Debate Now A Proposed Amendment to Restore Power to the People

Regarding the Proposed Constitutional Amendment as written in the OP?

• 1. I support the Amendment as written in the OP

• 2. I support part of the Amendment as written in the OP and will explain.

• 3. I reject the Amendment as written in the OP and will explain.

• 4. Other and I will explain in my post.

Results are only viewable after voting.
depends on what you mean by integrity.....in some ways the constitution itself may lack integrity.........its the courts role to interpret the contract not manipulate it to come up with PC decisions.

The process runs and it only has as much integrity as those who participate in it have.

I may not like the Warren Court. I may think that some decisions are activism.

But that is the process.....without it....what would we be.

I abide the Warren Court decisions...they help form the laws of this land.

the structure that allows abuse is responsible in some part, too much power in the hands of too few.

With a better structure we would be better.

We are wonderful when we pay attention to the fact that Liberty does not just happen.

The "power in the hands of a few" issue is written all over our history books.

And we probably suffer that now even in the U.S.

I have no issues with our current structure. I do have issues with the rather lazy way my fellow Americans treat the liberties that have been won and preserved for them.

our structure allows in part the power to be concentrated in the hands of the few

people are people......

in some ways I see it as lazy ...to blame lazy people..........

Please explain the system you would put in place to keep from concentrating power in the hands of a few.

I can guess what elements it will contain......

Let's hear it.

YOu can guess?...then do

I have put down my thoughts on an outline of changes needed here

Outline of a new Constitution | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

the structure that allows abuse is responsible in some part, too much power in the hands of too few.

With a better structure we would be better.

We are wonderful when we pay attention to the fact that Liberty does not just happen.

I have no issues with our current structure. I do have issues with the rather lazy way my fellow Americans treat the liberties that have been won and preserved for them.

our structure allows in part the power to be concentrated in the hands of the few

people are people......

Please explain the system you would put in place to keep from concentrating power in the hands of a few.

Let's hear it.

The Constitution was designed to create a structure that would accomplish just that. The Founders wanted a new kind of nation--the first in the history of the world--in which the government would be assigned all the power it was allowed by the people and then the people, with their rights secured, would be free to live as they chose to live free of dictates of monarch or dictator or feudal lord or pope or archbishop or any other authoritarian government. The power would be given to the people themselves to organize their societies as they saw fit and live their lives as they chose to live them. The power would reside with all the people and not with the government.

I am reasonable certain that is what Michelsen had in mind to begin to restore with his proposed amendment.

Unfortunately, it has failed in that regard.

Our government has reached the point where it takes the power it wants.

We have no way to stop it.

No it did not fail. What failed was that the people did exactly what the Founders expressly warned them not to do--get comfortable, and complacent, and stop paying attention. So when one administration pushes the envelope a little and nobody complains about it or calls them on it, that was license for another to push a little more. And beginning with Teddy Roosevelt who figured out he could claim all the power he wanted and needed to do whatever, and because he was popular he got away with it, that started the snowball rolling to take power from the people and transfer to it to an ever growing, unmanageable, monstrosity of a government. That snowball has been gaining in size and speed ever since so that now it steamrollers over pretty much everything.

The only ones who can slow it down and eventually stop it are we the people with the vision and backbone to do so. I believe Michelson offered his proposed amendment as one suggestion of how we can begin to do exactly that.

The Constitution didn't fail. Self serving politicians who found they can get away with manipulating and setting aside the Constitution in ways to benefit themselves are who have failed us.

people are people......

Let's hear it.

The Constitution was designed to create a structure that would accomplish just that. The Founders wanted a new kind of nation--the first in the history of the world--in which the government would be assigned all the power it was allowed by the people and then the people, with their rights secured, would be free to live as they chose to live free of dictates of monarch or dictator or feudal lord or pope or archbishop or any other authoritarian government. The power would be given to the people themselves to organize their societies as they saw fit and live their lives as they chose to live them. The power would reside with all the people and not with the government.

I am reasonable certain that is what Michelsen had in mind to begin to restore with his proposed amendment.

Unfortunately, it has failed in that regard.

Our government has reached the point where it takes the power it wants.

We have no way to stop it.

No it did not fail. What failed was that the people did exactly what the Founders expressly warned them not to do--get comfortable, and complacent, and stop paying attention. So when one administration pushes the envelope a little and nobody complains about it or calls them on it, that was license for another to push a little more. And beginning with Teddy Roosevelt who figured out he could claim all the power he wanted and needed to do whatever, and because he was popular he got away with it, that started the snowball rolling to take power from the people and transfer to it to an ever growing, unmanageable, monstrosity of a government. That snowball has been gaining in size and speed ever since so that now it steamrollers over pretty much everything.

The only ones who can slow it down and eventually stop it are we the people with the vision and backbone to do so. I believe Michelson offered his proposed amendment as one suggestion of how we can begin to do exactly that.

The Constitution didn't fail. Self serving politicians who found they can get away with manipulating and setting aside the Constitution in ways to benefit themselves are who have failed us.

I'll agree with you. After I hit the go button, I rethought my stance.

But this brings us back to that old saying...

"All that is required for evil men to succeed...."....in this case they were not evil just of a different mindset. And they are winning the war.

Forum List

Back