A Pre-Remedial on Dunkirk

Harding? What about Hoover, or does your selective memory have a blank on the man that was in office during the depression not count?

Did you imagine that simply quoting his name....'Harding'...somehow refutes the facts: the turned a similar recession to Roosevelt's around in about 18 months.

Gads. you're a dunce.

Wanna challenge me on that statement about Harding?
Why did the turn around not happen during the 4 years of Hoover?

Hoover didn't follow Harding's solutions.

Now...the CliffNotes:

1. The actions of the federal reserve
2. The sky-high Smoot-Hawley Tariff
3. The actions of Hoover that were continued by Roosevlet
4. And, mainly, the abject ineptitude of Roosevelt.
a. In 1935, the Brookings Institution (left-leaning) delivered a 900-page report on the New Deal and the National Recovery Administration, concluding that “ on the whole it retarded recovery.”
http://www.aei.org/article/26390

See why you should have stayed in school beyond the third grade????

But what about Hoover? He was president during 4 years of the depression, yet the do nothing policy did nothing to alleviate the Great Depression...Hoover did nothing until public outcry forced his hand, and all he could do was sign off on a disastrous tariff policy..Much like Trump wants to do...

Oh, let me guess, another FDR bashing thread, posted with the certain knowledge every single one of the last 10,000 of them failed miserably? Right.
She's upset that the GOP sucked so bad they caused the great depression and could do nothing to resolve it, and FDR came to the rescue and was so popular he won 4 terms as president cause no GOP candidate was ever good enough to take his place...

The Republican solution was for the rich to hide out on their private estates, hide behind private armies, and scream for the Feds to use the military to shoot down all those uppity peasants who objected to doing their duty by peacefully starving to death.

You again?

OK, ok.....stop begging....you can have an opportunity too.....

See if there are any errors in this view of the Depression....the Roosevelt Depression

1. Republican Harding faces as serious a recession as Roosevelt did, and solved it in a year and a half.

2. Roosevelt took a recession and expanded it into a decade long Depression.

3. For comparison:
a. While "The Depression" is probably the only economic downturn ever studied in government schools, few ever speak of any depressions or recessions prior to the "Great Depression."
Know how many there were?
Over thirty. And the average length was a couple of years.
List of recessions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b. "The Great Depression (1929-39) was the deepest and longest-lasting economic downturn in the history of the Western industrialized world. In the United States, ..."The Great Depression - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

OK....so maybe Franklin Roosevelt was actually trying to end the depression.....never mind that he made it last longer, by a multiple of five, from most previous depressions/recessions.....
It sure was a good excuse for overturning the Constitution.

4. “We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong…somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises…I say after eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started…And an enormous debt to boot!”
Morgenthau Diary, May 9, 1939, Franklin Roosevelt Presidential Library

Now....focus like a laser....since you couldn't deny anything I posted about Dunkirk.....this is your big opportunity to to defend Roosevelt....

Ready....

GO......
Dunkirk has nothing to do with what Germany said about FDR in the 1930's..

"Dunkirk has nothing to do with what Germany said about FDR in the 1930's.."

Much thanks for getting back on topic!

Too bad you're such a dunce.

1. Glad you've admitted that Hitler and Roosevelt were pals in the 30's.

2. Of course Hitler's hopes of continued close relations with FDR would continue, and that is one reason why he allowed the British troops to escape Dunkirk.

German and English are similar languages, and German-Americans are the largest of ancestry groups in this nation, America....and still is.

Further, the rulers of England and Germany have often been of each other's extraction.

See the potential 'bondship'?

So did Hitler.

3. He imagined that he could convince England, and ultimately the United Stated to join him in a battle with this erstwhile ally, Bolshevik Russia.

See "The Halder War Diary 1939-1942,
by Charles Burdick (Editor), Hans-Adolf Jacobsen (Editor)

"Franz Halder (30 June 1884 – 2 April 1972) was a German general and the chief of staff of the Oberkommando des Heeres (OKH, Army High Command) from 1938 until September 1942, when he was dismissed after frequent disagreements with Adolf Hitler. "
Franz Halder - Wikipedia

4. The halt of German armor that allowed the retreat of the Allies was Hitler's 'good faith' offer to Churchill.
He needed peace on the west so he could engage Stalin in the East.

You're not too stupid to understand that........are you?

Oh, let me guess, another FDR bashing thread, posted with the certain knowledge every single one of the last 10,000 of them failed miserably? Right.
She's upset that the GOP sucked so bad they caused the great depression and could do nothing to resolve it, and FDR came to the rescue and was so popular he won 4 terms as president cause no GOP candidate was ever good enough to take his place...

"She's upset...."

Where do you find any 'upset'?

I simply do my job: reveal you as the lying, uneducated, moron that you have always been.

And, I enjoy doing it.

Oh....and the Roosevelt Depression?

