A Proposal for Education Reform

Discussion in 'Politics' started by theDoctorisIn, Feb 20, 2012.

1. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,923
    I’m a child of teachers. My parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles have all been teachers at one point or another.
    I’ve spent my entire life hearing about the problems in our school systems - mostly from the perspective of AFT-member public school teachers. Combined with my own personal politic views and experiences, I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about the problems of our educational system.

The complexity of the problems, and the immediate barriers to reform - the opposing forces and lobbies, each with their own plans and explicit arguments against the opposition make the task of reform nearly impossible.

So I put some time into trying to think of a way to reform the education system that would both change the status quo, and still be politically feasible. (I'll be honest, this idea partially came from an episode of The West Wing, but I think it could work).

A "GI Bill" for teachers: Offer student loan forgiveness to new teachers who agree to teach in high-need areas for a certain number of years.

As I see it, that will both bring in new, young, and innovative teachers into the schools that need them the most, as well as injecting new blood into the Teacher's Unions, perhaps making them less resistant to change in the school system.

There are few ways to attack the problems with our school system that don't step on the toes of the Teacher's Union. This is one that I think could work.

Thoughts?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
  3. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Neat post. I think I can even go so far as to say I would like the idea. Considering the state of some of our schools combat pay for teachers might be a good idea.

I hope this thread goes far

4. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,923
  5. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    I have a love/hate relationship with the teaching "profession". What I love, of course, is the inherent honor it once had.

What I hate is the racket it has become. Mastery of subject matter is not even a second thought, rather mastery of a few principles of education that could be taught in maybe 24 credit hours (likely much less) that are revived, renamed, redefined, and overly redundant of each other to justify the necessity of a "major" in education.

Actual teaching of subject matter also has become a low priority with medicating, controlling diets, concern about self-esteem all over subject matter content. Those are topics for the parents.

When teachers get back to teaching and stop taking it upon themselves to parent, we may once again have a decent public education system.

On the flipside, parents need to let teachers teach.

Stop the overlap. Demarcate, don't conflate, the parent role and the teacher role.

Just for starters.

6. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    My reforms, do away with teacher unions, close the department of education and return all cotrol of schools to the local level and let them set their own standards. Quit teaching to the damn test.

7. DontBeStupid

DontBeStupid Look it up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +422
    While I like your idea, and definitely think it will attract new teachers, I don't think the problem is with not enough young teachers. I think the problem is on the parent's side. When I was a kid, if I mouthed off at school, my parents would get a call and I would get in trouble when I got home. Now if a kid mouths off at school, the parents threaten to sue because the teacher was being mean.

Positive change can happen, but it starts with parents supporting teachers again.

8. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,923
    I can't agree with that proposal.

It might be because I'm a child of public schools that actually had a great public school experience (I went to some of the best public schools in the country), or it might be because I'm the child of two AFT members.

The majority of Americans don't have the resources or time to home school their kids, and even fewer can afford private school. I understand that people would be able to afford it if the government education system was completely eliminated - but even your website recognizes that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

9. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,923
    I agree with this post 100%.

I think the way to change the "racket" that teaching has become is to flood the system with new, innovative teachers. People who don't worship the status quo.

10. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,923
    I don't disagree with you, but I don't know anyway to "reform" parenting...