A Positive Look at Islam

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Sky Dancer, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    My contribution is loving the Sufi poets. Sufism is the mystical side of Islam. I'm close to a Sufi, who mentored me in my counseling practice.

Since we have at least six or seven Islam bashing threads here is an opportunity to look on the positive side.

1.5 billion people find something uplifting about Islam as a religion. Here is an article about Islam in Indonesia.
    http://www.pbs.org/weta/crossroads/about/show_indonesia.html

Can you?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. Hister

Hister BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Islam=Sharia law=Barbaric

3. THE LIGHT

THE LIGHT Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Under His Wings in the Shadow of the Almighty!
    Ratings:
    +301
    While we are at it maybe we can look at the posative side of Hitler too? Just because several million people found something uplifting about Nazism doesn't mean that it was a good thing.

I know, I shouldn't be mean to all Nazis because I am sure most were "moderate" Nazis.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Hister

Hister BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    We could also look at the positive side of christianity, just because all priests are pedophiles doesn't mean all catholics are pedophiles. Or does it?

5. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Three hysterical posts to a thread meant to highlight the uplifting side of Islam. Some people will never hear a message of Godliness or peace, no matter how eloquently spoken, because they fear the speaker.

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,930
    Her fringe element of Islam is just that a very small fringe element. And even they believe Islam should be the only religion and only Government, they just take the long view and believe Islam will out last all the other religions.

7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Are you sure that 1.5 billion people think Islam is uplifting? Couldn't some of them simply think that Islam is a means to grab power over others? And some think that Islam is not supposed to be uplifting at all, because it is simply about submission?

Even in Indonesia Muslims seem to find things to kill people over.

Jakarta, Indonesia: Al Qaeda group claims repsonsibility for bombings - Nachrichten English-News - WELT ONLINE

I would love to be positive about Islam, but it will not throw away its barbaric practice of killing people who disagree with it, including people like your Sufi friend. Maybe you should sit down and ask him how Sufism became a part of Islam.

The Hidden History of the Sufi

8. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

I am very sure men find islam very uplifting. It is a world catered to their every whim.

There are many things about middle eastern culture that i find VERY uplifting. ilsam is NOT one of them.

9. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

Just a side, personal experience of indonesian muslims and islam.

I am on many froums, one of them has a girl from indonesia that i like very much. Every single time she turns on her compouter, comes into chat, or participates in the threads, she puts her life in danger.

How is that for uplifting indo. islam?

10. Barb

Barb Carpe Scrotum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    But Arab women are working, just as Western women had to work, towards a better day for their sisters.

Fatema Mernissi:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Islam-Democracy-Fear-Modern-World/dp/0738207454]Amazon.com: Islam and Democracy: Fear of the Modern World (9780738207452): Fatima Mernissi, Fatema Mernissi: Books[/ame]
    If you're ever lucky enough to read this book of hers, read the last chapter first.

Thirty birds (women all) of thousands made it to see the Simorgh, in the poem this man (Attar) wrote, called Mantiq al-tayr (The Conference of the Birds), and they see in each other at last, and in themselves, our universality, our connection to and with each other.

I wish I had access to my files. Sky makes a good point about Sufi. People who denigrate Islam as a whole because of the most public and publicized actions of a few, as well as the cherry-picked passages of the Qur'an that the young(ish) generations both west and east use as "fundamental" (ist) teachings ignore more beneficial histories that encouraged discussion and challenge to current understanding of the edicts of Islam.

As if
    As if Christianity would, or has, unhindered by secular constraint, be, or been, any less rapacious in its pursuit of dominance over societies.
    And yes, as if there weren't any instances of forced atheism doing the same.