a perfect image to describe movie piracy

Not sure if this was covered because I didn't read through the whole thread, but what about music mix cassettes that people used to make and pass out to their friends or special someone?

How much different is/was that?

Yup. Aren't those songs copyrighted as well? Is the law more stringent regarding movies vs. music?

Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:

The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
The nature of the copyrighted work
The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
The distinction between fair use and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission.

U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

Ummm ... I, like, SO didn't come here to work. Or think. :eusa_shhh:

:D

Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:

The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
The nature of the copyrighted work
The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
The distinction between fair use and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission.

U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

Ummm ... I, like, SO didn't come here to work. Or think. :eusa_shhh:

:D

:lol:

Got me but both are illegal.

That's my thought . . . except iTunes has 'Home Sharing' which lets you 'share' your music with all other computers in your house. So if I buy a song from iTunes I can then put it in my library as well as my college kid's and my youngest kids. They don't purchase it but they have it.

So if it's illegal, how does iTunes do this?

I have a very extensive collection of movies on DVD. The vast amjority of them are produced before 1995. I'm waiting for delivery of The African Queen, His Girl Friday, Cabin in the Sky and a Mae West anthology.

New movies suck. Just special effects, explosions and crappy stories. Give me Billy Wilder, you can keep Cameron Crowe.

Don't know about the Mae West anthology, but the other two are classic. Especially "The African Queen".

I wish they made movies like that today, but then again, they don't make people like that today.
For the classic movie lover and collector, The African Queen has been sort of a Holy Grail. The release to DVD isn't happening until the end of March this year! The current hardest to find DVD is the Orson Welles' production of Booth Tarkington's The Magnificent Ambersons.

Since Christmas and my birthday five weeks later, I've added: Ninochka, Ace in the Hole, A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Jailhouse Rock, Woodstock, King Creole, True Grit, The Women, The More the Merrier and Fort Apache. I got a lot of gift certificates!

Got me but both are illegal.

That's my thought . . . except iTunes has 'Home Sharing' which lets you 'share' your music with all other computers in your house. So if I buy a song from iTunes I can then put it in my library as well as my college kid's and my youngest kids. They don't purchase it but they have it.

So if it's illegal, how does iTunes do this?

I assume that iTuines has reached an agreement with the artists to allow this.

I can buy a gun at wally world. However many uses of that gun are illegal.
K. But there are legal uses for that gun as well, right?

IF we've established that is is not ever legal to "pirate" movies, then why is there software available for purchase legitimately? Or am I missing something?

Other than a lot of sleep lately ... :redface:

I can buy a gun at wally world. However many uses of that gun are illegal.
K. But there are legal uses for that gun as well, right?

IF we've established that is is not ever legal to "pirate" movies, then why is there software available for purchase legitimately? Or am I missing something?

Other than a lot of sleep lately ... :redface:

You can legaly buy certain burgulary tools. You can legaly buy the hardware to make tons of CD, VCR, DVD and other media. It's how you use those products that determines whether the activity is legal or not. Also manufactures can make and sell some products that if used puts you at odds with the law (Note disclaimers that come with said products). If you chose to purchase and use said products it's your responsibility and you will take the fall.

I never understood how its stealing. in my case I would never under any circumstances go see a movie in a threatre. I have a perfectly good home theartre setup here where I don't have to use crappy bathrooms, be around a bunch of loud strangers, pay $10 for popcorn etc. so basically the movie industry would never get money from me anyway and I am taking nothing tangible from them so Id on't see how its stealing. If I were to go to best buy and steal a DVD then it is different because best buy just lost $ since they paid for the disc and all that. I also would be perfectly willing to pay to stream new movies in like I do for old ones through netflix or rent/buy blu rays of new movies when they come out. but since the movie industry would rather sue people than innovate, piracy will continue to grow.

you can't understand how taking someone else's intellectual property; something they created, paid for and produced, with THEIR money... is stealing?

not in the usual sense. the producers aren't losing anything from it. I would never pay for it in a theater as stated before so they would never get money from me anyway. they aren't paying for the bandwith to download it since they don't host it etc. I am not taking anything from them directly and they are not losing any sales or money from my actions.

:eusa_eh:

☭proletarian☭;2025459 said:
no. i don't think so

Well I hope you do not find out the hard way that you are incorrect.

I thought the courts ruled it was fine, like making a copy of a tape or CD.

I thought they ruled it was the act over braking the protection that was illegal?

The owner of the legal DVD is maybe allowed to make a copy for themselves I think, but not allowed to give it to anyone else.

I thin I know why Blu is confused. Understanding the concept of intellectual property requires intellect.

Forum List

Back