A precedent for those arguing against reparations

From your first link: "The plaintiffs claim that the U.S. government has incorrectly accounted for the income from Indian trust assets, which are legally owned by the Department of the Interior, but held in trust for individual Native Americans (the beneficial owners)."

So it had nothing to do with reparations. Please try again.

You don't know what reparations are if this is what you think.

No -- he's completely right. The US govt PLUNDERED the Indian Trust Fund just the way they PLUNDERED the excess FICA taxes that were supposed to be in the "Soc Sec" Trust fund.. THAT'S the CLAIM...

From your 2nd link..

4. What is this lawsuit about?
The Settlement resolves claims that the federal government violated its trust duties to individual Indian trust beneficiaries. The claims fall into three areas:

• Historical Accounting Claims state that the federal government violated its trust duties by not providing a proper historical accounting relating to IIM accounts and other trust assets.
  • Trust Administration Claims include:
    • Fund Administration Claims state that the federal government violated its trust duties and mismanaged individual Indian trust funds.
    • Land Administration Claims state that the federal government violated its trust responsibilities for management of land, oil, natural gas, mineral, timber, grazing, and other resources.
The federal government denies all these claims. It says it has no legal responsibility for these claims and owes nothing to the Class Members.

The Fed govt put revenue from govt use of Indian Lands into a trust fund. This included Oil gas, forestry, mining, grazing operations. And they STOLE the actual money and put in IOUs. Indians making claims on those funds were routinely denied..

This IS NOT reparations for CONQUERING and stealing their lands.. If that's what you think -- you'll have to dive a LOT deeper for that connection..

Actually I don't have to dive very deep at all. And if you are saying Taz s right, you are a lost soul. But that's to be expected from you in these matters.

Can't help people who dont read and understand their own links. Maybe it's not YOUR fault. Maybe someone "in authority" SOLD you bum information. That court case was not a "discrimination or reparation" case. It was a BOOKKEEPING and govt fraud case. Show us where we're wrong. Don't try to just bellow and cast ad homs back..

The govt took it upon themselves to vet and administer all the "leases" that corporations and private entities MADE with the Indian tribes. Because the Fed govt HAS that power when dealing with a "foreign and sovereign entity". So all the payments and proceeds from those leases went thru the "trust fund". And the FEDS resolved the disputes between tribal leaders and the land holders and distributed payments out of those funds.

Who TOLD YOU this was "reparations" for past discrimination and abuse? We should all know who's lying about this..

I think we need to become better informed as citizens of this country. There are things people here argue against with no knowledge of what they are, or even if they have ever happened before. When blacks talk about reparations it is because a precedent has been set by this government whereby they have attempted to redress wrongs their policies have created. In this case we will look at will pertain to the General Allotment Act, better known as the Dawes Act of 1887. So as we will read the many sad responses detailing why blacks should not get reparations for things when we were not alive for and how whites today should not be paying for things they did not do, realize that in 2009 the government of this country decided you would be paying Native Americans for something that happened 122 years after the fact and that none of you were alive when the Dawes Act was passed. But you are paying for it.

Definition of reparation
1 a : a repairing or keeping in repair
b reparations plural : repairs
2 a : the act of making amends, offering expiation, or giving satisfaction for a wrong or injury
b : something done or given as amends or satisfaction
3 : the payment of damages : indemnification; specifically : compensation in money or materials payable by a defeated nation for damages to or expenditures sustained by another nation as a result of hostilities with the defeated nation —usually used in plural

You really need to learn to read what is posted. I'm talking about reparations. For example:

Agent Orange Lawsuits and Reparations

Some lawsuits have accused chemical companies of war crimes for selling Agent Orange to the military. These lawsuits generally claim that companies such as Dow, Monsanto, Hercules and Diamond Shamrock knew more than they revealed at the time about the dangers of the herbicide. In 1984, a massive class-action lawsuit was settled in U.S. court. Seven U.S. companies agreed to pay a total of $180 million to 291,000 people, mostly Vietnam War veterans [source: Glaberson]. The final settlement, including interest, was around $240 million [source: AP].