1. Republican Harding faces as serious a recession as Roosevelt did, and solved it in a year and a half.

3. For comparison:
a. While "The Depression" is probably the only economic downturn ever studied in government schools, few ever speak of any depressions or recessions prior to the "Great Depression."

b. "The Great Depression (1929-39) was the deepest and longest-lasting economic downturn in the history of the Western industrialized world. In the United States, ..."The Great Depression - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

OK....so maybe Franklin Roosevelt was actually trying to end the depression.....never mind that he made it last longer, by a multiple of five, from most previous depressions/recessions.....

4. “We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong…somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises…I say after eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started…And an enormous debt to boot!”

And, once again....you've been proven a failure, and I......100% accurate, true and correct.

How ya' like dat, boooyyyyyeeeeeee??????
Calvin ignored the first warning signs and Hoover was so daft he didn't know what to do...

Pllleeeeezzzz....don't pretend you know anything about the era....in fact, anything at all.

Coolidge gave America the 'Roaring Twenties'....

The 1920s were an age of dramatic social and political change. For the first time, more Americans lived in cities than on farms. The nation’s total wealth more than doubled between 1920 and 1929, and this economic growth swept many Americans into an affluent but unfamiliar “consumer society.” The Roaring Twenties - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

The 1920s earned their moniker—the "Roaring Twenties"—through the decade's real and sustained prosperity, dizzying technological advancements, and lively culture. The decade marked the flourishing of the modern mass-production, mass-consumption economy, which delivered fantastic profits to investors while also raising the living standard of the urban middle- and working-class. Economy in The 1920s

A tide of economic and social change swept across the country in the 1920s. Nicknames for the decade, such as “the Jazz Age” or “the Roaring Twenties,” convey something of the excitement and the changes in social conventions that were taking place at the time. As the economy boomed, wages rose for most Americans and prices fell, resulting in a higher standard of living and a dramatic increase in consumer consumption.... The American economy's phenomenal growth rate during the '20s...." A New Society: Economic & Social Change

FDR....the longest economic downturn in America history.....and a horde of know-nothing defenders.....you.
Kewl Cal ignored the deflation of farm prices.. the first sign of the depression and Hoover followed the do nothing policies of Cal, which lost the GOP the federal govt. of which they have never recovered until last fall....

Coolidge gave America the 'Roaring Twenties'....

The 1920s were an age of dramatic social and political change. For the first time, more Americans lived in cities than on farms. The nation’s total wealth more than doubled between 1920 and 1929, and this economic growth swept many Americans into an affluent but unfamiliar “consumer society.” The Roaring Twenties - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

The 1920s earned their moniker—the "Roaring Twenties"—through the decade's real and sustained prosperity, dizzying technological advancements, and lively culture. The decade marked the flourishing of the modern mass-production, mass-consumption economy, which delivered fantastic profits to investors while also raising the living standard of the urban middle- and working-class. Economy in The 1920s

A tide of economic and social change swept across the country in the 1920s. Nicknames for the decade, such as “the Jazz Age” or “the Roaring Twenties,” convey something of the excitement and the changes in social conventions that were taking place at the time. As the economy boomed, wages rose for most Americans and prices fell, resulting in a higher standard of living and a dramatic increase in consumer consumption.... The American economy's phenomenal growth rate during the '20s...." A New Society: Economic & Social Change

But what about Hoover? He was president during 4 years of the depression, yet the do nothing policy did nothing to alleviate the Great Depression...Hoover did nothing until public outcry forced his hand, and all he could do was sign off on a disastrous tariff policy..Much like Trump wants to do...

Sooo...your point is that Roosevelt was even more inept than Hoover???

OK.

I never defended Hoover.

Back to Dunkirk???

".Much like Trump wants to do..."

So....we agree.....the best you can do to shield the fraud, Roosevelt, is talk about anyone else but him?

Reveals that you have no defense for him, doesn't it.

The Republican solution was for the rich to hide out on their private estates, hide behind private armies, and scream for the Feds to use the military to shoot down all those uppity peasants who objected to doing their duty by peacefully starving to death.

You again?

See if there are any errors in this view of the Depression....the Roosevelt Depression

3. For comparison:

Now....focus like a laser....since you couldn't deny anything I posted about Dunkirk.....this is your big opportunity to to defend Roosevelt....

Ready....

GO......

2. Of course Hitler's hopes of continued close relations with FDR would continue, and that is one reason why he allowed the British troops to escape Dunkirk.

German and English are similar languages, and German-Americans are the largest of ancestry groups in this nation, America....and still is.

Further, the rulers of England and Germany have often been of each other's extraction.

So did Hitler.

3. He imagined that he could convince England, and ultimately the United Stated to join him in a battle with this erstwhile ally, Bolshevik Russia.

"Franz Halder (30 June 1884 – 2 April 1972) was a German general and the chief of staff of the Oberkommando des Heeres (OKH, Army High Command) from 1938 until September 1942, when he was dismissed after frequent disagreements with Adolf Hitler. "
Franz Halder - Wikipedia

4. The halt of German armor that allowed the retreat of the Allies was Hitler's 'good faith' offer to Churchill.

"it's always good to let a broken army return home to show the civilian population what a beating they've had" ~Hitler

So....we agree.....the best you can do to shield the fraud, Roosevelt, is talk about anyone else but him?

