A Protest Nation and An Election

'65 thru 68', my Navy Pilot husband was stationed in Alameda, CA. I spent most of those three years there raising my toddler son alone. Husband was flying A1E's off an aircraft carrier somewhere around Nam. ... I wore a miniature set of gold wings set with a diamond, and I wore it proudly. However, those wings got me and my son some nasty jeers when we once toured the Haight-Ashbury area of San Francisco. We were followed closely, hippies getting right up in my face. ... I was terrified, my son was screaming his head off. No one hurt us... physically, and we never went back. But I remember thinking "Why the hell is my husband laying his life on the line while you do nothing dip shits are calling him filth? ... I knew why. So, I considered the source of my anger and moved on... but I've never forgotten.

plt, first let me say I appreciate your husbands service to our country and on behalf of the naval aviation community I can assure you there is not a moment that goes by that we all are not thankful for those that took up the call to defend this great nation. You yourself, as a Navy wife are owed a big thank you from the rest of us for the hardships you endured at home, while your husband was no doubt deployed at that time as an A-1E Driver on many a WestPac cruise. I am sincerely sorry you had to witness the vile trash that could not bring themselves to stand in the light of such a warrior like your husband and rather than honor him they would spit on him and call him names. You can and do have the thanks of myself, the Naval Aviation community, the Military, and most Americans for the sacrifices you have made and we also remember with you. may god bless you, and your family.

I was spit on in LA once, by some hot young chick who assumed I was a Marine.

OTOH I was gassed by the cops in Washington who assumed I was a hippie.

Plenty of bad apples out there on both sides of the political equasion.

Forum List

Back