How Agent Orange Worked

You racists want so badly to talk your stupid shit that you miss facts. You guys don't know how much your asses are paying in reparations but you damn sure don't want blacks to get any. That's because you are racsts.
Nobody deserves reparations, I have no control over what the government decided to give the Native Americans. I don't believe they deserve reparations either

I think we need to become better informed as citizens of this country. There are things people here argue against with no knowledge of what they are, or even if they have ever happened before. When blacks talk about reparations it is because a precedent has been set by this government whereby they have attempted to redress wrongs their policies have created. In this case we will look at will pertain to the General Allotment Act, better known as the Dawes Act of 1887. So as we will read the many sad responses detailing why blacks should not get reparations for things when we were not alive for and how whites today should not be paid for things they did not do, realize that in 2009 the government of this country decided you would be paying Native Americans for something that happened 122 years after the fact and that none of you were alive when the Dawes Act was passed. But you are paying for it.

Personally I feel the awarded amount was not enough. But I'm using YOUR rhetoric so that you understand.

Cobell v. Salazar - Wikipedia
Cobell v. Salazar Class Action Website.
How the Cobell Case Impacted Indian Land Policies
Cobell v. Salazar Class Action Website
Cobell v. Salazar
cobell v. salazar - Yahoo Search Results

So? Send me your address, your name and a amount that you believe that I owe you...please divide it by a factor 37 million since that is how many black folks live in the USA.

My suggestion to you is to stop pissing and moaning about how you believe that those that suffered the yoke of slavery (that ended 155 years ago) entitles you and those of your ilk to even more welfare and entitlements. My great grandfather was a full blooded Natchez native American on my father's side from Alabama and I haven't received diddly squat in reparations nor have I asked for any. Get off of your fat ass and make your own way instead of wallowing in victimhood. The LBJ "War on Poverty" has only created generations of welfare seekers. The world does not owe you a "giving".

My suggestion to you is: shut up and know that whites are where they are only because of legislation.

Because you are not full blooded Natchez therefore you can't ask for reparations. So get better informed before you try arguing with me. You see, I did make my own way. It started with my degrees and continues now with 36 years of research on these matters.
Would that mean only full blooded blacks descended from slaves would be eligible?

The violations blacks would be asking reparations for go way past the days of slavery.
Thst is extremely open ended. Only full blacks?
LOL How many "full blacks" are there that decended from slaves?

Never gonna happen.

Get a life.
I had asked about women, who were treated like 2nd class citizens, the response was something stupid like, if the woman got divorced she got alimony, which was reparations. I don't expect reparations for women being denied advancement in life. I don't expect reparations for being Irish, they were treated like shit and held captive. Whether or not the Irish were treated as bad is irrelevant, they were oppressed. Everyone today should work and earn what they want and stop whining and expecting handouts.

If you thought about this with some common sense instead of race baited thinking, you would see this is the perfect solution. If blacks are awarded reparations and we piss it away with no improvements, we have nothing more to complain about as whites would have done all they could do to make up for the wrongs done..

Unless angry whites decide to burn down prosperous black communities and projects again.
Whites today have nothing to do with the wrongs committed in the past. While it is wrong, being racist isn't a crime, so just because someone doesn't like you for your skin color, you don't deserve compensation. Blacks today have the same opportunity as everyone else to succeed.

So the Op wants a lawsuit to give out funds to all blacks in this country because once upon a time their was slavery and a War.............LOL

The Indian case was about the Federal Gov't taking lands that under TREATY were allocated to the Indian Tribes.........Apples to Oranges OP.
True, there has been slavery worldwide throughout history, why doesn't he fight for reparations from the country his ancestors came from?

So the Op wants a lawsuit to give out funds to all blacks in this country because once upon a time their was slavery and a War.............LOL

The Indian case was about the Federal Gov't taking lands that under TREATY were allocated to the Indian Tribes.........Apples to Oranges OP.
True, there has been slavery worldwide throughout history, why doesn't he fight for reparations from the country his ancestors came from?
Because they'd laugh at him. LOL

Forum List

Back