A Princeton sociologist spent 8 years asking rural Americans why they’re so pissed off

Ok the great health care he promised cheaper and better.
Mexico paying for wall and liking it.
Tax cuts for uber wealthy and corporations while expanding their expenditures and eliminating ours. My taxes will go up 17.4%.
Giving us dirtier air and water.
Rolling bank Dodd-Frank to help insure another banking crisses.
I'm just about as pissed off by this as anyone. At almost retirement age and having paid for health insurance for my family for years, it was stunning how much my cost have gone up since the establishment of the ACA (Obamacare.) Now that my kids have moved out, yet are still single, except one, I still have to pay an absolute ass load of money. My oldest will fall off this coming September, he will turn 28,yet my cost will not go down any... still have to pay for the entire family right now. Hopefully the repel of the mandates will have a small, yet positive, effect on my monthly cost.
Oh, and the whole thing of "if you like your doctor, you keep your doctor" thing was a load of crap. I have not seen the same doctor twice in a row since 2013. The clinic I went to was great, up until that point, but skyrocketing cost, and availability of in network clinics keep shrinking, and my insurance keeps reassigning me to a new primary care provider.
The unintended consequences of "doing something" instead of "doing something the right way" has really put a strain on my family and me. Every time I hear "We gotta pass the bill to see whats in it" burns my ass worse than the standard 3 foot flame. Don't get me wrong, Republicans had 7 friggin years to come up with a workable alternative, and didn't do it, so they aren't off the hook either. The whole system is corrupt and needs to be burnt to the ground, and then the ashes fed into a plasma burner to cleanse it even further. To lay the blame at Trump's feet is fair, I guess, but his first 4 years aren't up yet, so maybe, hopefully, he can get folks together and come up with something fair to us all.

I should stay away from this one, but I won't. Mexico will never "like" paying for the wall, however, I don't think any reasonable person out there honestly thinks there is a way to do it. Not to say he won't try, The Bottom line here is; something has to be done about illegal immigration. My personal opinion is we need more man power, I haven't done the math, however I'm betting manpower vs an actual wall would be less expensive in the long run.
Hyperbole, thy name is "The Wall."

Tax cuts for uber wealthy and corporations while expanding their expenditures and eliminating ours. My taxes will go up 17.4%.
Really? You must be making some bank!
Otherwise, I'm gonna have to throw the Bullshit flag on this one and penalize you 15 yards for typing utter crap

Not so much. His EO's have taken out of play the more restrictive, unnecessary regulations put in place by an over reaching administration. Folks that are doing dirty to mother nature still have to clean up after themselves, close up pit mines, plant native trees and grasses when done. Frackers are still held responsible if they do something wrong and get their chemicals into ground water, they still have to clean it up and make it right.
Rolling bank Dodd-Frank to help insure another banking crisses,
Have you read Dodd-Frank? the very basic break down goes like this:
Banks "To Big To Fail" (FU BUSH!!) have to keep on hand larger reserves (capital) to cover accounts on hand and investments must be in "easily liquidated" assets in case of a run on banks. So, banks must have so much cash, and government securities......
Then, when the banks are handed 700 some odd billions of taxpayer dollars, as a "stimulus" (hahahahahahahaha) what do the banks do with it? Give ousted CEO's multi-million dollar severances, and store the rest to build up their cash reserves.
Only after those severance packages came out did the gubmint do anything..... once again, too little too late.... those unintended consequences once again. Damn, if only someone would have seen through what would happen to the money back in 2008.... Oh wait.
"The White House will call this a victory," said then-Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). "But as credit tightens, regulations multiply, and job creation slows even further as a result of this bill, they'll have a hard time convincing the American people that this is a victory for them." -Friggin Mitch McConnell (probably the only thing he got right in 10 years)
When you stifle cash, and make it hard to get a loan, the economy isn't going to grow much. You not only make it hard for Joe Average to get a loan, you make it hard for small business' to get loans which, more often than not, creates a smaller jobs market, which in turn leads to higher un-employment, which leads to higher taxes for those actually earning a living, etc etc etc.... I will say one good thing about Dodd Frank is the whistle blower protections, that being said, I personally think that could have been done separately, and in a much better manner to insure those that do so, aren't black listed, or have any sort of retaliation come back on them... whatsoever.

To lay all your issues at the feet of a duly elected President is hogwash. What Trump managed to do, and lets face it, he was the lamb being led to slaughter by the Republicans in the face of the Clinton machine.... Any who, he beat both sides at their own game, and yet all he gets from the MSM is hate, rancor, and charges of racism. When in fact, he is merit based and expects results.
But whatever, hold onto your hate for him.....

Health care
Not a fan of ACA but it is here for now. Orange said gonna be great and cheap. Nope!

