A Question About Burning CD-R's...

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I'm having a problem now burning audio CD's with my Windows Media Player 10. It doesn't appear to be a software problem, my suspicion is my CD-R drive is shot, but this is what it does, it gets practically all the way through a burn and then quits, and then it tells me, "WMP was not able to burn all files to CD, it has reduced burn speed to correct this problem, insert another blank disc and try again". Bologna. The stupid thing has ruined to many discs already. I've tried every darn burn speed including auto select, and it does the same thing. It even says it reduced the burn speed when it's on 1X speed and can't get any slower! It's got me real ticked off. I like to download music from the internet and then burn it to CD. It's way cheap, fast and hassle free. Has anyone had a similiar burn problem, and what did you do to solve it? Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

I've been looking at external drives. I think I'm going to buy a Sony DRU-720UL drive. It burns practically every known format including dual layer discs and CD's. I found one on ebay for less than a hundred bucks.

Mr. P said:
Pale, check this site before you buy another drive..it may just be software..
http://komando.master.com/texis/master/search/?s=SS&q=cd+burn
Here's the link to the main site..
http://www.komando.com/index.asp

Thanks Mr. P, I checked it out, but my problem is a little different from what was there. I also checked out HP support, and since my computer is more than two years old, they now want money for tech support. Screw 'em.

I've been wanting to download and burn movies as well as music for awhile now, so I've been looking at external drives. I've kind of settled on the new Sony DRU-720UL. It pretty much does it all, and the price is right, not to mention I have and do own other Sony stuff, and I couldn't be happier with Sony's quality.

Do you have any software specifically made for burning CDs? Windows Media Player is not the best software with which to create CDs. Using Click-n-Burn or another software can improve your success rate. It sounds like you are having a hardware issue to me, if it is waiting until the end then dying it is either stopping on the TOS or when closing the session, either way it "feels" like a hardware issue to me. When was the last time you cleaned the CDR?

Pale Rider said:
Thanks Mr. P, I checked it out, but my problem is a little different from what was there. I also checked out HP support, and since my computer is more than two years old, they now want money for tech support. Screw 'em.

I've been wanting to download and burn movies as well as music for awhile now, so I've been looking at external drives. I've kind of settled on the new Sony DRU-720UL. It pretty much does it all, and the price is right, not to mention I have and do own other Sony stuff, and I couldn't be happier with Sony's quality.
I really think it's software..It's easy to check, go here and download this free-be
and give it 1 try..
http://www.komando.com/shareware_show.asp?showID=8817

Or, you can always un-install the Windows Media Player and re-install it.

no1tovote4 said:
Do you have any software specifically made for burning CDs? Windows Media Player is not the best software with which to create CDs. Using Click-n-Burn or another software can improve your success rate. It sounds like you are having a hardware issue to me, if it is waiting until the end then dying it is either stopping on the TOS or when closing the session, either way it "feels" like a hardware issue to me. When was the last time you cleaned the CDR?

I not long ago downloaded and updated my Windows Media Player to version 10. It was starting to do the same thing with WMP 9.

I burned a data disc, and it sailed right through it, so I'm going to give the CD burning software that Mr. P suggests off Kim Kommando's web page a try and see what happens.

Mr. P said:
I really think it's software..It's easy to check, go here and download this free-be
and give it 1 try..
http://www.komando.com/shareware_show.asp?showID=8817

Or, you can always un-install the Windows Media Player and re-install it.

I appreciate you being so helpful Mr. P, but that program there was WinRar shareware, and it was a trial version that you had to pay for later. I'm real leary of installing things like that, because even when you uninstall them, sometimes they leave shit behind that you just can't get rid of.

Windows Media Player used to burn discs just fine. I cleaned the drive once not long ago. Maybe I'll clean it one more time and try it again... and possibly RUIN another disc at buck a pop.

I was so mad at this damn thing yesterday I could have taken it out in the parking lot, smash it with a sledge hammer and drove over it with my 4X4... :mad:

Pale Rider said:
I appreciate you being so helpful Mr. P, but that program there was WinRar shareware, and it was a trial version that you had to pay for later. I'm real leary of installing things like that, because even when you uninstall them, sometimes they leave shit behind that you just can't get rid of.

