A Question about Global Warming:

Plus some of you are getting so hysterical over this, can you explain why?

Why is it a right wing/left wing thing?
Perhaps because leftists naturally gravitate toward doom-and-gloom stories and anything that involves increases in authoritarian central control. I can't speak for the righties, as I'm a libertarian.

I used to be one of the cargo cult until the early '90s, when I started asking questions about research that debunkers had been doing. For doing so, my former "friends" treated me as though I was a Catholic who had spent Sunday morning mass time with wiccans.

Since that time, I've become interested in linguistics and semantics, and found the language of the warmist cult to be deceptive at the low end and outright fraudulent at the high. Moreover, history is littered with the intellectual corpses of doom-and-gloomers like Malthus, JK Galbraith and Paul Erlich, not to mention public scare campaigns like the Red Scare and Y2K.

Simply put, the warmist cult has so many problems in logic on so many levels so that they are incredible.

I've been trying to read some of the threads, it's hard to get through all the garbage of the flaming on there, but so far I think this is the best post I've seen on the subject by Navy1960:

There is no real dispute that weather data from cities, as collected by meteorological stations, is contaminated by urban heat island (UHI) bias, and that this has to be removed to identify climatic changes or trends. In cities, vertical walls, steel and concrete absorb the sun’s heat and are slow to cool at night. More and more of the world is urbanized (population increased from 1.5 B to 6 B in 1900s).
The UHI effect occurs not only for big cities but also for towns. Oke (who won the 2008 American Meteorological Society’s Helmut Landsberg award for his pioneer work on urbanization) had a formula for the warming that is tied to population. Oke (1973) found that the UHI (in °C) increases according to the formula

GISS uses in the USA, southern Canada and northern Mexico an urbanization adjustment based on the amount of night time light measured by satellites from the station locations. Unlit stations are classified as rural stations. This does produce some adjustment and a reasonable plot of temperatures but as GISS notes, this is just less than 2% of the globe.”
The difference from their adjusted values and the NOAA no longer adjusted shows NOAA was misguided in their removal of the urban adjustment, with a net cooling of 0.2F in 1930s and warming of 0.4F near 2005. NOAA data adjusted to the GISS base period of 1951-1980.

The net warming in the UHI adjusted GISS US data set from the peak around 1930 to the peak near 2000 was a meager 0.15C. It may be assumed the same would be true for the world if we could make a similar needed UHI adjustment.
http://icecap.us/images/uploads/US_A...EMP_ISSUES.pdf

Joseph D’Aleo was the first Director of Meteorology at the cable TV Weather Channel. He has over 30 years experience in professional meteorology. Mr. D’Aleo was Chief Meteorologist at Weather Services International Corporation and Senior Editor of “Dr. Dewpoint” for WSI’s popular Intellicast.com web site. He is a former college professor of Meteorology at Lyndon State College. He has authored and presented a number of papers as well as published a book focused on advanced applications enabled by new technologies and how research into ENSO and other atmospheric and oceanic phenomena has made skillful seasonal forecasts possible. Mr. D’Aleo has also authored many articles and made numerous presentations on the roles cycles in the sun and oceans have played in climate change.

Mr. D’Aleo is a Certified Consultant Meteorologist and was elected a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society (AMS). He has served as a member and then chairman of the American Meteorological Society’ Committee on Weather Analysis and Forecasting, and has co-chaired national conferences for both the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association. Mr. D’Aleo was elected a Councilor for the AMS.

Joseph D’Aleo is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin BS, MS and was in the doctoral program at NYU.

Mr. D’Aleo’s areas of expertise include climatology, natural factors involved in climate change, weather and climate prediction, and North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO).

Dr. Robert C. Balling Jr. is a professor in the climatology program at Arizona State University, specializing in climate change and the greenhouse effect. Balling has been a climate consultant to the United Nations Environment Program, the World Climate Program, the World Meteorological Organization, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. In addition, Dr. Balling authored The Heated Debate: Greenhouse Predictions Versus Climate Reality. He is also co-author of the book Satanic Gases with Pat Michaels.
ICECAP

While the debate rages, perhaps there are a few out there that do have the ability to call into question this so called consensus and still have the ability to debate their peers on a professional level.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I've been trying to read some of the threads, it's hard to get through all the garbage of the flaming on there, but so far I think this is the best post I've seen on the subject by Navy1960:

There is no real dispute that weather data from cities, as collected by meteorological stations, is contaminated by urban heat island (UHI) bias, and that this has to be removed to identify climatic changes or trends. In cities, vertical walls, steel and concrete absorb the sun’s heat and are slow to cool at night. More and more of the world is urbanized (population increased from 1.5 B to 6 B in 1900s).
The UHI effect occurs not only for big cities but also for towns. Oke (who won the 2008 American Meteorological Society’s Helmut Landsberg award for his pioneer work on urbanization) had a formula for the warming that is tied to population. Oke (1973) found that the UHI (in °C) increases according to the formula

GISS uses in the USA, southern Canada and northern Mexico an urbanization adjustment based on the amount of night time light measured by satellites from the station locations. Unlit stations are classified as rural stations. This does produce some adjustment and a reasonable plot of temperatures but as GISS notes, this is just less than 2% of the globe.”
The difference from their adjusted values and the NOAA no longer adjusted shows NOAA was misguided in their removal of the urban adjustment, with a net cooling of 0.2F in 1930s and warming of 0.4F near 2005. NOAA data adjusted to the GISS base period of 1951-1980.