Mexico

We agree, I think. Wall stupid, let's enforce current laws AND add manpower and pay to border.

Taxes

Not even close to wealthy but since I now cannot write off my 30,000 miles of year travelling for work or food, or hotel, or clothes, or well you get the picture.

Environment

Sorry bro we break wide here, I like clean air and water and my kids and grandkids do as well!

Dodd-Frank

Yup I know about the parties they had with the money given to them and yup pissed to. Do not think pulling regulations off of them so they can do it again is wise though. Maybe Rump wants to butter their balls though so they may lend him more money that he won't pay back again, hard to say!

Dodd-Frank was a gift to large banks and a death nail for the smaller ones. Too big to fail got much larger under that stupid law.

I get all that no bill/law will be a perfect fit for every. Just hope we never have to look at another 2008 like collapse again!
The saddest thing here is, we will, regardless of who is in charge. It's just the nature of things. Ups and downs, highs and lows. To hope it won't happen again is really nice, but we will always have a "course correction" when it comes to the economy.
The subprime meltdown of 2008 could have been avoided had those making 20k a year not been pushed into buying 250k homes they couldn't afford the mortgage on. I get the idea that those loans would eventually be paid back or bought up etc etc.... but when they've literally flooded the market to the point as the 2008 bubble burst.... well, you reap what you sow. With Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae leading the way. Once again, our elected officials trying to do something, anything instead of looking at the unintended consequences of what they were doing.
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/Publications/PDF/gse.pdf
So, before you say hindsight is 20/20, no, there were plenty of warnings of what would happen with the housing industry. Our elected officials either ignored or dismissed those warnings and felt that housing would continue to increase in value. However, when foreclosures and new homes built cause an unexpected housing glut..... well, you get things like HARP/HAMP and over a trillion dollars (that's TRILLION, with a T) added to the national debt for individual bailouts, which keeps getting extended over and over and over again.

The big meltdowns like 2008 wouldn't be happening if the big players who caused it would have been given stiff prison sentences. Obama the savior did nothing of course, he's as bad as the republicans. Same with other crimes like the gulf oil 'spill' of a few years back. Several people killed, the gulf is polluted and will never be the same, nobody does any prison time, just fines which can be repealed and then written off as a cost of doing business.

There's not a whole lot for the folks to do out there in rural fly over country other than watch Fox news and bitch about how us coastal elites are somehow ruining their lives.

I'm just about as pissed off by this as anyone. At almost retirement age and having paid for health insurance for my family for years, it was stunning how much my cost have gone up since the establishment of the ACA (Obamacare.) Now that my kids have moved out, yet are still single, except one, I still have to pay an absolute ass load of money. My oldest will fall off this coming September, he will turn 28,yet my cost will not go down any... still have to pay for the entire family right now. Hopefully the repel of the mandates will have a small, yet positive, effect on my monthly cost.
Oh, and the whole thing of "if you like your doctor, you keep your doctor" thing was a load of crap. I have not seen the same doctor twice in a row since 2013. The clinic I went to was great, up until that point, but skyrocketing cost, and availability of in network clinics keep shrinking, and my insurance keeps reassigning me to a new primary care provider.
The unintended consequences of "doing something" instead of "doing something the right way" has really put a strain on my family and me. Every time I hear "We gotta pass the bill to see whats in it" burns my ass worse than the standard 3 foot flame. Don't get me wrong, Republicans had 7 friggin years to come up with a workable alternative, and didn't do it, so they aren't off the hook either. The whole system is corrupt and needs to be burnt to the ground, and then the ashes fed into a plasma burner to cleanse it even further. To lay the blame at Trump's feet is fair, I guess, but his first 4 years aren't up yet, so maybe, hopefully, he can get folks together and come up with something fair to us all.

I should stay away from this one, but I won't. Mexico will never "like" paying for the wall, however, I don't think any reasonable person out there honestly thinks there is a way to do it. Not to say he won't try, The Bottom line here is; something has to be done about illegal immigration. My personal opinion is we need more man power, I haven't done the math, however I'm betting manpower vs an actual wall would be less expensive in the long run.

