A prime minister with blood on his hands

Colin

Gold Member
Aug 11, 2009
England
If there was ever a case for sending more British troops to Afghanistan, the recent survey showing the high rate of fatalities taken by British forces is a case in point. The analysis shows a death rate of 16.2 per 1000 during the summer surge, almost twice that of US forces during the same period. Yet the twat of a prime minister, Gordon Brown, offers the possibility of sending a measly 500 extra troops, when commanders on the ground have consistently called for reinforcements of at least 2000. When will these self-serving bastards, who are quick to commit our young men and women to fight their wars, provide them with the capabilities to do their job properly. When will they heed the advice of their military experts instead of counting their damned pennies. Clearly, a soldier’s life is worth less than a balanced budget!

The full scale of the lethal challenge facing UK forces in Afghanistan was laid bare last night after the Government reported that British soldiers fought directly with Taliban insurgents seven times every day.
As the threat from the resurgent Taliban has multiplied recently, the number of confrontations with opposition forces has soared more than twenty-fold from the 10 experienced every month only three years ago.
New details of the number of "contact events" undergone by British forces in Helmand province emerged as a new study, compiled from official Ministry of Defence figures, revealed that British forces are suffering death rates as bad as those endured by the Soviets, who lost a war of attrition against Afghan insurgents in the country during the 1980s.

The analysis shows that the death rate among UK and Canadian forces during the early summer surge doubled to around 16.2 per thousand personnel in theatre operations for a year, compared to the previous three months. The figure was almost twice the death rate sustained by the Americans during the same period.

"The statistics are very clear – this is a definite and disturbing pattern showing fatality rates for British forces in Afghanistan are consistently higher than those of US forces," said Professor Bird. "It is highly unlikely that the difference in fatality rates is just down to chance. The most obvious first thing to think about is the difference in the territories and levels of resistance the forces are operating in."

British troops fight Taliban 'seven times a day' - Asia, World - The Independent

I agree with you Colin. Our men and women need the necessary equipment to do the duty they're being sent over there for. We had that problem here in the states and still do.

Last edited:
Commanders on the ground continue to highlight the shortcomings in troop numbers, but still the bastard Brown refuses to listen!

The Prime Minister will announce on Wednesday that the size of the British force will increase from 9,000 to 9,500. The additional troops will come from the Royal Anglian Regiment and the Coldstream Guards, who are expected to leave for Helmand province in the next few weeks.
Despite the increase, commanders have admitted that a shortage of British soldiers based in the two key towns of Sangin and Musa Qala will mean that UK forces will only be able to contain, not defeat, the Taliban in this part of Helmand. Dozens of soldiers were killed and injured in the two towns over the summer after the Taliban planted hundreds of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in the areas surrounding British bases.
One senior officer described the size of the British force as being an "order of magnitude out" of that required to successfully defeat an insurgency. General Sir David Richards, the head of the British Army, told The Sunday Telegraph last week that more troops in Helmand would mean fewer casualties.
The calls for more troops were echoed by Lieutenant Colonel Charlie Antelme DSO, the commanding officer of the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, who has just returned from Helmand.
Col Antelme, whose battalion lost seven soldiers including its former Commander Lt Col Rupert Thorneloe, admitted that he could "have achieved more with more" and added that additional helicopters "would have been a good thing". Col Antelme said his men were attacked up to 15 times a day in some of the most savage fighting experienced by British troops in Helmand.

Commanders warn Afghan troop increase is not enough - Telegraph

If there was ever a case for sending more British troops to Afghanistan, the recent survey showing the high rate of fatalities taken by British forces is a case in point. The analysis shows a death rate of 16.2 per 1000 during the summer surge, almost twice that of US forces during the same period. Yet the twat of a prime minister, Gordon Brown, offers the possibility of sending a measly 500 extra troops, when commanders on the ground have consistently called for reinforcements of at least 2000. When will these self-serving bastards, who are quick to commit our young men and women to fight their wars, provide them with the capabilities to do their job properly. When will they heed the advice of their military experts instead of counting their damned pennies. Clearly, a soldier’s life is worth less than a balanced budget!

The full scale of the lethal challenge facing UK forces in Afghanistan was laid bare last night after the Government reported that British soldiers fought directly with Taliban insurgents seven times every day.
As the threat from the resurgent Taliban has multiplied recently, the number of confrontations with opposition forces has soared more than twenty-fold from the 10 experienced every month only three years ago.
New details of the number of "contact events" undergone by British forces in Helmand province emerged as a new study, compiled from official Ministry of Defence figures, revealed that British forces are suffering death rates as bad as those endured by the Soviets, who lost a war of attrition against Afghan insurgents in the country during the 1980s.

The analysis shows that the death rate among UK and Canadian forces during the early summer surge doubled to around 16.2 per thousand personnel in theatre operations for a year, compared to the previous three months. The figure was almost twice the death rate sustained by the Americans during the same period.

"The statistics are very clear – this is a definite and disturbing pattern showing fatality rates for British forces in Afghanistan are consistently higher than those of US forces," said Professor Bird. "It is highly unlikely that the difference in fatality rates is just down to chance. The most obvious first thing to think about is the difference in the territories and levels of resistance the forces are operating in."

