a perfect image to describe movie piracy

blu

Sep 21, 2009
GxzeV.jpg

how is it immoral O_O

It's called stealing.

I never understood how its stealing. in my case I would never under any circumstances go see a movie in a threatre. I have a perfectly good home theartre setup here where I don't have to use crappy bathrooms, be around a bunch of loud strangers, pay $10 for popcorn etc. so basically the movie industry would never get money from me anyway and I am taking nothing tangible from them so Id on't see how its stealing. If I were to go to best buy and steal a DVD then it is different because best buy just lost $ since they paid for the disc and all that. I also would be perfectly willing to pay to stream new movies in like I do for old ones through netflix or rent/buy blu rays of new movies when they come out. but since the movie industry would rather sue people than innovate, piracy will continue to grow.

I have a very extensive collection of movies on DVD. The vast amjority of them are produced before 1995. I'm waiting for delivery of The African Queen, His Girl Friday, Cabin in the Sky and a Mae West anthology.

New movies suck. Just special effects, explosions and crappy stories. Give me Billy Wilder, you can keep Cameron Crowe.

Yup, it may be a bitch but the laws are there to protect the copyright holder. If I come up with an idea, or product that can make me money and someone "pirates" it, then that person and all who "support" him are in fact stealing from me. I have no love for the movie and recording industry but theft is theft.

how is it immoral O_O

It's called stealing.

I never understood how its stealing. in my case I would never under any circumstances go see a movie in a threatre. I have a perfectly good home theartre setup here where I don't have to use crappy bathrooms, be around a bunch of loud strangers, pay $10 for popcorn etc. so basically the movie industry would never get money from me anyway and I am taking nothing tangible from them so I don't see how its stealing. If I were to go to best buy and steal a DVD then it is different because best buy just lost $ since they paid for the disc and all that. I also would be perfectly willing to pay to stream new movies in like I do for old ones through netflix or rent/buy blu rays of new movies when they come out. but since the movie industry would rather sue people than innovate, piracy will continue to grow.

Then you are one stupid fuck!!

It's called stealing.

I never understood how its stealing. in my case I would never under any circumstances go see a movie in a threatre. I have a perfectly good home theartre setup here where I don't have to use crappy bathrooms, be around a bunch of loud strangers, pay $10 for popcorn etc. so basically the movie industry would never get money from me anyway and I am taking nothing tangible from them so I don't see how its stealing. If I were to go to best buy and steal a DVD then it is different because best buy just lost $ since they paid for the disc and all that. I also would be perfectly willing to pay to stream new movies in like I do for old ones through netflix or rent/buy blu rays of new movies when they come out. but since the movie industry would rather sue people than innovate, piracy will continue to grow.

Now there's an accurate and concise comment.

the FBI warning states its indended for private use only. there's the loop hole. so you can legally burn it. hence the reason there are tons of DVD burining software available,

its distribution that makes it illegal.

dth116.gif

add to it the DVD is encrypted. so the software has to remove it. the current encryption is CSS. Content Scramble System. added by Sony and Disney.

I never understood how its stealing. in my case I would never under any circumstances go see a movie in a threatre. I have a perfectly good home theartre setup here where I don't have to use crappy bathrooms, be around a bunch of loud strangers, pay $10 for popcorn etc. so basically the movie industry would never get money from me anyway and I am taking nothing tangible from them so Id on't see how its stealing. If I were to go to best buy and steal a DVD then it is different because best buy just lost $ since they paid for the disc and all that. I also would be perfectly willing to pay to stream new movies in like I do for old ones through netflix or rent/buy blu rays of new movies when they come out. but since the movie industry would rather sue people than innovate, piracy will continue to grow.

you can't understand how taking someone else's intellectual property; something they created, paid for and produced, with THEIR money... is stealing?

the FBI warning states its indended for private use only. there's the loop hole. so you can legally burn it. hence the reason there are tons of DVD burining software available,

dth116.gif

add to it the DVD is encrypted. so the software has to remove it. the current encryption is CSS. Content Scramble System. added by Sony and Disney.

Umm it say "any copying or....is strictly prohibited"

Last edited:

dth116.gif

Umm except for home use.

dth116.gif

Umm except for home use.

Is sold for home use.
But any copying or distribution is strictly prohibited.

Pretty clear and understandable to me.

It's called stealing.

care to elaborate? I seriously doubt you could come up with a strong argument on how downloading some non-tangible item while using a medium not controlled by the producer steals from them.

you can't understand how taking someone else's intellectual property; something they created, paid for and produced, with THEIR money... is stealing?

not in the usual sense. the producers aren't losing anything from it. I would never pay for it in a theater as stated before so they would never get money from me anyway. they aren't paying for the bandwith to download it since they don't host it etc. I am not taking anything from them directly and they are not losing any sales or money from my actions.

New Topics

Forum List

Back