A Peek At The Future?

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

See if you can figure out why it is called the Bill of Rights.

Nor am I surprised that Georgie is having the same problem with the concept.
So....you guys studied in the same sewer?

Even those of us who work in a sewer understand that

We also understand the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution

Shows the value of a Columbia University education doesn't it?

Ooo.....I see the green-eyed monster.

Wrong again, Grinch.....
....as evidenced by the following:

"An Act designating March 16 as “Liberty Day” in the State of New Jersey, memorializing the Congress of the United States to pass legislation designating “Liberty Day” annually and supplementing Title 36 of the Revised Statutes.

Whereas, As Americans, we enjoy rights and liberties rooted in the cherished documents that gave birth to our nation, those being the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution, with its Bill of Rights"
ftp://www.njleg.state.nj.us/20022003/S1500/1199_I1.HTM

But, as soon as you notify 'em, I'm certain they'll cancel it.

Wow....nice cut and paste

Where again does it say the Constitution "memorializes unalienable rights"?

Even in New Jersey we know about the Declaration of Independence

Do the two documents exist in seperate realities? Or are they instead a suite of documents delineating government and its power over the individual (or more importantly the individuals power over the government) to be read together and not, as you seem to believe, as seperate entities.

Westy....Grinch-winger's only saying that 'cause he wants to support Kagan and Obama's infringing free speech, he hates religion, and wants to ban Tea Party rallys....

It's just that sewer workers have a better comprehension of our founding documents than Columbia scholars

Where again does the Constitution "memorialize unalienable rights" again?

Come on professor....has to be in there somewhere

Out of the sewer and visit...

The National Archives is the official library where the records of the three branches of the U.S. government are kept and preserved. The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are on display here.

1. Are we moving toward a nation without the unalienable rights memorialized in the Constitution? Can you imagine a United States President nominating a candidate for the Supreme Court, who opposed the first amendment to the Constitution? Well, one did:

"I take it as a given that we live in a society marred by racial and gender inequality, that certain forms of speech perpetuate and promote this inequality, and that the uncoerced disappearance of such speech would be cause for great elation."

In a 1996 paper, "Private Speech, Public Purpose: The Role of Governmental Motive in First Amendment Doctrine," Kagan argued it may be proper to suppress speech because it is offensive to society or to the government.
That paper asserted First Amendment doctrine is comprised of "motives and ... actions infested with them" and she goes so far as to claim that "First Amendment law is best understood and most readily explained as a kind of motive-hunting."

Kagan's name was also on a brief, United States V. Stevens, dug up by the Washington Examiner, stating: "Whether a given category of speech enjoys First Amendment protection depends upon a categorical balancing of the value of the speech against its societal costs."
If the government doesn't like what you say, Elena Kagan believes it is the duty of courts to tell you to shut up. If some pantywaist is offended by what you say, Elena Kagan believes your words can be "disappeared".
WyBlog -- Elena Kagan's America: some speech can be "disappeared"
Elena Kagan Radical anti-gun nut? « The Daley Gator

2. Progressives don't believe that there are any rights that the government cannot cancel, and we have a President and a Supreme Court Justice who believe in censorship. In fact, this administration seems to have an inordinate 'sensitivity' toward a certain major religion....What happens when we put those two views together?

Oriana Fallaci, was one of the best known of European journalists. In 2006, the ‘New Yorker’ wrote that after 9/11, Fallaci wrote “three short angry books” that “the Western world is in danger of being engulfed by radical Islam.” Life and Letters: The Agitator : The New Yorker

a. In 2002, a French NGO, ‘The Movement Against Racism and Friendship Between Peoples,” tried to get her book ‘The Rage and the Pride,” banned.

b. In 2003, Fallaci was sued in Switzerland by the Islamic Center of Geneva, charging racism. The Swiss judiciary issued an arrest warrant for a criminal trial.

c. In 2005, Fallaci was ordered to stand trial in Italy for “vilification” of Islam. The trial became moot, as she died in 2006 of cancer.

