A philosophical question of sorts regarding personhood..

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JBeukema, Jun 23, 2009.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Beyond Belief: Science, Reason, Religion & Survival > Session 4

Fast-forward to ~45:00

I forward his question, which I paraphrase here:

A patient had the connection severed between the hemispheres of the brain. Each hemisphere operated (m,ore or less) independently of the other, ans they were able to communicate w/ each as a separate 'person'. Now, is each hemisphere, apparently with its own consciousness, a separate and distinct 'person'? If so, is each one half of the original person- does the original person cease to exist as these two new persons come to be?

discuss...

2. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,785
    God, realizing that humans were thinking of limiting population growth, came up with the boneheaded idea of putting two souls into one body.

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,970
    brain hemies have been separated with no ill effects in cases of sever seizures. i did not watch the entire conference video of one hour and 48 minutes. his theories have major opponents in the science world. i do not even begin to pretend to understand the concepts these men are addressing....how to prove or disprove the soul by the mechanics of the brain? which of course is based on the premise that the soul is the brain...that has never been proven...or that we are not aware of anything really and that our reality is made up of past experiences and not the here and now....or simply that we have no reality ...only a conscious and non couscious state..

seems to me...its like settling the arguement...was joan of arc mad or a young woman annointed by her god to lead her people...was she insane hearing voices or divine? we have so little concept of the brain...the mechanics much less what they mean...many say the heart...contains the soul..i believe all men/women have souls...some are simply less developed than others...does that mean that their brains are not developed...no ...you have highly intell. people who are psychos...as if a disconnect between the brain and the soul or as this speaker Stuart Hameroff would want you to believe...a malfunction of the brain which is the soul. but again that is assuming that mankind is born with or has "kind" souls vs "evil" souls. so doesnt it all come right back to hoodoo?

4. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,970
    and you just feel free to explain the "string" theory next time....

5. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    SB... fast-forward to 45 minutes in... you should be watching an Indian guy, not the bald White guy at the beginning...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I'd say the question is based on the erroneous assumption that a person exists as unique thing with an immutable identity(soul?).

Assuming that every change to the brain creates a person slightly different than what it was before, I'd say people are EVENTS, more than individuals with a permanent personality.

Who among is is really the same person we were ten or twenty years ago?

In fact, if we know anyone who is the same person they were ten or twenty years ago, we probably think of those people as retarded or soemthing, don't we?

7. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,970
    now you tell me that...fast forward 45 minutes? that would have been nice to know..then i could have been on topic....fuck you....i am too high for this lol

8. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,970
    but ed has a good point...why are there people who have overcome the "god gene"

9. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Did you read the OP?

10. jan

jan Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Perhaps they've devolved rather than evolved?

In other words...maybe they didn't "overcome", but rather they haven't arrived in the first place.