a perfect image to describe movie piracy

no. i don't think so

Well I hope you do not find out the hard way that you are incorrect.

if it went to court you would not get in trouble for copying your own, bought material.

distribution would get you busted though.

But downloading illegal copies or copying one someone else bought is illegal AND wrong.

Is copying a physical patented invention wrong?
Is copying/using a program someone else wrote wrong?

Last edited:
I never understood how its stealing. in my case I would never under any circumstances go see a movie in a threatre. I have a perfectly good home theartre setup here where I don't have to use crappy bathrooms, be around a bunch of loud strangers, pay $10 for popcorn etc. so basically the movie industry would never get money from me anyway and I am taking nothing tangible from them so I don't see how its stealing. If I were to go to best buy and steal a DVD then it is different because best buy just lost $ since they paid for the disc and all that. I also would be perfectly willing to pay to stream new movies in like I do for old ones through netflix or rent/buy blu rays of new movies when they come out. but since the movie industry would rather sue people than innovate, piracy will continue to grow.

Then you are one stupid fuck!!

care to elaborate? I seriously doubt you could come up with a strong argument on how downloading some non-tangible item while using a medium not controlled by the producer steals from them.

No, your post speaks for itself. You don't see it as stealing and that makes you one stupid fuck.

Well I hope you do not find out the hard way that you are incorrect.

if it went to court you would not get in trouble for copying your own, bought material.

But downloading illegal copies or copying one someone else bought is illegal AND wrong.

if you aren't profiting from it then no

Does the phrase "downloading ILLEGAL copies" mean anything at all to you?!
Regardless of why you are using it, it is still theft or in this case aiding and abetting.

Umm the law sees it differently.
And I think that interpretation would be what prevails in court.

Like the music downloads, did they have to profit?

and what is profit, If I get something for free that I would normally have to purchase to have, do I profit?

If someone steals your TV but does not sell it for a profit and only watches Fox on it, is that a crime?

Last edited:
care to elaborate? I seriously doubt you could come up with a strong argument on how downloading some non-tangible item while using a medium not controlled by the producer steals from them.

No, your post speaks for itself. You don't see it as stealing and that makes you one stupid fuck.

so as usual you have nothing to back up your claim

Nothing at all, just the law.

Umm the law sees it differently.
And I think that interpretation would be what prevails in court.

Like the music downloads, did they have to profit?

and what is profit, If I get something for free that I would normally have to purchase to have, do I profit?

If someone steals your TV but does not sell it for a profit and only watches Fox on it, is that a crime?

music downloads no. tv is something tangible being taken from the owner so yes it is a crime

is it a crime to buy a movie or cd and have 100 friends come over and watch the movie or listen to the music with you? how is that different from letting 100 people download it from you after you rip the cd or the movie?

Regardless of why you are using it, it is still theft or in this case aiding and abetting.

how they are illegal if someone bought the material and then wanted to share it with you? :/ see my previous question

how they are illegal if someone bought the material and then wanted to share it with you? :/ see my previous question

Why do you think THE LAW calls it downloading illegal copies? Sharing would be letting you listen or watch on his/her computer, ipod, etc., not downloading it on yours.

I have a very extensive collection of movies on DVD. The vast amjority of them are produced before 1995. I'm waiting for delivery of The African Queen, His Girl Friday, Cabin in the Sky and a Mae West anthology.

New movies suck. Just special effects, explosions and crappy stories. Give me Billy Wilder, you can keep Cameron Crowe.

Don't know about the Mae West anthology, but the other two are classic. Especially "The African Queen".

I wish they made movies like that today, but then again, they don't make people like that today.

Why do you think THE LAW calls it downloading illegal copies? Sharing would be letting you listen or watch on his/her computer, ipod, etc., not downloading it on yours.

There is a difference between "loaning someone something" and making a copy of it and giving it to them. Again, it's called stealing.

Its not really "stealing"

Kind of like "borrowing"

I asked about this a bit ago but with converting youtube videos to mp3. They have many programs to do this, Firefox even has them as add-ons. Is this stealing? Is it stealing if it's JobBob from Snowed-in-ville playing his version of 'Summertime Blues' that he put up on youtube? Is it stealing if it's the original artist/song? If so why don't the powers that be (and I don't know who that is) shut these programs down?

Not sure if this was covered because I didn't read through the whole thread, but what about music mix cassettes that people used to make and pass out to their friends or special someone?

How much different is/was that?

Not sure if this was covered because I didn't read through the whole thread, but what about music mix cassettes that people used to make and pass out to their friends or special someone?

How much different is/was that?

Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:

The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
The nature of the copyrighted work
The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
The distinction between fair use and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission.

U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

Forum List

Back