Windows Media Player used to burn discs just fine. I cleaned the drive once not long ago. Maybe I'll clean it one more time and try it again... and possibly RUIN another disc at buck a pop.

I was so mad at this damn thing yesterday I could have taken it out in the parking lot, smash it with a sledge hammer and drove over it with my 4X4... :mad:
We'll figure it out..Check around some more on shareware..I will too..

PS..if you got a data copy your drive is okay..

You might want to uninstall the WMP and reinstall it. It sounds like you have a corrupted .dll file that passed from the v. 9.0 to the newer version. In order to get that worked out uninstall and reinstall would probably do it. You may need to get Norton's Systemworks if that is not working. Corrupted .dll files that are shared don't always delete themselves when uninstalling software.

Do you have this issue with other programs?

And lastly have you tried WinAmp?

no1tovote4 said:
You might want to uninstall the WMP and reinstall it. It sounds like you have a corrupted .dll file that passed from the v. 9.0 to the newer version. In order to get that worked out uninstall and reinstall would probably do it. You may need to get Norton's Systemworks if that is not working. Corrupted .dll files that are shared don't always delete themselves when uninstalling software.

Do you have this issue with other programs?

And lastly have you tried WinAmp?

Problem solved. Went to Best Buy and dropped a wad of cash, but came out with an Epson Stylus CX6600 Printer/Copier/Scanner, and will do fax with computers software but I have T1 cable. This printer is AWESOME! It prints photo without having to yank out ink cartridges and swap in photo ones. It uses the same ink with everything. It also prints at an ASTOUNDING resolution of 5,760 x 1,440. Photo copies look like... well... a PHOTO! The best I've ever seen come out of a printer. Simply awesome. Remember that brand... *EPSON*.

I also bought a top of the line Sony external drive. It's a Sony DRX-800UL DVD+/-RW/+/-R/CD-RW, Double Layer, Dual Layer Burner, and it came with Nero 6.6 software that blows Windows Media Player away! Nero will convert any file to whatever kind of file imaginable, and then record it, in any format imaginable. Also, simply awesome.

I've been having some fun burning stuff, and couldn't be happier with what I bought. My problems with burning are solved, that's for sure. And I like to take pictures with my Canon Digital S50, and I've never seen better quality prints from a home printer than this Epson, so I'm happy with that as well.

Pale Rider said:
Problem solved. Went to Best Buy and dropped a wad of cash, but came out with an Epson Stylus CX6600 Printer/Copier/Scanner, and will do fax with computers software but I have T1 cable. This printer is AWESOME! It prints photo without having to yank out ink cartridges and swap in photo ones. It uses the same ink with everything. It also prints at an ASTOUNDING resolution of 5,760 x 1,440. Photo copies look like... well... a PHOTO! The best I've ever seen come out of a printer. Simply awesome. Remember that brand... *EPSON*.

I also bought a top of the line Sony external drive. It's a Sony DRX-800UL DVD+/-RW/+/-R/CD-RW, Double Layer, Dual Layer Burner, and it came with Nero 6.6 software that blows Windows Media Player away! Nero will convert any file to whatever kind of file imaginable, and then record it, in any format imaginable. Also, simply awesome.

I've been having some fun burning stuff, and couldn't be happier with what I bought. My problems with burning are solved, that's for sure. And I like to take pictures with my Canon Digital S50, and I've never seen better quality prints from a home printer than this Epson, so I'm happy with that as well.

hey Pale whats a ball park figure for that drive? ive been looking for a decent dvd burner.

Pale Rider said:

It sounds like you do what I would do in that case. Okay WMP doesn't work right? Let's solve it and get some stuff I wanted to begin with anyway!

The NERO Software would probably have solved your issue by itself, but heck nothing like top-of-the-line....

no1tovote4 said:
Gotta find a Math-geek that will fix your stuff for you...

:funnyface

I have plenty of geeks.. When I order something, it's cuz it's *broke*.

Shattered said:
I have plenty of geeks.. When I order something, it's cuz it's *broke*.
not me, when i order something its cause im bored with what i have now.

Johnney said:
not me, when i order something its cause im bored with what i have now.

But I'm no techno-geek.. I leave well enough alone while it still works. :)

Forum List

Back