British troops fight Taliban 'seven times a day' - Asia, World - The Independent

One would have thought that dear Gordon would have found a way to provide the additional resources, not because he thinks it's the right thing to do. but because it's an election year.

The man never ceases to depress me. He doesn't even do the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Just picked this report up:

Despite a steady flow of British casualties, Gordon Brown has signalled he is willing to send 500 extra troops to the frontline if other Nato allies share the burden.

We'll carry the fight in Afghanistan with the US, vows Miliband | Metro.co.uk

So Brown's intent to send a measly 500 extra troops is conditional on other NATO allies sharing the burden. Fat chance of that then. The Canadians are withdrawing within two years. The Dutch have just announced their intent to pull out within the same time period and as for the rest of the NATO countries...they have the nerve to call themselves allies.

How surprising that we should see politicians like Brown using extra troops as a bargaining chip while our young men are dying. I've changed my mind. Brown isn't a twat. He is a c**t of the first order!

I have supported this war from the outset. No more. If these bastards won't give our troops what they require, all future efforts in Afghanistan are futile. If our fucking politicians can't piss, they should get off the pot and let the military do what is required . Failing that, we should pull all British troops out.

This saddens me, makes me mad, and frightens me. And all we can do is sit back, worry, and pray for those soldiers to come home safe to their loved ones.

sending troops to the graveyard of empires is idiotic......smartest thing bush did was move that war to the streets of iraq.....

obama is going to go fight in the moutains.....idiot....

And here is yet another example of how the British government neglects its troops!

POOLE MP Robert Syms has said control of the Royal Marines housing in Hamworthy should be taken away from the Ministry of Defence.

He suggested transferring control of the 178 family homes and 638 single-accommodation places from Defence Estates to Poole Housing Partnership (PHP).

Mr Syms said the Royal Marines– including the Special Boat Service (SBS) – were not people who complain but are frustrated at the lack of response when they have problems with their homes.

“The defence housing people do not seem to understand customer service. PHP have the infrastructure. They look after houses in Hamworthy already. It could be sub-contracted to them,” he said.

He made the comments to the Echo after a Freedom of Information request revealed the vast majority of soldiers stationed in Dorset are still living in low-quality accommodation.

At Blandford, 91 per cent of single soldiers live in accommodation rated in of the bottom two categories of four. The figure for Bovington is 68 per cent, and 54 per for Poole.

Family accommodation is better after government investment. At Blandford 40 per cent of families have homes in the top grade. The figure for Bovington is 43 per cent, and in Poole 55 per cent.

‘Let PHP improve marines’ housing’ (From Bournemouth Echo)

Despite a steady flow of British casualties, Gordon Brown has signalled he is willing to send 500 extra troops to the frontline if other Nato allies share the burden.

So Brown's intent to send a measly 500 extra troops is conditional on other NATO allies sharing the burden. Fat chance of that then. The Canadians are withdrawing within two years. The Dutch have just announced their intent to pull out within the same time period and as for the rest of the NATO countries...they have the nerve to call themselves allies.

How surprising that we should see politicians like Brown using extra troops as a bargaining chip while our young men are dying. I've changed my mind. Brown isn't a twat. He is a c**t of the first order!

I have supported this war from the outset. No more. If these bastards won't give our troops what they require, all future efforts in Afghanistan are futile. If our fucking politicians can't piss, they should get off the pot and let the military do what is required . Failing that, we should pull all British troops out.

Colin, I hear you. Truth is the Brits thought they were taking the 'easier front', they misjudged or maybe there is not 'easy.'

In any case, what UK is doing, the US seems determined to multiply, meaning we will leave our troops equally undefended. Looks like heavy casualties on both sides. Think that can be blamed on Blair and Bush?

Colin, I hear you. Truth is the Brits thought they were taking the 'easier front', they misjudged or maybe there is not 'easy.'

In any case, what UK is doing, the US seems determined to multiply, meaning we will leave our troops equally undefended. Looks like heavy casualties on both sides. Think that can be blamed on Blair and Bush?

No Annie. It's the here and now that counts. I have no time for Blair - a snake and a liar - but Brown must take the responsibilty for causing unnecessary fatalities in Afghanistan. As must your present president. That these men play politics while men are dying for want of government commitment is outrageous.

No Annie. It's the here and now that counts. I have no time for Blair - a snake and a liar - but Brown must take the responsibilty for causing unnecessary fatalities in Afghanistan. As must your present president. That these men play politics while men are dying for want of government commitment is outrageous.

Indeed it is, yet they seems to claim some degree of separation. Not only from afar, like Afghanistan, but also at home. In no case is anything 'their fault.'

Indeed it is, yet they seems to claim some degree of separation. Not only from afar, like Afghanistan, but also at home. In no case is anything 'their fault.'

How right you are! Too many modern day politicians are so obsessed with their own self importance and would never consider themselves less than perfect in any way, that it would never cross their mind that anything could be their fault. They actually believe the lies they spin!

Forum List

Back