A Prisoner Who Briefly Died Argues That He’s Served His Life Sentence

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
What does it mean to complete a sentence of life in prison? One prisoner claims he has done it by serving time until the moment of his death — plus another four years since — and says it is well past time to set him free.

The prisoner, Benjamin Schreiber, made that argument to an appeals court in Iowa, saying that when he briefly died in 2015, before being revived at a hospital, he completed his obligation to the state. He asked the three-judge panel to let him get on with his life.

The judges rejected his argument this week, ruling that a lower court had been right to dismiss his petition.

But, that was a very nice try.

I think he's technically correct.

Now if he'd been sentenced to multiple life sentences they could just kick in the next one.

What does it mean to complete a sentence of life in prison? One prisoner claims he has done it by serving time until the moment of his death — plus another four years since — and says it is well past time to set him free.

The prisoner, Benjamin Schreiber, made that argument to an appeals court in Iowa, saying that when he briefly died in 2015, before being revived at a hospital, he completed his obligation to the state. He asked the three-judge panel to let him get on with his life.

The judges rejected his argument this week, ruling that a lower court had been right to dismiss his petition.

But, that was a very nice try.
I won't buy it either.

If that guy claims he was death, I as a judge will ask for evidence, I want to see the death body... today.

Forum List

Back