Otherwise, I'm gonna have to throw the Bullshit flag on this one and penalize you 15 yards for typing utter crap

Not so much. His EO's have taken out of play the more restrictive, unnecessary regulations put in place by an over reaching administration. Folks that are doing dirty to mother nature still have to clean up after themselves, close up pit mines, plant native trees and grasses when done. Frackers are still held responsible if they do something wrong and get their chemicals into ground water, they still have to clean it up and make it right.
Banks "To Big To Fail" (FU BUSH!!) have to keep on hand larger reserves (capital) to cover accounts on hand and investments must be in "easily liquidated" assets in case of a run on banks. So, banks must have so much cash, and government securities......
Then, when the banks are handed 700 some odd billions of taxpayer dollars, as a "stimulus" (hahahahahahahaha) what do the banks do with it? Give ousted CEO's multi-million dollar severances, and store the rest to build up their cash reserves.
Only after those severance packages came out did the gubmint do anything..... once again, too little too late.... those unintended consequences once again. Damn, if only someone would have seen through what would happen to the money back in 2008.... Oh wait.
"The White House will call this a victory," said then-Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). "But as credit tightens, regulations multiply, and job creation slows even further as a result of this bill, they'll have a hard time convincing the American people that this is a victory for them." -Friggin Mitch McConnell (probably the only thing he got right in 10 years)
When you stifle cash, and make it hard to get a loan, the economy isn't going to grow much. You not only make it hard for Joe Average to get a loan, you make it hard for small business' to get loans which, more often than not, creates a smaller jobs market, which in turn leads to higher un-employment, which leads to higher taxes for those actually earning a living, etc etc etc.... I will say one good thing about Dodd Frank is the whistle blower protections, that being said, I personally think that could have been done separately, and in a much better manner to insure those that do so, aren't black listed, or have any sort of retaliation come back on them... whatsoever.

To lay all your issues at the feet of a duly elected President is hogwash. What Trump managed to do, and lets face it, he was the lamb being led to slaughter by the Republicans in the face of the Clinton machine.... Any who, he beat both sides at their own game, and yet all he gets from the MSM is hate, rancor, and charges of racism. When in fact, he is merit based and expects results.

Health care
Not a fan of ACA but it is here for now. Orange said gonna be great and cheap. Nope!

Mexico

We agree, I think. Wall stupid, let's enforce current laws AND add manpower and pay to border.

Taxes

Not even close to wealthy but since I now cannot write off my 30,000 miles of year travelling for work or food, or hotel, or clothes, or well you get the picture.

Environment

Sorry bro we break wide here, I like clean air and water and my kids and grandkids do as well!

Dodd-Frank

Yup I know about the parties they had with the money given to them and yup pissed to. Do not think pulling regulations off of them so they can do it again is wise though. Maybe Rump wants to butter their balls though so they may lend him more money that he won't pay back again, hard to say!

Dodd-Frank was a gift to large banks and a death nail for the smaller ones. Too big to fail got much larger under that stupid law.

I get all that no bill/law will be a perfect fit for every. Just hope we never have to look at another 2008 like collapse again!
The saddest thing here is, we will, regardless of who is in charge. It's just the nature of things. Ups and downs, highs and lows. To hope it won't happen again is really nice, but we will always have a "course correction" when it comes to the economy.
The subprime meltdown of 2008 could have been avoided had those making 20k a year not been pushed into buying 250k homes they couldn't afford the mortgage on. I get the idea that those loans would eventually be paid back or bought up etc etc.... but when they've literally flooded the market to the point as the 2008 bubble burst.... well, you reap what you sow. With Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae leading the way. Once again, our elected officials trying to do something, anything instead of looking at the unintended consequences of what they were doing.
So, before you say hindsight is 20/20, no, there were plenty of warnings of what would happen with the housing industry. Our elected officials either ignored or dismissed those warnings and felt that housing would continue to increase in value. However, when foreclosures and new homes built cause an unexpected housing glut..... well, you get things like HARP/HAMP and over a trillion dollars (that's TRILLION, with a T) added to the national debt for individual bailouts, which keeps getting extended over and over and over again.

The big meltdowns like 2008 wouldn't be happening if the big players who caused it would have been given stiff prison sentences. Obama the savior did nothing of course, he's as bad as the republicans. Same with other crimes like the gulf oil 'spill' of a few years back. Several people killed, the gulf is polluted and will never be the same, nobody does any prison time, just fines which can be repealed and then written off as a cost of doing business.

Ahh, the Gulf oil spill....
I gotta say this. I Don't blame Obama for it.
I blame BP
They owned the platform, they messed it up, they didn't have the safety reduntatcies in place.... they should have paid even more thant they did. However, I cannot say they were or were not following safety guidelines at the time.
However, it seems to me, the big banks and mortgage loan companies of the 00s were playing fast and loose with the sub-prime market and they knew it.... hell the world monetary fund knew and and warned about it back in 05.... no one listened. Yet almost everyone went on. Countrywide was giving out loans without even checking credit.... Lehman's should have gone into bankruptcy, and Goldmans Sachs was bailed out as well as Wells Fargo..... and all of the CEOs and CFOs at the time left those corporations after being bailed out with multi-million severences from the taxpayer bailouts. Those are the sons of bitches that need to be in jail. that is some extra -ordinary immorality.