3. In 2008, Brigitte Bardot, actress, was convicted and heavily fined for an open letter to Nicolas Sarkozy, in which she objected to the ritual slaughter of sheep during the Islamic feast of Eid. Is Brigitte Bardot Bashing Islam? - TIME

4. We all recall the reaction of the Muslim world to the publication, in Denmark, of the Mohammed cartoons. At the United Nations….” The U.N. high commissioner for human rights, former Supreme Court of Canada justice Louise Arbour, replied to the OIC, [Organisation of Islamic Cooperation] "I find alarming any behaviors that disregard the beliefs of others." She launched investigations into "racism" and "disrespect for belief," and asked for "an official explanation" from the Danish government. However, despite being a professed defender of human rights, she showed no alarm at the OIC's disregard for the Danes' belief in and commitment to a free press.” The Mohammed Cartoons | The Weekly Standard

5. What is the argument that the United States will never lose it’s vaunted love of freedom? Who can look at the above, and not see into what we are descending?
What do we stand for…..and when?
Do we stand for anything?

a. “How horrible, fantastic, incredible it is that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas-masks here because of a quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing. It seems still more impossible that a quarrel which has already been settled in principle should be the subject of war.”
Neville Chamberlain

How long before the Left begins some campaign based on a "Better Red Than Dead" theme?

Inalienable rights were not memorialized in the Constitution. They were a keystone of the Declaration of Independence

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

actually it was the perfuit of happiness, lol

We also understand the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution

Ooo.....I see the green-eyed monster.

Wrong again, Grinch.....
....as evidenced by the following:

"An Act designating March 16 as “Liberty Day” in the State of New Jersey, memorializing the Congress of the United States to pass legislation designating “Liberty Day” annually and supplementing Title 36 of the Revised Statutes.

Whereas, As Americans, we enjoy rights and liberties rooted in the cherished documents that gave birth to our nation, those being the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution, with its Bill of Rights"
ftp://www.njleg.state.nj.us/20022003/S1500/1199_I1.HTM

But, as soon as you notify 'em, I'm certain they'll cancel it.

Wow....nice cut and paste

Where again does it say the Constitution "memorializes unalienable rights"?

Even in New Jersey we know about the Declaration of Independence

The Bill of RIGHTS

...and hop on over to... Independence Hall is the centerpiece of Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, on Chestnut Street between 5th and 6th Streets. It is known primarily as the location where both the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution were debated and adopted.

Westy....Grinch-winger's only saying that 'cause he wants to support Kagan and Obama's infringing free speech, he hates religion, and wants to ban Tea Party rallys....

It's just that sewer workers have a better comprehension of our founding documents than Columbia scholars

Where again does the Constitution "memorialize unalienable rights" again?

Come on professor....has to be in there somewhere

Out of the sewer and visit...

The National Archives is the official library where the records of the three branches of the U.S. government are kept and preserved. The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are on display here.

Been there many times professor

Maybe you should read both so you can tell the difference

Let me help you

Bill of Rights........Constitution
Declaration of inalienable rights........Declaration of Independence

Last edited:
I do believe that Reagan suppressed the courts ability to sentence those guilty by strict guidelines he prescribed into law. I believe that the most cruel and unusual law he was able to install was the three strikes law.
He perverted the most basic tenets of the rights of the convicted. Next is the social stigma of never being able to pay your debt to society by wearing a conviction for life.

Both, because I neglected to get you a Christmas present....and because I love rubbing your nose in your mistakes.....the following:

1. George Mason’s ideas helped to shape the Founding documents of the United States, but few Americans remember him today. The words he used when writing the Virginia Declaration of Rights and the Virginia Constitution of 1776 inspired the nation’s Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights.
Bill of Rights Institute: George Mason

2. That there be a Declaration or Bill of Rights, asserting and securing from Encroachment, the Essential and Unalienable Rights of the People, in some such manner as the following. —
George Mason's Master Draft of the Bill of Rights

How you feel now, booyyyyyeeeeee

I do believe that Reagan suppressed the courts ability to sentence those guilty by strict guidelines he prescribed into law. I believe that the most cruel and unusual law he was able to install was the three strikes law.
He perverted the most basic tenets of the rights of the convicted. Next is the social stigma of never being able to pay your debt to society by wearing a conviction for life.

Is this....autobiographical....a ....personal revelation of some kind?

Both, because I neglected to get you a Christmas present....and because I love rubbing your nose in your mistakes.....the following:

1. George Mason’s ideas helped to shape the Founding documents of the United States, but few Americans remember him today. The words he used when writing the Virginia Declaration of Rights and the Virginia Constitution of 1776 inspired the nation’s Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights.