His re-election by the states and masses prove what he was doing was in the best interest of the voter..

Here is an interesting visual: imagine a triple line of the unemployed, three across, consisting of those unemployed under Hoover, in 1931. The line would have gone from Los Angeles, across the country, to the border of Maine.

What effect did Roosevelt have on the line?

Well, eight years later, in 1939, the length of the line would have gone further, from the Maine border, south to Boston, then on to New York City, then to Philadelphia, on to Washington, D.C.- and finally, into Virginia.
Folsom, "New Deal or Raw Deal"

Great job, Roosevelt!

Think Folsom was wrong?

Check it out at the US Bureau of the Census, 'Historical Statistics of the United States: Colonial Times to 1970, I-126 and Unemployment Statistics during the Great Depression

You again?

3. For comparison:

Ready....

GO......

So did Hitler.

Franz Halder - Wikipedia

"it's always good to let a broken army return home to show the civilian population what a beating they've had" ~Hitler

Let's get you on record: you do not understand the benefit to Hitler to have no enemy to the rear when he attacked Stalin in the East.

That's your position?

His re-election by the states and masses prove what he was doing was in the best interest of the voter..

Now...watch me smash another custard pie in your kisser:

Soooo....the electorate always makes the right decision?

1. On March 12, 1938, Hitler’s troops rolled over the border from Germany, into Austria. This was the Anschluss, the annexation of Austria into Greater Germany. Three days later, Hitler entered Vienna, greeted by an enthusiastic crowd of up to one million people. A plebiscite was held in less than a month, and 99.7% of Austrians voted to join the Third Reich.

Go ahead...you set 'em up, I knock 'em down!

Hey!

I gave you this second chance.....any you seem to have slithered off, back under the rock you came from.....

3. For comparison:

I want a note from home on why you wouldn't do your homework.

1. On March 12, 1938, Hitler’s troops rolled over the border from Germany, into Austria. This was the Anschluss, the annexation of Austria into Greater Germany. Three days later, Hitler entered Vienna, greeted by an enthusiastic crowd of up to one million people. A plebiscite was held in less than a month, and 99.7% of Austrians voted to join the Third Reich.

And the German people elected Hitler....He did bring renewed economic growth and national pride to a demoralized people...

And the German people elected Hitler....He did bring renewed economic growth and national pride to a demoralized people...

Sooo....how would you rather be greeted, "Happy New Year"....or 'Sieg Heil!'???

I didn't know I was to be greeted at all...

I didn't know I was to be greeted at all...

How about dismissed?

The well researched book "In the Garden of the Beasts" by Erik Larson (2011) offers an inside look at the life and family of the American Ambassador to Berlin (appointed by FDR) before and up to WW2. FDR came into power roughly the same time as Hitler did in Germany. FDR was well aware of the atrocities committed by the Nazi regime but the U.S was entrenched in a man killing bodies in ditches "great Depression" for FDR's first two terms and the administration wasn't interested in what happened in Germany except to pester the Ambassador to seek the "reparations" owed to the U.S. after the Great War.

Kewl Cal ignored the deflation of farm prices.. the first sign of the depression and Hoover followed the do nothing policies of Cal, which lost the GOP the federal govt. of which they have never recovered until last fall....

Not only that, but also the downturn in construction, the high consumer debt levels versus wages that were still low, etc., etc., ; sound familiar? ... The Depression for for the real economy set in about 1927, and freight shipments on the railroads dropped steadily from then on, a clear sign of diminishing consumer spending in the real economy. Add to this the massive amounts of cash the financial sector sucked out of the real economy to chase pyramid schemes and Ponzi schemes, the only two financial operations Wall Street ever actually runs, until they inevitably crash and have to be bailed out about every 5 to 7 years, banks and corporations poured their profits into the money markets loaning money to the various speculators buying stocks and bonds on margin, 50% margins for 'conservative' gamblers, as little as10% for the bigger players, because the short term interest rates on those loans were so high it made no sense to re-invest the money in the real economy, not to mention the so-called 'boom' didn't benefit the entire country or all economic sectors equally, especially farmers, in a country that was still around 50% rural and depended on agriculture, which didn't prosper from the 'boom' at all.

Even those 'cheap Model T Fords' required most of those buying them to finance them by borrowing; few had the means to buy one outright. The middle class made up only around 5% or so of the country then, and isn't much larger now for that matter. It's kind of like the chicken or the egg conundrum, deciding when and where the stock market sucked up so much capital it choked itself to death on it and the real economy with it. We see a similar situation in every 'boom' since then, with the top 1% sitting on much cash and nowhere to put it while the working class and lower middle classes are slowly strangled. When the money isn't redistributed and only largely moves only in one direction, all the babbling about 'free markets' and other simple minded ideological nonsense becomes ludicrous and silly.

Conservatives knew only one way to fight a depression and that was to balance the budget.

Forum List

Back