A Question for all Religious posters

bodecea

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Will.Trade.Racists.For.Refugees
I've been listening to many posters and radio personalities point out the Fort Hood shooter's comments about how he takes his religion and Allah over his Constitutional Oath and this country. It's presented as proof that the shooter was a traitor and a terrorist waiting to go off.

It got me wondering....how many religious posters take their god and their religion over love of this country? If you do, does that make you a potential terrorist for your religion?

I've been listening to many posters and radio personalities point out the Fort Hood shooter's comments about how he takes his religion and Allah over his Constitutional Oath and this country. It's presented as proof that the shooter was a traitor and a terrorist waiting to go off.

It got me wondering....how many religious posters take their god and their religion over love of this country? If you do, does that make you a potential terrorist for your religion?

It all depends on whether the person(s) in question are radicalized by their belief, regardless of religion or lack thereof.
Hell, I love my wife more than I love my country, could that make me a potential terrorist for my family?

God comes first, then country. The problem isn't that he took "Allah over country", its that his religion demanded he commit treason.

Also, there is a difference between a religious person taking an oath to protect this country and just being a religious citizen who loves both God and country.

• Banned
God comes first, then country. The problem isn't that he took "Allah over country", its that his religion demanded he commit treason.

Also, there is a difference between a religious person taking an oath to protect this country and just being a religious citizen who loves both God and country.

I hear what you are saying, however that distinction is NOT being made. I hear over and over again that the Shooter (can't remember his name this moment) stated on more than one occasion that Allah came before this country. How can that be a different statement than saying that God comes before this country?

Awesome question Bodecea. Its one I can't really answer 100% for you as I dont follow any religion, I just believe in a higher power and Karma.

That being said I would put what i feel are my karmic obligations to my fellow man above my love of country.

I'm also not saying that the fort hood guy did it because he was a Muslim as part of some "muslim conspiracy" against america. I think that line of thinking is wrong...the guy was a psycho, who was muslim, and couldn't handle being a muslim and a soldier.

As the Marines say: Unit, Core, God, Country

Last edited:

For me, it doesn't mean any choice needs to be made at all as the Constitution is perfectly in line with my sparse religious beliefs but more importantly with God as I know Him. When my country goes against the Constitution, I owe no more loyalty to it, in fact it's my oath, so help me God. So, country in line with the Constitution comes first, religion is not even in the same race for me, and God is right there neck and neck with country.

• Banned

Awesome question Bodecea. Its one I can't really answer 100% for you as I dont follow any religion, I just believe in a higher power and Karma.

That being said I would put what i feel are my karmic obligations to my fellow man above my love of country.

I'm also not saying that the fort hood guy did it because he was a Muslim as part of some "muslim conspiracy" against america. I think that line of thinking is wrong...the guy was a psycho, who was muslim, and couldn't handle being a muslim and a soldier.

Good point. Made have made him go off the deep end with the perceived contradictions.

Good observation and response. One helpful hint if you don't mind. Core is spelled Corps.

not unless they act like your guy's bestest bud bill ayers and try to blow innocent people to smithereens.. now would it?

if you're religious and you don't put god ahead of the country, that's a very weak sense of religiousness. Christianity is explicit about having a loyalty for god ahead of that of country. In many cases, you can make the argument that worshiping your nation-state is a very substantial form for idolatry.

However, most religions teach that killing people is absolutely forbidden. Usually in the military the issue is that you'd be killing against your will and would rather listen to your religious beliefs than your duties to your nation. Shooting innocents randomly is an insult to both your country and god.

Yes, my duty to God supersedes my duty to my country.

And I have a small amount of sympathy for Major Hasan.

A similar situation would arise asking a Jewish soldier to fight a war against Israel or a Catholic to storm Vatican City.

But, if I was forced by religious conviction to abandon my oath to serve my country, I would be duty bound to suffer the consequences of that decision.

I don't think it matters with everyday people...but people joining the military, the FBI, the CIA, etc...should have their first loyalty be their country. If they can't manage that, they shouldn't be let in.

Good observation and response. One helpful hint if you don't mind. Core is spelled Corps.

Oh snap!

not unless they act like your guy's bestest bud bill ayers and try to blow innocent people to smithereens.. now would it?

??????

I don't think it matters with everyday people...but people joining the military, the FBI, the CIA, etc...should have their first loyalty be their country. If they can't manage that, they shouldn't be let in.
Actually, that first loyalty is to our Constitution, so help them God - so they've promised God (as each knows Him) to do just that. If the country goes against the Constitution ("foreign and domestic"), they can go against the country.

(Yes, atheists can opt out of that phrase in an oath.)

And speaking of oaths and off-topic, I feel the same way about physicians who do the same - break their oath for religious reasons. Don't take the oath (and in cases where you swear to your god) if you can't keep it. It seems quite simple to me.

Interesting. I have read before that a lot of our FBI agents are Mormons...and have a network within the FBI of mormonism. Could that be something that could cause concern in the future?

Oh snap!

Not trying to start a fight but I work with a marine and he told me "its marine corps but in the statement Unit, Core, God, Country they say Core not corp.

I'm not a marine so i take his word on it :).

Ok back to this cool topic ;)

That's where we differ. Country comes first for me since mysticism and the supernatural don't exist in my world view, but obviously, my country does.

Are you talking about Christian Right Wing terrorist Timothy McVeigh? How many did he actually kill?

Forum List

Back