2. That there be a Declaration or Bill of Rights, asserting and securing from Encroachment, the Essential and Unalienable Rights of the People, in some such manner as the following. —

George Mason? Why not quote Perry Mason while you are at it

Neither is one of our founding documents...

you believe that Obama is a distorted implementater of basic rights to citizens. I was showing how Reagan was and did distort the basic right to not have cruel and unusual punishment.

How the heck can you be so wrong every time????

Sewer fumes??

"During the Federal Convention, on September 12, 1787, Elbridge Gerry and George Mason proposed that a committee be appointed to prepare a bill of rights. This proposal was unanimously rejected by the State delegations, and in consequence both withheld their signatures from the new Constitution. Mason wrote his Objections to This Constitution of Government which began, "There is no Declaration of Rights, and the laws of the general government being paramount to the laws and constitution of the several States, the Declarations of Rights in the separate States are no security."

The provisions of the bill of rights proposed by the New York ratifying convention were primarly drawn from Mason's Master Draft, though in differing order. North Carolina proposed a bill of rights whose provisions were nearly identical to those of the Virginia convention. The proposals later tendered by the ratifying convention of Rhode Island were probably taken directly from the Master Draft.

The bill of rights proposed by James Madison to the Congress on June 8, 1789 was a nearly verbatim copy of Virginia's proposal, which was a nearly verbatim copy of Mason's Master Draft. Elbridge Gerry probably had a copy of this Draft before him during the congressional debates on the amendments."

Once again, a conservative is never so tall a when she stoops to educate a liberal.

You're welcome......booyyyyeeeeee!

don't you just love sadists?

you believe that Obama is a distorted implementater of basic rights to citizens. I was showing how Reagan was and did distort the basic right to not have cruel and unusual punishment.

So....wadda you think about Obama insinuating a Justice who believes in restricting of free speech onto the Supreme Court.

Anti-American....wouldn't you say?

You're not afraid to answer that...are you, drop-draws?

Sewer fumes??

"During the Federal Convention, on September 12, 1787, Elbridge Gerry and George Mason proposed that a committee be appointed to prepare a bill of rights. This proposal was unanimously rejected by the State delegations, and in consequence both withheld their signatures from the new Constitution. Mason wrote his Objections to This Constitution of Government which began, "There is no Declaration of Rights, and the laws of the general government being paramount to the laws and constitution of the several States, the Declarations of Rights in the separate States are no security."

The provisions of the bill of rights proposed by the New York ratifying convention were primarly drawn from Mason's Master Draft, though in differing order. North Carolina proposed a bill of rights whose provisions were nearly identical to those of the Virginia convention. The proposals later tendered by the ratifying convention of Rhode Island were probably taken directly from the Master Draft.

The bill of rights proposed by James Madison to the Congress on June 8, 1789 was a nearly verbatim copy of Virginia's proposal, which was a nearly verbatim copy of Mason's Master Draft. Elbridge Gerry probably had a copy of this Draft before him during the congressional debates on the amendments."

Once again, a conservative is never so tall a when she stoops to educate a liberal.

No need to be embarrassed that you can't tell the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution PC

A lot of uneducated people make the same mistake

So....wadda you think about Obama insinuating a Justice who believes in restricting of free speech onto the Supreme Court.

I believe it is wrong, yet I have not the power or the ability to change it.

Sewer fumes??

No need to be embarrassed that you can't tell the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution PC

A lot of uneducated people make the same mistake

This is the best you can do???

Wipe away those tears....not the first dozen times you've been proven wrong.

Inalienable rights were not memorialized in the Constitution. They were a keystone of the Declaration of Independence

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

I was accepted at Columbia for graduate school and turned them down.

If you are wondering what to get Political Chic for Chrustmas, scissors and paste are always appropriate.

I believe it is wrong, yet I have not the power or the ability to change it.

Not so fast!
It's a major reason for choosing for whom to vote.....

If you are wondering what to get Political Chic for Chrustmas, scissors and paste are always appropriate.

Advice: set the controls and steer for the center of the sun

"I was accepted at Columbia for graduate school and turned them down."

Tell the whole story!

It was to be studied in the psych department....and they settled for the Elephant Man.

Forum List

Back