A portrait of the african mind....mass delusion

MacTheKnife

Gold Member
Jul 20, 2018
Africa is a great repository of what could be called archeology of the human mind. Beliefs and superstitions that have largely disappeared elsewhere are still common, and occasionally make their way into brief newspaper accounts of witches being burned in South Africa, “penis snatchers” in Nigeria, and magical cures for AIDS in Ivory Coast. Only rarely does this sort of thing get serious book-length treatment, which makes Heike Behrend’s account of the Holy Spirit movement in Uganda so welcome. Prof. Behrend, who teaches anthropology at the University of Cologne in Germany, writes in a disjointed, jargon-bound way, but she has given us as full a picture as we are likely to get of a fascinating contemporary example of mass delusion.

Heike Behrend, Alice Lakwena & the Holy Spirits, Translated by Mitch Cohen, Ohio University Press, 1999

A Portrait of the African Mind - American Renaissance

Witch-doctor-of-the-Shona-people-close-to-Great-Zimbabwe-Zimbabwe..jpg

Their beliefs may seem wacky, but I bet they would think the idea that you can nail a guy to a cross to be saved is pretty wacky.

Different stokes for different folks.

"The african [sic} mind" huh. Holy SHIT, SMH

Say, don't they even have capital letters in Russian?

'For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written [the reference is to Isaiah 29], “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will thwart.”

Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.'

Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 1 - King James Version

Last edited:
'For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written [the reference is to Isaiah 29], “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will thwart.”

Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.'

Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 1 - King James Version

Yeah, that’s a really good point. So you’re saying it’s all bullshit, right?

Forum List

Back