A public ruling on this please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope this thread doesn't get derailed.

I just want to know if lying about the words of others, inside the quote box, is allowed.

I understand about the chicken shit little game of slightly changing the quoted poster's name. Changing the words of others and hoping no one notices the small change to the poster's name is still the worst kind of lying and I want to know the extent of that lying is allowed.

Any material can be used as long as it is not attributed.

BUT if you use the quoter's name, the material has to be the same. That has always been an offense for which a ban could be applied.

I think its outright lying especially since because he OFTEN leaves the name the same as does 'where are my keys'. And, changing the name slightly is just another lie.

Guess I'll just have to start reporting it every time he does it.
Yes, report it every time. He'll eventually stop or get banned.

That is patently silly but within the rules because there is no such poster and no such post from the fictional poster.

What it does do is make the poster who does that look like a fool.

oh give me a break, when i do it, its in fun just like I did with you.
No, it isn't funny at all. Has nothing to do with a sense of humor. It's mean spirited, childish, jerky behavior.

I really hope this thread doesn't get derailed.

I just want to know if lying about the words of others, inside the quote box, is allowed.

I understand about the chicken shit little game of slightly changing the quoted poster's name. Changing the words of others and hoping no one notices the small change to the poster's name is still the worst kind of lying and I want to know the extent of that lying is allowed.
it was never allowed the years I was a mod.... don't know if the rules were modified since then?

The rule reads:

Editing quotes. You may selectively quote, provided that it does not change the context or meaning of the quote. When you comment on the quote, do it outside of the quote box. Do not post inside of the quote box.

But the rules also say:

No Spamming. Multiple posting of the same thing, advertising and links to other sites.

He does that all day every day with his constant posting harassing Bodecea.

Trouble with this issue is if not explicitly forbidden in the rules, full-time trolls will learn the rules and use them to their advantage. Simple fix, at a Mod's discretion where clear harassment or trolling is occuring, whether against the rules explicitly or not, punitive measures are authorized.

Excellent comment. A few on the far left and a number on the far right would leave if they could not troll without being punished.

Trouble with this issue is if not explicitly forbidden in the rules, full-time trolls will learn the rules and use them to their advantage. Simple fix, at a Mod's discretion where clear harassment or trolling is occuring, whether against the rules explicitly or not, punitive measures are authorized.

I get your point but the rules I quoted above do seem to be pretty clear and explicit to me.

I get your point but the rules I quoted above do seem to be pretty clear and explicit to me.

Squeaky wheel...Think you have a case someone's broken a rule report it. Keep reporting it. Might take some time, and whatever happens might not be overt to you, but my impression is the Mods here are judicious and sensible.

Squeaky wheel...Think you have a case someone's broken a rule report it. Keep reporting it. Might take some time, and whatever happens might not be overt to you, but my impression is the Mods here are judicious and sensible.

I agree and that's what I've done.

The rule reads:

Editing quotes. You may selectively quote, provided that it does not change the context or meaning of the quote. When you comment on the quote, do it outside of the quote box. Do not post inside of the quote box.

But the rules also say:

No Spamming. Multiple posting of the same thing, advertising and links to other sites.

Further question for admin -

If lying and/or changing a poster's name and actual words is to be allowed, would you consider requiring that the lie not be inside the quote box?

Thanks.

The rule reads:

But the rules also say:

If lying and/or changing a poster's name and actual words is to be allowed, would you consider requiring that the lie not be inside the quote box?

Thanks.

do you really not understand that making up a poster and a quote is not lying?

The rule reads:

But the rules also say:

Thanks.

do you really not understand that making up a poster and a quote is not lying?

I understand honest and integrity.

At this time, the rule regarding quotes is this:

The way we've traditionally applied it is that if you wish to alter a quote, it's ok if you remove the link-back and alter the poster's name.

I'll bring this up before the team for discussion on whether this needs to be addressed. In the meantime, thread is closed as it degenerated into a flamefest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back