know it. Yet they are in fact alive. The same with “brain dead” humans. They’re alive. Yet have no consciousness.

OK Mr. Meister....

Life begins when you have your first conscious thought. It ends when you have your last conscious thought.

Ghosts, goblins...not likely but having run hard into something that wasn't there playing basketball by myself as a teen schooled me that seeing isn't everything and there are still mysteries to unfold in the future.
I’m not sure consciousness is mandatory for “life” trees have no brains, or nervous systems. As such they can have no consciousness as we know it. Yet they are in fact alive. The same with “brain dead” humans. They’re alive. Yet have no consciousness.
"Some people think that plants respond to talking, the playing of music, and other forms of human attention. And although plants more than likely do not process human language, they are nonetheless highly aware of their surroundings and are very capable of communication among their cells. Furthermore, some scientists think that a plant's internal communication system is very close to what we could legitimately call a nervous system..."

Do Plants Have Brains? | Natural History Magazine

Does a crow have this? How about whales? Why does our superior intelligence qualify us for a soul?

View attachment 225380

what in your response has anything to do with what you were quoting ... all beings on planet earth have physiology of one type or another, flora and fauna the physiology only exists where life, its spirit is present.

or do you see undefined biology just laying on the ground.
I had to decipher what I thought you said. I was off? Oh well I tried.

And the spirit only exists when the life is present right? The body dies so does the spirit.

Maybe the planets stars and moons are gods chosen children and we’re just the organisms living on her children. Planets live a lot longer than us. They are greater than ourselves. They should be worshipped.

Maybe not moons. They don’t get to go to heaven. That’s what planets think.

The body dies so does the spirit.

physiology disappears when the life is removed from it - that much is certain. do you fell you are deteriorating the same as your body, that is not the case with everyone there is an indicative distinction between the two. such as setting the spirit free. for some, those few in triumph.

physiology disappears when the life is removed from it - that much is certain. do you fell you are deteriorating the same as your body, that is not the case with everyone there is an indicative distinction between the two. such as setting the spirit free. for some, those few in triumph.
Really because as the body gets old the mind gets dimentia

Really because as the body gets old the mind gets dimentia
good luck sealy if that is your destiny, dementia. for others the opposite is the case metaphysically pure of mind and that could include who may have a physical ailment that would only disguise their true destination.

Forum List

Back