A question about the Trade War/dispute with China

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017
What does China have to agree to, in your opinion, for the current war/dispute with China to be considered a win for America and worth the damage caused?

Just a few specific things you think have to be part of the final package.

Significantly reducing the $500b trade deficit is another must have.
Stopping fentanyl shipments is another
Stop subsidizing steel and aluminum production and dumping them here hurting US producers
Stop China's currency manipulation
Stop China's surveillance network, such as by Huawei

Stop subsidizing steel and aluminum production and dumping them here hurting US producers

Do they all have to happen for you to consider the trade war a win?

I don’t see why we shouldn’t fight for all of it. We’re still the worlds largest economy and most advanced military. Why we would ever let that country screw us over for this long is beyond me. No one has ever had the balls the stand up to them and hold pat on it so let’s just see exactly how much we can get out of these bastards. They’ve made us believe for too long that we need them more than they need us and that’s not true. We’re still the worlds biggest consumer and they need us.

I don’t see why we shouldn’t fight for all of it. We’re still the worlds largest economy and most advanced military. Why we would ever let that country screw us over for this long is beyond me. No one has ever had the balls the stand up to them and hold pat on it so let’s just see exactly how much we can get out of these bastards. They’ve made us believe for too long that we need them more than they need us and that’s not true. We’re still the worlds biggest consumer and they need us.

so, in your mind it is all or nothing?

We get it all or we failed?

What does China have to agree to, in your opinion, for the current war/dispute with China to be considered a win for America and worth the damage caused?

Just a few specific things you think have to be part of the final package.

the theft of intellectual property is a big problem for me, the rest is just crony capitalism

Add intentionally dumping product under cost on U.S. markets to damage/destroy U.S. manufacturers.

I wouldn’t call it a failure especially if we were to get something done about them stealing our IP, but it would be disappointing. I don’t think we have to settle for less though. I think China will give it up, because if they don’t they’re going to watch quite a lot of American companies part ways with them. They’re already seeing it. They can only devalue their currency so far. They’re running out of responses and trump isn’t backing down. They’re going to have to compromise one way or another.

There are documented cases where China acquires a U.S. product, disassembles, and uses the components to cast molds they use in manufacturing blatant knock offs.

Its not just the U.S. battling China on unfair trade. Japanese companies have been fighting China over their blatant counterfeits of Japanese products flooding the market and damaging their brands with these cheaply constructed counterfeits.

Well, there are the two main moving parts: Intellectual property theft and individual tariffs, and I don't know how the hell we're supposed to police the theft. How do you "trust but verify" something like that? Some kind of international penalty or sanctions if they're caught?

The markets will explode when the deal is done, whenever that happens. But then we'll need to dig down and see what's under the hood, and the markets may or may not like what they see there.

-------------------------------------- no , to me Paulie is just saying go for everything with No Mercy or friendship and see what we can get GGator .

Many people complain about how China has weaponized their economy but that is exactly why they can wait out a Trump presidency before they do anything. We will see no significant action on their part while Trump is President.

The "trade deficit" is misleading and should not be a stand-alone factor.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

And, Huawei is a terrible organization. The Labor Department has been on them for years now.

Many people complain about how China has weaponized their economy but that is exactly why they can wait out a Trump presidency before they do anything. We will see no significant action on their part while Trump is President.
So, should he just give up?

What do you think should happen?

I, for one, believe we should get support from other nations who have seen China's bullshit.

I, for one, believe we should get support from other nations who have seen China's bullshit.

That would have been a great way to go. But instead we pissed off most other nations. Can you imagine how quickly China would have caved had the US and the EU joined together against China? But instead Trump goes after both at the same time.

That would have been a great way to go. But instead we pissed off most other nations. Can you imagine how quickly China would have caved had the US and the EU joined together against China? But instead Trump goes after both at the same time.
The EU would never allied with the U.S. They are our direct competitor. Instead, we need to focus on individual nations. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Forum List

Back