The net warming in the UHI adjusted GISS US data set from the peak around 1930 to the peak near 2000 was a meager 0.15C. It may be assumed the same would be true for the world if we could make a similar needed UHI adjustment.
http://icecap.us/images/uploads/US_A...EMP_ISSUES.pdf

Joseph D’Aleo was the first Director of Meteorology at the cable TV Weather Channel. He has over 30 years experience in professional meteorology. Mr. D’Aleo was Chief Meteorologist at Weather Services International Corporation and Senior Editor of “Dr. Dewpoint” for WSI’s popular Intellicast.com web site. He is a former college professor of Meteorology at Lyndon State College. He has authored and presented a number of papers as well as published a book focused on advanced applications enabled by new technologies and how research into ENSO and other atmospheric and oceanic phenomena has made skillful seasonal forecasts possible. Mr. D’Aleo has also authored many articles and made numerous presentations on the roles cycles in the sun and oceans have played in climate change.

Mr. D’Aleo is a Certified Consultant Meteorologist and was elected a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society (AMS). He has served as a member and then chairman of the American Meteorological Society’ Committee on Weather Analysis and Forecasting, and has co-chaired national conferences for both the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association. Mr. D’Aleo was elected a Councilor for the AMS.

Joseph D’Aleo is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin BS, MS and was in the doctoral program at NYU.

Mr. D’Aleo’s areas of expertise include climatology, natural factors involved in climate change, weather and climate prediction, and North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO).

Dr. Robert C. Balling Jr. is a professor in the climatology program at Arizona State University, specializing in climate change and the greenhouse effect. Balling has been a climate consultant to the United Nations Environment Program, the World Climate Program, the World Meteorological Organization, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. In addition, Dr. Balling authored The Heated Debate: Greenhouse Predictions Versus Climate Reality. He is also co-author of the book Satanic Gases with Pat Michaels.
ICECAP

While the debate rages, perhaps there are a few out there that do have the ability to call into question this so called consensus and still have the ability to debate their peers on a professional level.
If the dilettantes were not given the impression that they can play at science by following the example of Al Gore, I do believe that this never would have even gotten to the point where scientists would sell out their integrity for politics.

The climate science is so soiled at this point by politics. It has been for years now.

Plus some of you are getting so hysterical over this, can you explain why?

I don't consider myself hysterical over the issue, but Cap and Trade could push me in that direction. That and the sheer lunacy of global warming supporters. These people are counting cow and sheep farts for heaven's sake.

I don't consider myself hysterical over the issue, but Cap and Trade could push me in that direction. That and the sheer lunacy of glabal warming supporters. These people are counting cow and sheep farts for heaven's sake.

And what about the sheer lunacy of some of the deniers? I think grouping a lot of people and what is a great deal of scientists into a group that are "loons" is incorrect.

What I think you are referring to is the wingnuts of the side.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo[/ame]

I don't consider myself hysterical over the issue, but Cap and Trade could push me in that direction. That and the sheer lunacy of glabal warming supporters. These people are counting cow and sheep farts for heaven's sake.

And what about the sheer lunacy of some of the deniers? I think grouping a lot of people and what is a great deal of scientists into a group that are "loons" is incorrect.

What I think you are referring to is the wingnuts of the side.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo[/ame]
What are 'deniers' denying? And who are these 'deniers'?

Although manmade Global Warming may or may not be essentially proven, some of the theories that come forth about how it must be fake is astounding.

Large Government Conspiracy that is out to enslave the American People to a way of life to better control them. It's like reading some of the stuff out of Terral or Eots. That is the wingnuts on the other side really.

What are 'deniers' denying? And who are these 'deniers'?

People whom deny that manmade Global Warming exists. There is a difference between thinking it doesn't exist and going all out in your theories about it like some.

I believe that humans of course have an effect on the planet and pollution is harmful but I also think the planet goes through natural cycles of cooling and warming, and there is nothing we can do about it.
I do hate SUV's but only because a soccer mom doesn't need a Hummer to drive her kids to practice, a van would do the job plus I have a small car and when I am turning left they stupid idiots who drive them always block my view. I know they can see just fine in their big ass car if they just stopped a few feet back.

Fuck off, boy.

What's your problem? I never named names or was referring to anyone. If you got a guilty conscience however, feel free to share with the rest of us.

Though if I may make a suggestion, some anger management classes? I'll even chip in and help you get some as a Christmas present. Tis the season and all.

I believe that humans of course have an effect on the planet and pollution is harmful but I also think the planet goes through natural cycles of cooling and warming, and there is nothing we can do about it.
I do hate SUV's but only because a soccer mom doesn't need a Hummer to drive her kids to practice, a van would do the job plus I have a small car and when I am turning left they stupid idiots who drive them always block my view. I know they can see just fine in their big ass car if they just stopped a few feet back.

Hummers are more of a issue than beyond the environment. They are one of the main things wrong with the American auto industry today and one of the reasons why they are in their current situation.

Although manmade Global Warming may or may not be essentially proven, some of the theories that come forth about how it must be fake is astounding.

Large Government Conspiracy that is out to enslave the American People to a way of life to better control them. It's like reading some of the stuff out of Terral or Eots. That is the wingnuts on the other side really.

You don't think paying high high taxes is a form of enslavement? You is nuts!

You don't think paying high high taxes is a form of enslavement? You is nuts!

So Americans were enslaved since taxes were put into place until the 60's?

Because the tax rate for the rich for many decades was 90%. They're paying 39% now.

The issue of taxes is a whole different one from this.

Forum List

Back