A Postal Service bailout?

The postal service will come to my house in NJ pick up a letter then deliver that letter within a week to my brothers house in California for a total of 44 cents

I would not deliver a letter to the other side of town for44 cents

Justice Department Announces Largest Health Care Fraud Settlement in its History

Pfizer To Pay $2.3 Billion For Fraudulent Marketing

WASHINGTON – American pharmaceutical giant Pfizer Inc. and its subsidiary Pharmacia & Upjohn Company Inc. (hereinafter together “Pfizer”) have agreed to pay $2.3 billion, the largest health care fraud settlement in the history of the Department of Justice, to resolve criminal and civil liability arising from the illegal promotion of certain pharmaceutical products, the Justice Department announced today.\hhs security
This is private business getting caught just once by the justice department!That's 2.3 Billion

Couple that with this:

Paid to do nothing

11,000-plus postal workers idle at any given time
By GREGG CARLSTROM
September 07, 2009

The U.S. Postal Service, struggling with a massive deficit caused by plummeting mail volume, spends more than a million dollars each week to pay thousands of employees to sit in empty rooms and do nothing.

It’s a practice called “standby time,” and it has existed for years — but postal employees say it was rarely used until this year. Now, postal officials say, the agency is averaging about 45,000 hours of standby time every week — the equivalent of having 1,125 full-time employees sitting idle, at a cost of more than $50 million per year.

<snip>

The Postal Service&#8217;s collective bargaining agreement with APWU includes a no-layoff clause for employees with more than six years on the job. It also includes a guarantee of eight hours&#8217; pay for eight hours&#8217; work.

<snip>

So they sit &#8212; some for a few hours, others for entire shifts. Postal union officials estimate some 15,000 employees have spent time on standby this year.

Paid to do nothing - Federal news, government operations, agency management, pay & benefits - FederalTimes.com

Last edited:
Try mailing a first class letter usig FEDEX and get back to me with what it costs, would ja?

The Least, First
Monte Asbury&#8217;s blog

Other than the military, can you name 10 things that the government has done really well, better than the private sector?

It&#8217;s an important question, for skepticism toward all government (rather than reform of bad government) is not only common, but at the root of a couple of major political outlooks. And because it&#8217;s important, it seemed worth a post of its own.

Here&#8217;s my quick response. Maybe you can do better:

1. The FAA. Crashes are a rarity here, thanks to equipment safety tests and massively successful air flight controlling.

2. Medicaid: private sector insurance companies make money by ditching their customers when they get very sick. Medicaid picks up the castoffs.

3. Social Security: What if Mr. Bush had succeeded in privatizing SS before the markets crashed? Can you imagine how many old people would be working at WalMart, since their SS would have been cut in half? And did you know that before SS, thousands of older Americans simply starved to death?

4. SCHIP: Healthcare insurance for children who would not otherwise have it &#8211; enormously preventive of school absence, long-term illness, loss of physical and mental development.

5. The CDC: How do we know that the virulence of H1N1 is less than expected? Who is telling the world that US pork is safe to eat? How do we know whether an illness is H1N1 or not? It&#8217;s all the CDC.

6. School hot lunch programs: For many children, their only serious nutrition all day every day. What industry would do it?

7. The Soil Conservation Service: though bureaucratic, there is no private industry comparable. How vastly different would America be without the wetlands your dad and a thousand like him have created.

8. Head Start: kids from homes that have seriously dysfunctional emotional and learning environments have benefited enormously.

9. The Department of Motor Vehicles: how many mistakes have you had on your car registrations or titles?

10. E911 commissions: how long does it take an ambulance or fire truck to reach you if a child who can call 911 can&#8217;t tell the operator an address?

11. University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics &#8211; known around the world for ground-breaking medical research.

12. Open meetings laws for city, county, and state government office &#8211; nothing like it at all in the private sector. But if public officials make decisions without notifying us, they can get in big trouble.

13. Free public libraries &#8211; which most nations simply don&#8217;t have
So much for that!

95% of the time people get delayed at the DMV is their own fault.They lie, fill out the wrong paperwork ect
try to cheat. Over 30years working with the DMV and never had a a single problem!

