A Question About What Makes a Nation a Nation.

Would this island nation still be Sri Lanka?

• Yes, the island is still named Sri Lanka

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the people of Sri Lanka would be gone, and the new folks would redefine who they are.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • I dont care; would they by my products?

• I dunno

• Total voters

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Suppose we waved a magic wand and all people living in Sri Lanka were magically transported to a happy place in Australia, but meanwhile the wand also populated the island with 4 million people from England.

Would the nation still be Sri Lanka or an extension of England now?

You'd have to wait a couple generations at least, time for the locals and to mix and mate with the wand people. If the offspring turn out to have decent teeth, the Lankas win. If not, the Brits rule.

Hmm, OK, let me repeat, the native Sri Lanka people are all gone, population of Sri Lanka is ZERO, then 4 million Englishman are brought in.

Is it still Sri Lanka or an extension of England now?

Suppose we waved a magic wand and all people living in Sri Lanka were magically transported to a happy place in Australia, but meanwhile the wand also populated the island with 4 million people from England.

You don't have to imagine, see Hawaii.

What a smart ass answer. There are still Hawaiians on Hawaii, dude.

You'd have to wait a couple generations at least, time for the locals and to mix and mate with the wand people. If the offspring turn out to have decent teeth, the Lankas win. If not, the Brits rule.

Hmm, OK, let me repeat, the native Sri Lanka people are all gone, population of Sri Lanka is ZERO, then 4 million Englishman are brought in.

Is it still Sri Lanka or an extension of England now?
If that happened in real life, the world would figure out a way to get everyone back to their appropriate nation. It would not belong to England.

What a smart ass answer. There are still Hawaiians on Hawaii, dude.

Well it wasn't meant as a smart ass answer. The answer is if all the people on the island are English then England would assumably annex the island, or if they didn't then it would remain Sri Lankan. Maybe the question is a little nebulous.

Forum List

Back