Health care

Mexico

Taxes

Environment

Dodd-Frank

Agreed, both parties are just as guilty. But why make it just as easy to do again.

https://financialservices.house.gov/uploadedfiles/financial_choice_act_executive_summary_final.pdf

It doesn't do that.
It makes it so that there are no longer banks that are "too big to fail" and also allows smaller banks to compete.
Deregulation isn't always a bad thing. There is still oversight, there is still regulation,

Health care

Mexico

Taxes

Environment

Dodd-Frank

Agreed, both parties are just as guilty. But why make it just as easy to do again.

https://financialservices.house.gov/uploadedfiles/financial_choice_act_executive_summary_final.pdf

It doesn't do that.
It makes it so that there are no longer banks that are "too big to fail" and also allows smaller banks to compete.
Deregulation isn't always a bad thing. There is still oversight, there is still regulation,

No deregulation is not always bad. But these banks should be made to carry a bigger reserve. Yes many people overreacted and bought more house then they could afford but the banks actually approved these loans. It was a crazy whacked out system. Probably not a good thing to go back to either.

I blame BP
They owned the platform, they messed it up, they didn't have the safety reduntatcies in place.... they should have paid even more thant they did. However, I cannot say they were or were not following safety guidelines at the time.
However, it seems to me, the big banks and mortgage loan companies of the 00s were playing fast and loose with the sub-prime market and they knew it.... hell the world monetary fund knew and and warned about it back in 05.... no one listened. Yet almost everyone went on. Countrywide was giving out loans without even checking credit.... Lehman's should have gone into bankruptcy, and Goldmans Sachs was bailed out as well as Wells Fargo..... and all of the CEOs and CFOs at the time left those corporations after being bailed out with multi-million severences from the taxpayer bailouts. Those are the sons of bitches that need to be in jail. that is some extra -ordinary immorality.

Democrats (Barney Franks) wanted to up home ownership. Pressure was put on banks to loan and derivatives were created to insulate the banks from risk. You took a relatively stable home ownership rate and asked for trouble. Despite all of that, bank CEOs should have known better.

Personally, I think Trump is a lout, but I also think he is exactly what this country needs at this time in history. The hatred that he has generated in left wing loons is proof of that.

I don't understand this comment. The actions of generating hatred from an opposition party seems like a non-starter in country pretty evenly divided between Dems and Republicans.

I blame BP

Democrats (Barney Franks) wanted to up home ownership. Pressure was put on banks to loan and derivatives were created to insulate the banks from risk. You took a relatively stable home ownership rate and asked for trouble. Despite all of that, bank CEOs should have known better.

It wasn't just Franks, Bush the younger pushed it as well..... Franks and Dodd picked it up and ran with it..... to bad it was a receipe for the disaster it became.

Robert Wuthnow, a sociologist at Princeton University, spent eight years interviewing Americans in small towns across the country. He had one goal: to understand why rural America is so angry with Washington.

"Wuthnow’s work resulted in a new book, The Left Behind: Decline and Rage in Rural America. He argues that rural Americans are less concerned about economic issues and more concerned about Washington threatening the social fabric of small towns and causing a “moral decline” in the country as a whole. The problem, though, is that it’s never quite clear what that means or how Washington is responsible for it."

And this is where he gets to the root
Sean Illing
"I guess I just don’t know how to respond to these sorts of complaints. Yes, the world has changed; it’s always changing. And I understand the sense of loss some people feel because of that, but at some point, we have to acknowledge that culture evolves and stop trying to unwind the historical clock."

They have been fighting cultural changes they already lost, then trump comes along and assures them he alone will turn back the clock and bring back their 1950's world of minorities and women knowing their places and then sells them MAGA hats

A Princeton sociologist spent 8 years asking rural Americans why they’re so pissed off

I live in rural America - TN and I can say Wuthnow is spot on. However, not seeing how Washington DC is responsible for the moral decay in society we need not look any further past the 8 years under Obama. Gay marriage is a prime example of such

-Geaux

Just curious. How do you see gay marriage as negatively affecting your life? Do you have fewer opportunities or fewer liberties?
What burdon has it put on you and why is Washington responsible?

You had to know that a Princeton Turd was going to come up with some Bullshit he already believed before he went on his Bullshit eight year tour.

He should have just read what Thomas Jefferson had to say: That the the huge congested rotting cities now being invaded by a Mexican and Muslim hoard were the greatest threat to the great experiment Jefferson and his fellow founding fathers set in motion....which has been the greatest in the human history.

Heartland America is watching Detroit, Baltimore, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco turn into Socialist Cesspools and spew their cancer around to the rest of the country.....turning it into a budding Venezuela.

And a fucking Princeton Professor can't understand why Jeffersonians all across America are pissed. Who is surprised?
so when are going to take your job back?

FB_IMG_1520988303092.jpg

Forum List

Back