A question about the Obama win

Discussion in 'Politics' started by blackhawk, Nov 7, 2012.

1. blackhawk

blackhawk Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,099
    First I'm not taking anything away from the Obama win not griping complaining or questioning it my question about it is this was it based more on support of his policies or his own personal popularity? I asked this because there was no major shift in the House for the Democrats and only a slight shift for them in the Senate basically the balance of power is right where it was after the 2010 midterms it seems to me if there was major support for Obama's policies you would have seen more off a shift in the Democrats favor in the House and Senate.

2. Moonglow

Moonglow Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,592
    that remains to be seen in the 2014 House elections.

3. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    lol, so this time don't count?

The American people just very Clearly voted for the Status Quo.

Which was, Nothing at all getting done by either side.

It's insane, but that is what they voted for.

4. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194

I agree with that. I think Obama won because he did a good job demagoguing Romney, and Romney didn't respond well enough to it. I think Romney played it too safe, no sizzle at the end, only fizzle. And the GOP totally misplayed the Hispanic vote IMHO. And one more thing - Obama won because he's African American; with that record I don't think a white guy would've made it.

5. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Playing the race card ,is getting old. Seriously, get over it.

He ran a better campaign than Romney, and in the end voters said they felt Obama was their candidate, and Romney was for the rich. I don't think actual policy had a lot to do with the decision.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. blackhawk

blackhawk Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,099
    That is the part that surprised me the most the House and Senate basically staying the same I don't know maybe people figure Government doing nothing is the best thing that could happen.

7. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    But the Tea Party influence got chipped away a bit more...increasing the possibility of reasonableness and compromise.

8. oldfart

oldfart Older than dirt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +527
    OK, I'll try to give a straight answer. The House resultsd are driven by the fact that republicans controlled an unusually large number of state legislators following the 2010 election and thus controlled redistricting. Any political scientist worth his salt predicted a Republican shift of 30--35 seats based on redistricting. By a quirk of numbers this turned out to be almost exactly the same magnitude as the Democratic advantage based on changed demographics between 2008 and 2012 and the better Democratic campaign performance. Also a few seats were lost by Republicans because of overreaching on a radical agenda (although this was more apparent in the Senate races in Indiana and Missouri). In Florida for example, Alan West lost his seat and Alan Grayson regained his.

Not many people have noticed yet that the Democratic Senate has lost most of the "conservative" Democrats while some of the newly elected senators are younger, more progressive, and far more combative than the senators they replace (Heitkamp, Warren, Murphy, and Baldwin come to mind). The big winner of the night was Patty Murray the DSCC chair who essentially did the impossible by almost running the table, defending l 23 Democrat senate seats at risk, including seats of seven retiring senators, and only losing Nebraska. So the Senate shifted sigificantly leftward, but mostly at the expense of conservative Democrats.

So Democratic politicos feel pretty good right now abut 2014 and 2016. There seems to be no indication that the conservative movement intends to re-evaluate its course of self-destruction. It goes out of its way to alienate Hispanics, blacks, Asians, women, and the LGBTQ community and everyone who does not buy into their movement. Demographics run against the Republican Party if it can't adapt. But they are taking the sure road to extinction; doubling down on dumb.

Keep it up Tea Party. Keep insulting and antagonizing the people you need to win elections rather than trying to persuade them. No need to change when you have such a winning formula. Trash Nate Silver and pillory the pollsters. All they did was tell the truth about what their numbers were saying. Blame everyone else. Remember God is on your side in a Holy War. Never forget; God, guns, and gays. Keep it up.

And when you see me smiling, remember the dictum of Sun Tzu, "Never interfere with an enemy in the process of destroying himself."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  9. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,872
    In Washingtom extremism is not just wanting to pass budget, which they are required to do by law, it is wanting to balance a budget or two.

10. blackhawk

blackhawk Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,099
    There has been no compromise for four years now Obama and the left showed no interest in it for the first two years of his term that was one of the main reasons for the rise of the tea party ther was no comprise by either side after the midterms and I really don't see anything changing.