A partisan discussion of the rule of law

Guess who else doesn't know what the rule of law means.

Jonathon Turley.

He recently testified that the way Obama is ignoring laws is effectively returning us to the very thing we fought a revolution against, the royal prerogative to ignore the law.

today they do in the open what yesterday they did or attempted to do covertly

Bush vs Gore was a 7-2 decision. Bush was right, the only contention the left had after agreeing to that was whether there was time to do a recount.

Heller affirmed the 2nd and was the right call. As for Citizens, why is it bad when you think it is ok for Unions to do it?

Patriot act was an over reach but one supported whole heartily by the democrats.

There was no torture, nothing was done to prisoners that was not also done to American service men in training. As for indefinite detention, go ahead name a single US citizen so treated?

I think you have gone overboard in repeating your premise as a justification for its validity. Even the Court that delivered Bush v Gore didn't want it to be precedent.

A consensus in a bad decision only means that a larger number of people were wrong, it doesn't make things like the Patriot Act right.

Come to think of it, if public consensus is the standard, why do we need a Bill of Rights?

Bush vs Gore was a 7-2 decision. Bush was right, the only contention the left had after agreeing to that was whether there was time to do a recount.

Heller affirmed the 2nd and was the right call. As for Citizens, why is it bad when you think it is ok for Unions to do it?

Patriot act was an over reach but one supported whole heartily by the democrats.

There was no torture, nothing was done to prisoners that was not also done to American service men in training. As for indefinite detention, go ahead name a single US citizen so treated?

I think you have gone overboard in repeating your premise as a justification for its validity.
I'm sure you hold the same view for 7-2 decisions that you agree with.

XXXXXXX why don't you present an argument as to how the 7-2 decision was unsound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter Berkowitz: Liberals' Love-Hate Relationship With the Law | RealClearPolitics

That essay ends on a somewhat nonpartisan note but obviously the piece is partisan, and it resonates with my observances.

What examples do liberals have of high profile Republicans riding roughshod over the law the way the Obama administration and Washington Democrats have done in recent years?

The Bush administration - Patriot Act, Torture, Overtime rules "overhaul", Department of Homeland Security, No child left behind, indefinite detention.

Justice Scalia/Cheney - Bush v. Gore, Citizen's United, Heller.

That was an outstanding example of partisanship. When asked to find examples of times Republicans ignored the law as written and unilaterally rewrote legislation you pop in with numerous examples of them using the legislative and judicial process to come up with results you disagree with. I should pos rep you for an outstanding example of how not to win a debate.

By your reasoning, there have been no violations of law or the Constitution during the Obama administration.

The Bush administration - Patriot Act, Torture, Overtime rules "overhaul", Department of Homeland Security, No child left behind, indefinite detention.

Justice Scalia/Cheney - Bush v. Gore, Citizen's United, Heller.

That was an outstanding example of partisanship. When asked to find examples of times Republicans ignored the law as written and unilaterally rewrote legislation you pop in with numerous examples of them using the legislative and judicial process to come up with results you disagree with. I should pos rep you for an outstanding example of how not to win a debate.

By your reasoning, there have been no violations of law or the Constitution during the Obama administration.

When did I reason that? Was it when Obama told Congress that if they passed a law that implemented the fixes to the ACA he put in by executive decree? Was it when he declared that Congress is the only employer in that is allowed to ignore tax law and subsidize health plans purchased through the exchange without the employee having to pay more in income taxes without asking Congress to rewrite the law? XXXXXXX

With regard to the ACA, for example, both the president and democrats followed and obeyed the rule of law. The Act was subject to judicial review. Opponents of the Act were afforded their due process both at the ballot box and in the courts. And now the ACA is recognized and accepted jurisprudence, simply put: Constitutional.

It's Constitutional because government granted itself the power. Got it.

One question, what are the first three words of the Constitution?

I pointed out a logical inconsistency in your argument which you obviously did not get, as you made an inappropriate reply. That's OK. You made my point. XXXXXXX Whenever you feel capable of replying on the level of ideas, we might have a useful discussion. Until then, try to enjoy life more.

Forum List

Back