The postal service will come to my house in NJ pick up a letter then deliver that letter within a week to my brothers house in California for a total of 44 cents

I was just going to say ssomething like that.

Thanks for saving me some typing!

I can't even count the number of times I have asked the question... "Name something the government has run well." and the standard answer is the postal service.....Well.....

A Postal Service bailout? - David Rogers - POLITICO.com

I hear there's rumblings about bailing out newspapers too...

Maybe we should make a list of all the industries that the gubmint DOESN'T want to bail out / own...

The Least, First
Monte Asbury’s blog

Other than the military, can you name 10 things that the government has done really well, better than the private sector?

It’s an important question, for skepticism toward all government (rather than reform of bad government) is not only common, but at the root of a couple of major political outlooks. And because it’s important, it seemed worth a post of its own.

Here’s my quick response. Maybe you can do better:

1. The FAA. Crashes are a rarity here, thanks to equipment safety tests and massively successful air flight controlling.
Not a massive social program (which is what most are talking about within context of gov=bad). Also done in conjuction with massive private sector help.

2. Medicaid: private sector insurance companies make money by ditching their customers when they get very sick. Medicaid picks up the castoffs.
Rife with fraud and mismanagement, great example.

3. Social Security: What if Mr. Bush had succeeded in privatizing SS before the markets crashed? Can you imagine how many old people would be working at WalMart, since their SS would have been cut in half? And did you know that before SS, thousands of older Americans simply starved to death?
Going broke, anoughther great example.

4. SCHIP: Healthcare insurance for children who would not otherwise have it – enormously preventive of school absence, long-term illness, loss of physical and mental development.
Limited, again not a massive endeavor.

5. The CDC: How do we know that the virulence of H1N1 is less than expected? Who is telling the world that US pork is safe to eat? How do we know whether an illness is H1N1 or not? It’s all the CDC.
Government/private sector collaboration.

6. School hot lunch programs: For many children, their only serious nutrition all day every day. What industry would do it?
Once again, relatively small program and many private sector companies donate or provide these services in one form or another. Lets not forget the secular and religious charities the generally do a much better job of providing food for hungry people

7. The Soil Conservation Service: though bureaucratic, there is no private industry comparable. How vastly different would America be without the wetlands your dad and a thousand like him have created.
Again, government/private sector.

8. Head Start: kids from homes that have seriously dysfunctional emotional and learning environments have benefited enormously.
Small program

9. The Department of Motor Vehicles: how many mistakes have you had on your car registrations or titles?
State, not federal and just recently I renewed my registration online, Aug 14th, still haven't recieved it. They are resending again.

10. E911 commissions: how long does it take an ambulance or fire truck to reach you if a child who can call 911 can’t tell the operator an address?
In DC, 20 to 40 minutes and the station is two blocks from your house.

11. University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics – known around the world for ground-breaking medical research.
Universities are now federal government entities??

12. Open meetings laws for city, county, and state government office – nothing like it at all in the private sector. But if public officials make decisions without notifying us, they can get in big trouble.
Why would the private sector tell their competitors what they are doing before they do it? :cuckoo:

13. Free public libraries – which most nations simply don’t have
So much for that!
State and local. In many areas some are being closed due to lack of funding.

Nice try at the examples but most don't fit, many are collaborations with private sector and the major ones mentioned are essentially massive failures due to mismanagement, waste and fraud.

Going Broke= means absolutely nothing. Programs are not making a profit and it's not really important.They are treasured by the American people. if they don'y make money, so what!
Most of the thievery in Social Security and Medicare are Private Companies raping the system.

Going Broke= means absolutely nothing. Programs are not making a profit and it's not really important.They are treasured by the American people. if they don'y make money, so what!
Most of the thievery in Social Security and Medicare are Private Companies raping the system.

:eusa_eh: You've got to be kidding me! Are you truly that obtuse?
(No proper book learnin', no fetchin' up).

Why bring facts into this?

Forum List

Back