A Pretty Morbid Question

uptownlivin90

Rebelious Youngin
Oct 16, 2009
Maryland
I've been watching the news non-stop keeping track of the disaster in Haiti, and it's got me thinking about the best way in situations like this (third world poverty stricken countries with little infrastructure, destroyed by a natural disaster) what is the best and most dignified and healthy way to dispose of decaying bodies?

Is there any alternative to these mass graves and should the US and first world countries begin thinking of new ways to dispose of bodies in situations where 50,000+ bodies might be laying in the street?

I was thinking of maybe a quick and safe form of cremation, a way that bodies can be quickly cremated and there ashes collected. It might be a sort of morbid question but this is really serious, especially because this IS Haiti. While mass graves are fine and dandy the Haitian people are in danger this hurricane season especially if land slides occur like they did in 2008 is it possible if the dead are not buried properly that dead bodies carrying diseases could turn up and contaminate the already sickly up water supply?

Just something I was thinking about. It's tragic how many lives have been lost, and it just begs the question how is this nation going to deal with it?

I think cremation would be the way to go. I have seen on the News where they have started to bury them in radom open spots out of respect.

cremation would seem the logical answer if they have them...burning the bodies in the open is also an option...a pit ...as inhumane as that seems they need to get the dead bodies out of the way..sadly that leaves no time for identification and for the family to deal with the dead...liming the bodies will buy some time

I agree about cremation being the way to go.

Any word from your family UpTown?

Immie

depends on the religious beliefs of the stricken people. some religions don't permit cremation.

I am thinking a large amount are catholic, and I can't remember if Catholics believe in cremation or not???

part of the problem jillian is you dont have time for the sorting out of those who want this or that

or perhaps you just dont have time to honor the dead at great cost to the living

They should have a couple of hospital ships sitting in the harbor by now. As well as massive supply ships filled with food and water.

They should also have refrigerated morgue ships where they could bring the bodies and identify them and cremate them if the family wants.

Immie

The family I have in Petionville (two uncles and three aunts seventeen cousins), unfortunetly no. My father's cousin who was born in America but went to Haiti two years ago has been making contact with my family, since she works for the US government, she had communication quickly. She's got kids back in the states so that's good. She's been trying to get from Port-au-Prince to Petionville to try and find our other relatives since Wednesday with no luck. Says there's no fuel and if you don't have a car (her's was a destroyed) you're shit out of luck. She says she's going to try until next week to get to Petionville, after that she's heading back to the states.

Immie

The family I have in Petionville (two uncles and three aunts seventeen cousins), unfortunetly no. My father's cousin who was born in America but went to Haiti two years ago has been making contact with my family, since she works for the US government, she had communication quickly. She's got kids back in the states so that's good. She's been trying to get from Port-au-Prince to Petionville to try and find our other relatives since Wednesday with no luck. Says there's no fuel and if you don't have a car (her's was a destroyed) you're shit out of luck. She says she's going to try until next week to get to Petionville, after that she's heading back to the states.

I will continue to keep them and you in my prayers as well as the people of Haiti.

Immie

There are actual plans for the disposal of bodies in America if there ever is a case of massive casualties on that scale. Check out your state's Emergency Operations Plan.

fire has to be very hot to burn a human body

Exactly my point. Cremating all those bodies might take longer and more effort then just burying them but I personally think that's the way to go. It's really sad when things like this happen because leaving all those bodies out there to try to identify them I mean that could cause even more deaths.

In Haiti though cremation is accepted I know this for a fact, but burial rights are considered neccesary. I'm not sure if the Catholic Church does mass burial rights?

cremation would seem the logical answer if they have them...burning the bodies in the open is also an option...a pit ...as inhumane as that seems they need to get the dead bodies out of the way..sadly that leaves no time for identification and for the family to deal with the dead...liming the bodies will buy some time

It's very sad, but I must agree. Disease is just around the corner, it's just heartrending.

I've been watching the news non-stop keeping track of the disaster in Haiti, and it's got me thinking about the best way in situations like this (third world poverty stricken countries with little infrastructure, destroyed by a natural disaster) what is the best and most dignified and healthy way to dispose of decaying bodies?

Is there any alternative to these mass graves and should the US and first world countries begin thinking of new ways to dispose of bodies in situations where 50,000+ bodies might be laying in the street?

I was thinking of maybe a quick and safe form of cremation, a way that bodies can be quickly cremated and there ashes collected. It might be a sort of morbid question but this is really serious, especially because this IS Haiti. While mass graves are fine and dandy the Haitian people are in danger this hurricane season especially if land slides occur like they did in 2008 is it possible if the dead are not buried properly that dead bodies carrying diseases could turn up and contaminate the already sickly up water supply?

Just something I was thinking about. It's tragic how many lives have been lost, and it just begs the question how is this nation going to deal with it?

Morbid and very neccessary. I sure have no answers for that question. Expecially in the circumstances we see right now in Haiti.

Wishing for the best concerning your family.

They're burning the bodies at this point, using tires.

I forsee that Haiti will be much cleaner when this ends. They use tires to ignite the bodies, then debris underneath the rubble catches fire, and fires run all over the place. Pray for anyone who is trapped and alive near where they're burning.

I think cremation would be the best way to dispose of the bodies too. Probably the most safest and biologically sound way too.

The sea has an unfortunate knack of taking bodies then just washing them back up on the beach.

Forum List

Back