A philosophical question of sorts regarding personhood..

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Beyond Belief: Science, Reason, Religion & Survival > Session 4

Fast-forward to ~45:00

I forward his question, which I paraphrase here:

A patient had the connection severed between the hemispheres of the brain. Each hemisphere operated (m,ore or less) independently of the other, ans they were able to communicate w/ each as a separate 'person'. Now, is each hemisphere, apparently with its own consciousness, a separate and distinct 'person'? If so, is each one half of the original person- does the original person cease to exist as these two new persons come to be?

discuss...

God, realizing that humans were thinking of limiting population growth, came up with the boneheaded idea of putting two souls into one body.

brain hemies have been separated with no ill effects in cases of sever seizures. i did not watch the entire conference video of one hour and 48 minutes. his theories have major opponents in the science world. i do not even begin to pretend to understand the concepts these men are addressing....how to prove or disprove the soul by the mechanics of the brain? which of course is based on the premise that the soul is the brain...that has never been proven...or that we are not aware of anything really and that our reality is made up of past experiences and not the here and now....or simply that we have no reality ...only a conscious and non couscious state..

seems to me...its like settling the arguement...was joan of arc mad or a young woman annointed by her god to lead her people...was she insane hearing voices or divine? we have so little concept of the brain...the mechanics much less what they mean...many say the heart...contains the soul..i believe all men/women have souls...some are simply less developed than others...does that mean that their brains are not developed...no ...you have highly intell. people who are psychos...as if a disconnect between the brain and the soul or as this speaker Stuart Hameroff would want you to believe...a malfunction of the brain which is the soul. but again that is assuming that mankind is born with or has "kind" souls vs "evil" souls. so doesnt it all come right back to hoodoo?

• Banned
SB... fast-forward to 45 minutes in... you should be watching an Indian guy, not the bald White guy at the beginning...

Last edited:

A patient had the connection severed between the hemispheres of the brain. Each hemisphere operated (m,ore or less) independently of the other, ans they were able to communicate w/ each as a separate 'person'. Now, is each hemisphere, apparently with its own consciousness, a separate and distinct 'person'? If so, is each one half of the original person- does the original person cease to exist as these two new persons come to be?

discuss...

I'd say the question is based on the erroneous assumption that a person exists as unique thing with an immutable identity(soul?).

Assuming that every change to the brain creates a person slightly different than what it was before, I'd say people are EVENTS, more than individuals with a permanent personality.

Who among is is really the same person we were ten or twenty years ago?

In fact, if we know anyone who is the same person they were ten or twenty years ago, we probably think of those people as retarded or soemthing, don't we?

now you tell me that...fast forward 45 minutes? that would have been nice to know..then i could have been on topic....fuck you....i am too high for this lol

• Banned
now you tell me that...fast forward 45 minutes? that would have been nice to know..then i could have been on topic....fuck you....i am too high for this lol

Did you read the OP?

discuss...

but ed has a good point...why are there people who have overcome the "god gene"

Perhaps they've devolved rather than evolved?

In other words...maybe they didn't "overcome", but rather they haven't arrived in the first place.

but ed has a good point...why are there people who have overcome the "god gene"

Perhaps they've devolved rather than evolved?

In other words...maybe they didn't "overcome", but rather they haven't arrived in the first place.
Which is why science brings progress and religion brings genocide, hatred, intolerance, and anti-intellectualism? :lol:

Now, if you're done being an idiot- back to the matter at hand, the questions asked in the OP

Which is why science brings progress and religion brings genocide, hatred, intolerance, and anti-intellectualism?

Science is not without blame, afterall it was science that invented the hydrogen bomb.

Science invents most of the weapons used in war.

Now...if you're done being an idiot, I'd be happy to continue. But if not, fuck off.

Which is why science brings progress and religion brings genocide, hatred, intolerance, and anti-intellectualism?
Science is not without blame, afterall it was science that invented the hydrogen bomb.
Science invents most of the weapons used in war.[/QUOTE]

how many wars have been declared by science? Now, now much human blood has been spilled over religion?

How many times have those who use the mathematics of Newton gone to war against and slain those who use the equations of Einstein?

No, if you're done making a fool of yourself, we shall await the arrival of intelligent persons who wish to discuss the OP ;)

how many wars have been declared by science? Now, now much human blood has been spilled over religion?

You seem to be making the invalid presumption that Scientists don't believe in a Higher Power. I would submit that most scientists in history have indeed believed in God. Science and God aren't mutually exclusive like you seem to want to believe. Our universe is more complex than either / or beliefs.

How many times have those who use the mathematics of Newton gone to war against and slain those who use the equations of Einstein?

Again, you seem to be stuck in the mindset of exclusivity. You really need to broaden your mind a bit to incorporate more options in life.

No, if you're done making a fool of yourself, we shall await the arrival of intelligent persons who wish to discuss the OP

How precious! Oooooooooo...I just wanna pinch your cheek! :)

Forum List

Back